02/21/08 Blue Gator Athens, OH TR3
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2008 :  04:36:53 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Wasn't our last show in Florida? I look out the window and I SEE SNOW! Lots of it. It has definitely taken some adjustment but the WARM reception in Athens tonite really helped to make you forget about the frijid temps outside.

We drove in the nite before the gig. We hit a little bit o weather as we were driving thru the mountainous stretch of I-64 in WV but nothing to unruly. We arrived very late last nite @ our hotel to find Athens pretty covered in snow but the roads and sky were clear. Not the same the next morning as I awoke to something falling from the sky in big white clumps. Having just come from FL & spending alot of TIMe in OBX I was unfamiliar with this phenomenon but searched the recesses of my brain for a memory to identify this strange substance falling from the sky. Then it came back to me, SNOW! And alot of snow it was. Roads were covered all day and nite and every trip to or from the club was a test of patience, endurance and precision driving. In fact we had to stop and buy an ice scraper. LOL It seemed as if Athens had no interest in clearing the roads. Made me start to worry as I pondering our impending drive to Notre Dame and parts north as the Weather Channel was predicting snow until about Sunday and the area of prediction covered anywhere I was going to be driving for the next few days. How lucky am I? We will see what tomorrow & the next few days bring but I hope it's warmer weather and clearer roads. LOL

Well as I mentioned earlier it was a WARM reception @ the Blue Gator starting with a fast and EZ soundcheck where TR3 went over 2 new songs learned since the Jan run of dates. Both ended up being played during the set making it the debut of both. After soundcheck we had yet another wonderful dinner downstairs. I have mentioned it before, the food at The Blue Gator is awesome and tonite did not dissappoint. After that it was back to the hotel to kill a bit of TIMe as the dressing room at the Blue Gator is a tad small. We always thought this when there were only 3 of us on the road. Now with 4 it somehow seems even smaller. I guess that makes sense. LOL So we opted to hang back at the hotel until gig TIMe. Another trip thru the winter wonderland or as the Weather Channel called it "Midwest Wintery Mess".

TR3 took the stage at about 11:10 PM to smallish but super enthusiatic audience and blazed thru the following setlist:

See You In Your Dreams
Sweet Spot
Ohio
Indoctrinate
Caveman
Backdoor
Wind Just Blew The Door Open
Jesus Is Just Alright
Uncover The Reason
Kabbalah
Burning Season
Matte Kudasai
Industrial Complex
Skeleton Walls
How Many More Times
Sex Machine
Test of Time
Move On Ahead
Victory Express
Donkey Bong
Meaning To Tell You
Do You Wanna
Purple Rain
Hocus Pocus
Slippin Into Darkness
Whole Lotta Luv
---------------------------
Don't Know What

Where to begin? Well Purple Rain was not on the original setlist, it was added, otherwise the set was played as written. Burning Season(dedicated to you-know-what) Victory Express were the 2 brand new songs played live for the first TIMe tontie. Both shred but Burning Season is off the hook! I had heard band rehearsal recordings of both of them the day before in the van as we drove to Athens. I thought they were great then but those versions did not do them justice I came to learn. At soundcheck I was blown away yet again by the LIVE versions. Way over the top. Both songs are instrumental and will prolly stay that way according to TR. He says they already say what they need to. LOL Matte Kudasai seemed to be a stand-out for the audience as they gave the most righteous crowd response to date. While I was outside getting my phone charger outta the van I overheard a guy trying to entice his friend into coming in, he was saying that TR3 had just played the most incredible version of Ohio he had ever heard. He finished it with "Neil Young is dead to me now after hearing that!" LOL He said it, not me. Obviously Ohio also got an overwhelming response since we are in Athens, (fill-in-the-blank) hehe That song always seems to get a rousing response but tonite the response was over the top. The guyz had a great TIMe due in large part to the amazing audience and we all decided it was an awesome show and a brilliant way to start of this next run of dates. I concurred but you could take the snow part out the equation and I wouldn't complain. LOL

The show was recorded tonite, all that was missed was the first few seconds of How Many More Times while the CDR's were switched. They sound pretty good. TR wore a "tuque" provided by an audience member for one song. Don't remember which song it was but you can listen for TR to ask "is there is either a porcupine or possum in this thing" at the beginning of the song and thats where they gave him the tuque. He wore it for the the whole song. LOL We also had one reoccurring drunk who I had to remove from the dressing room during the show & within minutes from being ousted from the dressing room he had found his way onstage. I was just making my way toward the stage to yet again "remove" him when club staff appeared to handle the gentleman who was obviously feeling as though he was the "5th Beatle" or in our case the 4th TR3er. I kept hoping this was the same guy who was yelling "Stream" & "Betrayal" all nite long but that seemed to come from a different part of the room. Guess there just must have been 2 drunks in attendance tonite. LOL

Thanx to Joe for a wonderful job on sound & for recording. Nathan for taking such wonderful care of us at dinner. Joel, Dave, Laura and the rest of the staff and of course the kicking audience for making another stop at the Blue Gator a memorable evening for us.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson

TRmadeDave
Is Anybody Here?

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2008 :  08:52:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First TR experience for me w/ out dave... Never heard any of his shit before (again, with the exception of his shows with dave). I was not expecting that type of style at all!!! So Kick ass... and for $10!!!!
You should not be able to stand front row watching one of the best living musicians in the world for only $10... Cant wait till the nest one!
Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2008 :  1:32:00 PM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Snow??? What's that?

Thanks for the kick ass review Fluffy. Drive safe and have a killer show in Notre Dame tonight.

god
Kevin
Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2008 :  01:08:25 AM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
After listening to the Double Door show that was just posted online I realized that Victory Express is a new rendition of an older tune that was called Leelines on the Puke Matrix cd. Glad to see it back, I always liked that tune a lot.

god
Kevin
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000