05/04/07 River Street Jazz Cafe Wilkes Barre, PA
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2007 :  4:15:45 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Friday nite may have been our best stop in Wilkes Barre. Although the turnout was not as great as some of our past stops, all the seats were full and it was an amazingly quiet and attentive crowd. Normally with the bar down the whole stage right side of the room the bar chatter can become quite noticeable. This was not the case Friday.

First, Tom had redone the dressing room area and created a door right onto the stage from the dressing room, very convenient. In the past, you had to walk thru the kitchen and hope to not run into one of the servers charging in and out of the doors delivering food and drinks to the patrons. We had talked about this with him many TIMes in the past and were glad to see that it had finally happened. Funnier still was the fact that all 3 of us kept forgetting about the door into the dressing room since we were so used to going thru the kitchen. Great example of "Pavlov's Dog". LOL I think TR only used that door twice, once to go onstage for the show and leave the stage after the show. All other entrances and exits were done the old fashioned way that he had been conditioned from our many past stops at the venue. We decided he might just like walking thru the kitchen. LOL

As well as the new door and dressing room, they also have a new soundsystem that kicked all kinds of ass over the old one even though the old one was pretty good in the past. I don't think we had ever had a BAD show there due to sound, but the new system RAWKED! I am told Tom will be working on a patio as well in the not too distant future. Something to look forward to for next TIMe.

We were treated to an awesome opening set from George Wesley whose reggae/rock/calypso world beat sound always gets the crowd worked up. He even did a late nite set after TR finished and the entire room was up and dancing. I think his late nite set was even more impressive than the the opening set for my tastes at least. GW uses an metal front, MIDI, Martin that I am told there are only 2 of, and he has both. It's quite a setup he uses with a massive bank of pedals allowing him to play every imagineable instrument on the guitar. It really disconcerting, while at the same TIMe amazingly fascinating to see him playing a guitar but hearing a steel drum sound bursting forth from the speakers. Both (c)Rew and myself commented on it. Definitely check out GW if you get the chance and you think your tastes might include a calypso version of Marcus Eaton MEETS TR. GW is also a great singer as well.

After listening to the audience treat George with such respect we knew we were in for a great nite from TR. His set looked a bit like this from his written setlist perspective:

A Sneaky Hollow Beam Of Darkness Somewhere In Eye Land

Loose Enterpretation
Chatterbox/Continue
This Is The One
Betrayal
Dreaming
She's Not Your Woman? A song for drinking
(A True Test of Weightlessness In Space....)
Bird Monkey Breakdown
----------------------------------------------
Sinceritox
Turn It To Love
Do It Yourself
Coco In The Wild
Strominstein Body Parts
Death Squad TV
-------------------------------------------------
The Mind Is A Terrible Waiste to Thing
Smells So Sweet
Soul Sacrifice (dream solo)
-------------------------------------------------
Doom
Ancestors
White House Denies
If The Ocean Had It's Way
------------------------------------------------
Special Jellies
Cold Sweat
some sort a way far away

Sadly given the TIMe that has elapsed since the show I can't recall all the corrections. Not to worry, the show was recorded by 2 sources so I am sure you will all get to hear it. One of them was the same guy who recorded last TIMe and said he had already sent those recordings to jsemon so I would assume he will have this one as well pretty soon. Good thing, because TR premiered and amazing new song tonite, She's Not Your Woman. What an absolutely beautiful, simple song. Lyrically it can bring tears to my eyes the way that "Sister" did in Boston. I have heard it before on a CD TR recorded but I was always unsure if he would ever play it live. I am happy to say he did and it sounded so sweet live. He seemed to enjoy playing it and when I talked to him after he seemed to feel like it would find it's way into future sets. I certainly hope it does, it's amazing.

TR's rendition of Santana's Soul Sacrifice was spectacular tonite as well. The audience particularly seemed to love that one as well as the new, what-seems-to-be fan fave, This Is The One. That song really seems to get the crowd going. I think some folks are someTIMes intimidated by TR's playing at first but when they hear him having fun with a song like this it really lightens the mood and allows people to laugh with TR as well as just enjoy his amazing guitar prowess. He seems to have as much fun playing it as the fans have hearing him sing those crazy lyrics. It always gets a rousing response. When I first heard it in all it's glorious silliness I figured it would be a short lived "novelty" piece but it has definitely grown into a piece that will stand the test of TIMe in TR's setlist.

Thanx to Tom, Jannell, Sara, Henry, Ben and the rest of the staff at River St for taking wonderful care of us as always and making us feel like one of the family. Can't wait for a return engagement and Tom told me he would see about getting Peter Prince on the bill with us our next TIMe thru. Whooohoooo!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson

gnome44
Yak Addict

749 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2007 :  10:24:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great review, Fluffy...but I have to admit, that I'm really bummed out. I went to see TR at the Jazz Cafe last year and had a miserable time.

Since the stage is barely raised it was difficult to see Tim. Also, my friend and I had a nice place up front during the whole opening act...then a bunch of d-bags forced their way in front of us. They (and everyone else it seemed) proceeded to be loud and annoying the whole night. I swore to myself I'd never go back to that venue. And it looks like that was a huge mistake. Oh well.

And George Wesley was absolutely AMAZING! He did the looping really, really well and was able to add a ton of interesting sounds to the songs...including drums, bass, steel drum, piano, organ, etc. He looks cool, sounds cool, has a great message in his songs, and is generally a great musician.

Looks like I might have to put River Street Jazz Cafe back on my TR options.
Go to Top of Page

Hopeful Rolling Waves
Alien Abductee

South Sandwich Islands
2154 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2007 :  07:33:22 AM  Show Profile  Send Hopeful Rolling Waves an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Shit Eric, I was there again! Had I known, I'd have brought you your t-shirt!

http://db.etree.org/hopefulrollingwaves/ < My Trading List
Go to Top of Page

jsemon2
Yak Addict

USA
920 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2007 :  09:41:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit jsemon2's Homepage  Send jsemon2 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
does that mean you video taped jared?

OUT FOR LUNCH
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2007 :  2:14:27 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Sadly, he did not, I think he just wanted to enjoy the show. He got great seats right up front.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson
Go to Top of Page

jsemon2
Yak Addict

USA
920 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2007 :  3:12:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit jsemon2's Homepage  Send jsemon2 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
good for jared then. that boy has taped quite a few shows that I'm still waiting for audio on.

Fluffy can you email me at john@johnsemon.com with some contact info so I can touch bases with you on the audio. Thanks man.

OUT FOR LUNCH
Go to Top of Page

Hopeful Rolling Waves
Alien Abductee

South Sandwich Islands
2154 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2007 :  07:48:39 AM  Show Profile  Send Hopeful Rolling Waves an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I was fucking beat and didn't even say goodbye or hangout afterwards, I just went and passed out in my car and waited for everyone. I have worked 24 or 25 straight 12 hour days outdoors, I am a bit weary. I will be taping Rubylith and Tim at the 7/6 show, so we can all look forward to that one. Yeah the last few shows, I just kinda wanted to watch and listen, too busy too think about taping.

Go to Top of Page

jsemon2
Yak Addict

USA
920 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2007 :  2:28:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit jsemon2's Homepage  Send jsemon2 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
amazing little thing in the middle of "Dreaming"

going through right now tracking the audio....

OUT FOR LUNCH
Go to Top of Page

jsemon2
Yak Addict

USA
920 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2007 :  2:31:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit jsemon2's Homepage  Send jsemon2 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
and yes Fluffy, the audio was been gotten from this guy.

http://www.archive.org/details/treynolds2006-11-18.SP-LSD2.flac16

OUT FOR LUNCH
Go to Top of Page

jsemon2
Yak Addict

USA
920 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2007 :  3:12:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit jsemon2's Homepage  Send jsemon2 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
the tracked labeled "Special Jellies" is the intro Tim did on UMass for "Stream"

is it safe to call it that Fluffy?

OUT FOR LUNCH
Go to Top of Page

jsemon2
Yak Addict

USA
920 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2007 :  3:16:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit jsemon2's Homepage  Send jsemon2 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
00:00:00 Introduction
00:01:01 A Sneaky Hollow Beam Of Darkness Somewhere In Eye Land
00:03:16 Loose Enterpretation
00:07:45 Chatterbox
00:13:09 This Is The One
00:15:11 Betrayal
00:20:35 Dreaming
00:25:54 She's Not Your Woman
00:30:58 A True Test of Weightlessness In Space.... (Bird Monkey Breakdown)
00:34:05 Sinceritox
00:38:19 Turn It Into Love >>
00:41:57 Do It Yourself
00:47:06 Coco In The Wild
00:50:44 Stream >>
00:54:50 Kashmire (1) >>
00:56:06 Unknown Track
00:58:47 Death Squad TV
01:03:28 The Mind Is A Terrible Waiste to Thing
01:07:12 Smells So Sweet
01:10:56 Soul Sacrifice (2)
01:16:38 Improv Noise Track
01:18:11 Doom
01:24:27 Ancestors
01:31:15 White House Denies
01:34:02 If The Ocean
01:39:01 Special Jellies >>
01:40:57 Cold Sweat (3)
01:44:00 Tim Rew's "Go Home" Speech

OUT FOR LUNCH
Go to Top of Page

Redbeard
Is Anybody Here?

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2007 :  10:43:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know these are a little late but i got some great picks from the River Side!

Go to Top of Page

Hopeful Rolling Waves
Alien Abductee

South Sandwich Islands
2154 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2007 :  3:16:39 PM  Show Profile  Send Hopeful Rolling Waves an AOL message  Reply with Quote
George repping Martin hard. I saw MOST of the show...

Go to Top of Page

Kush
Is Anybody Here?

3 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2008 :  11:08:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know, I know, it took forever to get this one seeded but the TR set is available for download here: http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/showthread.php?t=54017

The Geroge Wesley solo opener is available for download or streaming here: http://www.archive.org/details/GeorgeWesley2007-05-04.lsd2.kush.flac16

Catch you on the flip-side!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000