Not good at all...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jay
Alien Abductee

Vatican City
2279 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2005 :  10:03:06 PM  Show Profile  Send Jay an AOL message  Reply with Quote
It's been a long time, folks...sorry to bear the bad news but I think yall should go to Chriswhitley.com and read the news. Hate to say it but it looks grim. All I can say is, screw what your spiritual beliefs are, pray for the man.

So uh, anyway...now that I've set the mood...Aw fuck I'll write about it tomorrow.

"Hey man...you smell..."
"Oh yeah?"
"yeah...like dinner..."

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2005 :  10:40:37 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for calling attention to that Jay, I'd have missed it. Hope Chris comes out on the other side of whatever the problem better for the wear.

Tim Reynolds Downloads
I am not the albatross of love, I am the human ellipsis. I am dot dot dot. - Leo Kottke

I hate beating people over the head with anything. We can all make up our own minds. What we don’t have is enough music. More music please. - Leo Kottke
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2005 :  03:53:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh my god. I hadn't seen that yet, thanks for the heads up Jay. I will keep Chris and his family in my thoughts. I really hope everything will turn out okay for him. He is too rare a talent to lose this early.

Steve Hackett: "I'm my own opening act, you see."
Tim (before "Faceoff"): "Peace, love....and SEX!"
cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

Evergreen
Yak Addict

960 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2005 :  10:52:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is very sad. Hospice care is end of life nursing care. When they are called in it usually means death is approaching. My heart goes out to Chris and his friends and family, especially Fluffy and Robin. This kind of stuff makes life so fucking hard!! I'm just really sorry. I hope they just meant nursing care and not hospice care and that he's going to be OK.
Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2005 :  12:29:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Well said, Evergreen. I hope the word hospice was a mistake too. :(

teri
Twittering about the DC adventure since Dec '09...
(Micro)Blog * Photo Album
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2005 :  3:29:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jay, happy to hear from you again, but not for the reason of your return.

Not really unexpected at least from what Fluffy told me not too long ago. Very sad indeed.

I too send out comforting vibes to those close to Chris, Fluffy, Robin, and all Chris's fans.

What is it about artistic talent and self destruction? They seem to go hand in hand way too many times.

As for Hospice, I too hope they meant nursing care, but that said, hospice is the most wonderful service. My dad had hospice care in his last days and those people were so compassionate and caring. They kept my dad comfortable and relatively pain free in his last days.

"It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!"Friedrich Nietzsche
Go to Top of Page

Evergreen
Yak Addict

960 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2005 :  4:22:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Jay, happy to hear from you again, but not for the reason of your return.

Ditto...I forgot to say that before in my being so bowled over with this news. We miss you Jay. I hope life's been good.

quote:
Not really unexpected at least from what Fluffy told me not too long ago. Very sad indeed.

I guess it wasn't a surprise for you then. It can help a little if you have some time to process. I'm still in shock and very sad.
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2005 :  8:36:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, it wasn't a surprise for me. I wondered how he was doing over the past few months. Not hearing anything I assumed he was doing better, apparently not. Again, very sad. My heart goes out to his family and friends.

I have to agree with Jay, PRAY FOR THE MAN!

"It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!"Friedrich Nietzsche
Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2005 :  10:45:04 PM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Oh man. I had seen the message on his website about a week or so ago because I frequent his message board, but I had no idea about what hospice care implies. I'm not sure how I would handle a loss like that

god
Kevin
Go to Top of Page

Jay
Alien Abductee

Vatican City
2279 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2005 :  09:57:50 AM  Show Profile  Send Jay an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I was hoping he was doing better, too...I've never seen him play live, which is a shame considering he is the only musician I've listened to at least once every day for the past two years. True, it wasn't unexpected that something like this was coming, but it's still very hard to take in.

I was going to play "Days of Obligation" (hidden track on Din)and say a few words for Chris at a show i was supposed to play last night...had my mind on Chris and I just wanted to pay a little tribute, but the car broke down...in the middle of nowhere...once I got back in town, the power was out and the entire town was pitch black...just eerie. 70 degrees out, 45 mile and hour winds in the middle of a November night...I definately felt odd, like I lost something.

"Hey man...you smell..."
"Oh yeah?"
"yeah...like dinner..."
Go to Top of Page

therippa
Fluffy-Esque

Kazakhstan
1099 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2005 :  4:08:13 PM  Show Profile  Send therippa an AOL message  Reply with Quote
That sucks, I hope everything works out. I never had a chance to seem him play and was looking forward to it in the future.

Aspiring to Be Fluffy-Esque an Alien Abductee!
Go to Top of Page

Robin
Yak Addict

USA
598 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2005 :  9:08:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's really nice to come here and see this, it means so much. I'm sorry to have to say this, but Hospice is where we're at right now, and all your kind words have made today a whole lot better for me. I haven't had the energy to post but seeing all these kind thoughts for Chris, his family, and for Fluffy and myself...I'm really touched. This is a really hard TIMe as you can imagine. Arthen, I did get to pass along your message though, and it made him really happy to hear. Right now keeping a semblance of priavcy is what we're focusing on, and the TIM Reynolds crew comes through with class and grace as usual. For that and everything you all have put out in words and thought, I thank you, and I will let Chris's family know. Peace, Robin
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2005 :  10:33:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Robin, There is a wonderful forum in the Grateful Dead web site called Healing Vibes. I am going to post about Chris over there. They also have one called Good Grief, which helps people deal with their losses. There is much to be said for the energy of positive vibes, healing vibes, and prayer.

I don't know what your religious beliefs are, not trying to push mine off on anyone else, but I know that the energy of a person, their spirit, if you will, lives on, just in another form. I also know that sometimes people must be helped to let go of this life. Some people need "permission" from loved ones to let go, assurance that they can leave and those they leave behind will be ok.

The folks at deadnet.com helped me so much when I was dealing with cancer and they gave me great support when I lost my father in Sept.

As I told Kevin, my dad had the most wonderful death. Sounds so weird I know, but he was kept relatively pain free and comfortable in his last days due to hospice care. He died watching the Phillies play baseball, something he loved. This doesn't mean I don't miss him, that I don't still cry when I think of him, the pain of the loss is always there. The difference is that when I think of his last days and how he died, I feel peace not saddness.

I don't know what I find more upsetting, the fact that Chris is close to leaving this world, or the fact that so many on this board are profoundly saddened by it. I find myself wanting to hug so many of you and telling you that it will be alright.

If there is anything I can do for you Robin, or for anyone on this board, please know I am here for you.

"The world should be a better place, because a man has lived." The world is a better place because Chris Whitley lived.

Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2005 :  11:41:27 PM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
This was posted moments ago from Chris' brother:

Thanks to all for the kind words for my brother Chris and my family. For those who are not aware, hospice in home care is in fact for the terminally ill. A while ago Chris was formally diagnosed with terminal lung cancer in its advanced stages. As I type this Chris is resting peacefully and is in little physical pain, at one point today he grabbed my hand firmly as I spoke to him, looked at me and smiled his usual knowing smile but that is all and that was quite enough. I wish I could say more to ease your minds but I cant and im truly sorry, living this and writing this is the hardest thing ive ever had to do in my
life without question.

Love and light,
Daniel

god
Kevin
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2005 :  02:32:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is sad to hear. His family, especially Dan, seem incredibly strong, and I'll continue to send them all good vibes.

cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2005 :  07:12:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for adding that Kevin. Lung cancer is such a horrible beast.

I lit candles and said prayers for Chris and all those who love him last night. It made me feel better, but my real hope it that all the energy and light from everyone who did that, reached Chris and his family.

The worst part of watching someone die, is the helplessness one feels. There aren't a lot of things in life that we must do alone, but dying is one of them. I don't doubt for a minute that what Dan wrote was the hardest thing he has ever had to do. Until it's spoken or written, it all just seems surreal.

Go to Top of Page

Jay
Alien Abductee

Vatican City
2279 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2005 :  10:05:52 AM  Show Profile  Send Jay an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Don't even know what to say...It's weird, but I have trouble listening to Chris now...I put in five of his albums last night, and found myself constantly moving from track to track, I just wanted to take it all in...

"Hey man...you smell..."
"Oh yeah?"
"yeah...like dinner..."
Go to Top of Page

rubylith
Fluffy-Esque

1915 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2005 :  10:36:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit rubylith's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I know what you mean, it feels like he is a sick relative or something. We all care for him so much, he has so many fans, and I think that is so amazing, because the fans love him for his music, period. No gimmicks or flash or tricks, just exactly what we are suppossed to love him for. Much like Tim Reynolds, his music is awe inspiring.

I have only actually have the pleasure of hanging out for Chris a couple times, I doubt he would even remember my name. We went backstage after his show because my brother tattooed his stomach (actually you can slightly see it on one his album "Weed") so we got in with ease. I shook his hand and told him how much I admire him, and how powerful his lyrics are, and how his music has seriously saved my life. I am trying to remember exactly what he said because he is soft spoken, but he signed his cd for me (it said Keep SHreddin'!) and we just hung out for a bit...talking about guitars and stuff. I swear it was like meeting John Lennon or something for some people...it was something I would never forget. The next few shows I was able to speak to him much more and accidentally bumped into his daughter Trixie who we recognized outside...it was cold and rainy and the show wa sover so we all went to this korean resturaunt down the road called Orgins. We had a blast...

I dont know what I am really trying to get to, I just feel weird right now...I guess does anyone else have any stories they'd share?

Everybody knows the alien, I can see how you try to pretend
Go to Top of Page

Jay
Alien Abductee

Vatican City
2279 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2005 :  11:29:13 AM  Show Profile  Send Jay an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I never got to meet the man, or see him play live...But i remember the first time i heard the song "Dirt Floor." I must have played it thirty times straight thru...at the time, I listened to nothing but Dave Matthews, which after hearing Whitley's music really does nothing for me anymore. But I was hooked from the begining. I've listened to the man EVERY day since. Such a simple subject, simple words but so powerfully put forth. I listen to that song whenever death is too close for comfort, or when life digs it's claws in. I'll listen to it....I remember him saying in an interview not too long ago that all he was looking for at that point in his life was peace. Looking at him, it wasn't hard to see that something was tearing into him, deep into him...It really is like losing a life-long, close friend, even though I've never met the man or seen him even, but it's like he's been there for me whenever I needed comfort. It will be a sad day, but in a way I'm glad that he'll find his peace.

"Hey man...you smell..."
"Oh yeah?"
"yeah...like dinner..."
Go to Top of Page

rubylith
Fluffy-Esque

1915 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2005 :  11:34:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit rubylith's Homepage  Reply with Quote
damn dude that is really cool...it is neat to talk to someone who feels the same way. I only recently had the opportunity to meet him...I have listed to him for a couple years because my brother rerally like his music. Ever since then just like you I just get this warming feeling from his music, like a warming. His energy is so raw and his words are so down in the dirt gritty like get you back up on your feet kind of stuff...in these difficult times it really brings us all together. Well...rock on Mr. Chris Whitley, you have many, MANY fans abroad and we will forever cherish your music, peace be with you.
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2005 :  1:37:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm in the same camp with Jay, never got to see or meet the great man. And I totally feel what you guys are saying about his music and his words, once I started getting into him, it wasn't enough. I needed more and more! I remember a few years ago, a few of the people here were talking about this guy named Chris Whitley who I had never heard of. I thought, okay if all these guys are talking about him, along with Fluffy, I have to check him out. I'm so glad I did he's always been in my top five artists ever since. What an amazing wordsmith and artist.
And I loved his voice! That raw sounding vocal energy he had blew me away, I thought "Man, if only I could sing like that!" Anyways, I guess that's my little bit.

"Could be time to power down..."

cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

Rcahillimmortal
Is Anybody Here?

1 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2005 :  10:56:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My friends, we a losing a true visonary artist, I will be so sad for a very long time. Ive seen some amazing Chris Whitly shows all over NYC, Philly, LA. That man can make the house stomp and dance .. I'm going to listen to Dirt Floor right now. And celebrate all the beautiful music that Chris has recorded. Rubylith said it right man.. to meet the man even a couple of times, you knew you were in the presence of somone truely legendary.My condolences to Fluffy
Peace,
RCahill

usa
Go to Top of Page

tylerb
Is Anybody Here?

1 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2005 :  11:30:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I confess to not even knowing who Tim Reynolds is. Due to the posts I've read here, it seems I'd better find out soon. I found this list on google, entering Chris Whitley and cancer. Since hearing about this, each day has been harder and harder to accept what is happening, and looking for more info, or anything at all, about it.
Chris's music has impacted me more profoundly than anyone's I can think of, and I've heard a lot, and have been a musician myself. It's hard to describe, I don't even like music that hints of anything "rootsy". Chris' musical language is ancient and newer than new all at the same time, simple yet incredibly sophisticated all at once.
On stage, he puts everything he has into becoming the music. Nothing short of that will seem to do for him. He speaks directly to the core of you.
I've seen him perform many times, been around him a bit and spoken a few times, but would never claim to know him at all. Yet, he radiates an open kindness and humility that is literally stunning. At the same time, there is hard rock and roll danger lurking in his music as well, the danger of being alive. His is a charisma that refuses celebrity or special status.
This is a huge loss, and I am not even close at all, I'm so sorry for those who are.
I'm as sad as when Lennon was shot.
Thank you for letting me post this here.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000