HELP with Guitar Lessons!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

crash258
Chatterbox

USA
256 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2002 :  9:02:16 PM  Show Profile  Send crash258 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Im going to give my first guitar lesson tomorrow. The guy Im teaching can play a few chords, but cant switch back and forth very well. His strumming also needs work.

Any thoughts?

I thought about concentrating on technique half the lesson, and the other half assign him some songs.

Philip

Sarah
Is Anybody Here?

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2002 :  10:20:22 PM  Show Profile  Send Sarah an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hey there, I started giving lessons recently too and i found out the most important thing you can do for anyone is it teach them good fingering and scales so they can start putting things together themselves. As for chords you really just have to have tons of simple songs they can play with you so they can get used to it. you dont know a chord until its in a song you play. You can just make up some little chord progressions with simple strumming til he can pick it up

Sarah Q
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2002 :  03:25:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Yeah...pick an easy song like Breakfast at Tiffany's (Verse: D G A and Chorus: D A G) which'll teach 'em how to switch chords more quickly. Also a lot of praise will help. If the person thinks he's doing OK, he won't get discouraged.

"War is not about who is right, it is about who is left."
Go to Top of Page

babatunji
Is Anybody Here?

USA
36 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2002 :  05:57:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
greetings,
i've been teaching guitar for quite a few years, and have found that, yes, students get a greater satisfaction learning chords/songs, but scales and modes and proper fingering are way too important to brush aside.
Sarah, you are so right about them being able to put things together on their own. theory is the most powerful tool we musicians have. i had a friend years ago who wanted to learn guitar, but refused to accept a single bit of theory--saying it takes away the ability to play from one's heart. i say it still allows you to play from the heart...only better. some twenty five years later, that friend still sucks on the guitar.
best of luck.

peace.

Go to Top of Page

Isaac
Chatterbox

USA
461 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2002 :  09:40:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I took a few guitar lessons and it pissed me off because the guy kept selecting songs for me to learn that I fucking hated. I tell him I like Dave Matthews and the next lesson he's got me playing Dokken - Breaking the chains!

So definatly like give the kid a big list of simple songs and let him pick. Besides that i'd say teach him some chromatic scales and some finger exercises (with a metronome) to work on good technique, worry about the scales and theory a bit later.

Also I think the best way to learn theory is to, after explaining it, use it to break down a song that the kid already knows. Like "this song is in the key of G, he's using a I, iii, V chord progression, and he's using the pentatonic scale for the solo". I think that would've made it a lot easier for me to learn theory, makes it practical. Just a thought.

3----------------------->

Isaac
Go to Top of Page

Saint Jude
Alien Abductee

USA
2144 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2002 :  1:30:17 PM  Show Profile  Send Saint Jude an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Start with some TOOL, then work your way back.

Patriotism is a maggot in their heads. - Henry D. Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2002 :  9:33:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Yeah! Start with some TR and go from there. If the student doesn't catch on, tell him he wasn't meant to play the guitar.

Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2002 :  05:35:48 AM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Talk about weeding out the men from the boys in a hurry.
-J

Go to Top of Page

Saint Jude
Alien Abductee

USA
2144 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2002 :  2:23:37 PM  Show Profile  Send Saint Jude an AOL message  Reply with Quote
My brother (Dick Mountjoy)learned to play guitar by figuring out Tim songs. which actually was a bit amazing, i guess he just has a shit load of free TIMe on his hands. but thats how he got into the guitar.
So if any of you got questions about how Tim plays a song or want tabs he has a damn good chunck of them, and they are all correct, i hear him play them constantly so i can attest to that.

peace

Patriotism is a maggot in their heads. - Henry D. Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2002 :  8:04:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
So crash...how did it go (despite the fact that our comments came a little late)?

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000