TR Chat Room
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Black Lotus
Fluffy-Esque

Burkina Faso (Upper Volta)
1043 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2002 :  11:17:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Black Lotus's Homepage  Send Black Lotus an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Since I'm a sickley bastard and I can't do much this weekend, I'm going to build a web based chat room for TR fans. I'll let you know when I'm done and have the site up and running. Probably be all setup tonight or tomorrow.

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2002 :  12:52:55 PM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Tru... tru.
-J

Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2002 :  1:43:18 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
"werd"

-Jason-

I am a servant of the power behind the nothing.
Go to Top of Page

Saint Jude
Alien Abductee

USA
2144 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2002 :  2:32:49 PM  Show Profile  Send Saint Jude an AOL message  Reply with Quote
i hear dat.

Patriotism is a maggot in their heads. - Henry D. Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

Isaac
Chatterbox

USA
461 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2002 :  3:36:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll be smackin' my dick and havin' a bud.

3----------------------->

Isaac
Go to Top of Page

Black Lotus
Fluffy-Esque

1043 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2002 :  6:05:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Black Lotus's Homepage  Send Black Lotus an AOL message  Reply with Quote
It's going to be hosted at www.public-enemy.net - just waiting for the server to get all setup and I'll build the web page :)

Edit:
Only problem is, the damn pop-up ads. I'll have to wait a bit and see how popular the chat room is before I spend the $75 to register it.

Well, lemme go make it look pretty at least ;)

Go to Top of Page

Dave S
Chatterbox

USA
145 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2002 :  10:28:47 PM  Show Profile  Send Dave S an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Why don't we just have an IRC room somewhere, I think that would be a lot easier...several people on this board are probably experienced with IRC...

ok i just don't want to leave IE open on my desktop all day!

Go to Top of Page

Black Lotus
Fluffy-Esque

1043 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2002 :  11:07:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Black Lotus's Homepage  Send Black Lotus an AOL message  Reply with Quote
You have a point dave, but there is definately a learning curve with IRC and some people probably wouldn't bother.

Aside from that, IRC isn't a real safe means of communication - I know 150+ ways from sunday how to hack into your comptuer, or cause damage to it from an IRC server. Windoze computers are especially easy to hack into or bring offline - which I assume most of the users here are running.

Go to Top of Page

Dave S
Chatterbox

USA
145 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2002 :  11:23:35 PM  Show Profile  Send Dave S an AOL message  Reply with Quote
It is possible to allow people using a web page to participate in an irc room, i'm pretty sure. As for getting hacked while on irc...i've been using it steadily for six years and i've never had a problem...but then again, i've probably never been in the same irc room as you lotus =D j/k

Go to Top of Page

Black Lotus
Fluffy-Esque

1043 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2002 :  12:32:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Black Lotus's Homepage  Send Black Lotus an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:

It is possible to allow people using a web page to participate in an irc room, i'm pretty sure. As for getting hacked while on irc...i've been using it steadily for six years and i've never had a problem...but then again, i've probably never been in the same irc room as you lotus =D j/k

Yeah, I did look into the IRC web interfaces, they're quite intuitive and I do like them. They're also quite a bit more secure than a direct IRC link - but, not 100% =)

As far as hacking, I doubt it would happen, but it does pose a possible risk. Even with a web interface.

It's easier to just do it all in the web, centralize the location for easier administration and maintenence. I can deal with pop-up ads, just close 'em when the load. Or, download a pop-up ad killer from cnet.com (or anywhere else on the web for that matter), they work great.

I'm just looking to do thie simplist, cheapest, fastest chat room for now. If people want me to upgrade to a better version, I probably would - if they donated of course. I just figure a live chat room would be pretty cool to have for us.

I figure, one or two nights a week set a time where we all know there will be people there. And any other time, it's a hit or a miss.

At any rate, it should be ready to rock by tomorrow. Just waiting for my domain name to update with the new nameserver information I added tonight. Then, I get to build my own website - fun, fun, fun.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000