Friends Aboard the Space Pod
 Help! Music Sucks.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dalin
Is Anybody Here?

31 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2005 :  12:51:47 AM  Show Profile  Send Dalin an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I am in desperate need of recommendations for music. I'm having a hard time wading through the loads and loads and loads and loads of crap out there. To give you an idea of what I'm looking for, here's some bands/musicians I've been listening to lately (or recently found out about), but I'm very open at this point:
Muse, Polyphonic Spree, My Morning Jacket, Michael Hedges, Ray LaMontagne, The Flaming Lips, Slipknot, TR, Dredg, & Fionna Apple.

Any recommendations . . . ? A brief description of genre or style would be helpful too.

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2005 :  04:36:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here we go:

Peter Gabriel - First of all, TR covers him, both electrically and acoustically, so that speaks volumes about the man and his work. It's a mix of prog rock/world music/rock/etc depending on the album. He isn't for everyone but check him out.

Chris Whitley - Is like TR but more lyrically based. Does completely different styles of music from solo acoustic to hard rock to acoustic jazz sounding stuff to well layered beautiful rock. A number of us here love this man, and more than ever check out his stuff.

That's all I feel like typing up right now.

Steve Hackett: "I'm my own opening act, you see."
Tim (before "Faceoff"): "Peace, love....and SEX!"
cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

guitarisPIMP
Yak Addict

Niue
587 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2005 :  5:38:04 PM  Show Profile  Send guitarisPIMP an AOL message  Reply with Quote
***Artist - Album***
Martin Taylor - Artistry(yeah i nkow the name is eerie, but he's phenomenal)Solo acoustic jazz, might as well be a fucking flamenco master the way he fingerpicks
Keith Jarrett - The Koln Concert
Keith Jarrett - The Vienna Concert(both consisting entirely of free improv piano)
Erik Satie - (no real albums, but beautiful classical check out gnossiennes 1-6, gymnopedies 1-3, Nocturnes 1-3)
Frank Vignola - Blues for a Gypsy (Solo acoustic jazz, frank's a jazz giant)
Immortal Technique - Revolutionary Vol. 1 & 2 (i hate hip-hop, but this is incredible i love this guy)
Ralph Towner - Diary(very not contemporary jazz and very interesting composition)
Raul Midon - (any live show on archive.org)Picture Ray Charles reincarnated as a guitarist who could play percussion and chord progressions simultaneously, and gained the ability to make trumpet-like sounds with his mouth, and thats what you get.
Shakti - A Handful of Beauty(a fusion of indian music and jazz, will blow your mind)
Mahavishnu Orchestra - My Goals Beyond(Most of the album is John Mclaughlin being GOD at guitar, and then the last two songs are some kickass jams for Peaceee)

Basically, I saw you had michael hedges so I know you'll appreciate solo acoustic guitar(alot of that in there), and most of that music is some real incredibly talented stuff.

my favorite color is go fuck yourself. :D
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2005 :  6:09:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Keith Jarret is awesome, saw him perform once and was blown away.

Anything with Jaco Pastorius.

Soko "TWO" email me your snail mail addy and I will send you a copy.

"It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!"Friedrich Nietzsche
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000