The Simpsons aren't funny anymore
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kazi
Is Anybody Here?

46 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2005 :  1:57:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any ideas on why they aren't funny anymore, besides the fact that they always bring on celebrities?

love is not who you want to go to bed with, it's who you want to wake up with.

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2005 :  2:07:25 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I know exactly why they aren't funny.

Tim Reynolds Downloads
I am not the albatross of love, I am the human ellipsis. I am dot dot dot. - Leo Kottke

I hate beating people over the head with anything. We can all make up our own minds. What we don’t have is enough music. More music please. - Leo Kottke
Go to Top of Page

Kazi
Is Anybody Here?

46 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2005 :  2:15:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
oh yeah, why is that?

love is not who you want to go to bed with, it's who you want to wake up with.
Go to Top of Page

SurferX
Chatterbox

USA
263 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2005 :  2:41:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit SurferX's Homepage  Send SurferX an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Simple...They are using all the good jokes for the Simpsons movie!

Seriously though...The show has been on the air for more than 15 years...Throw that in with the fact they don't want to be TOO edgy and you've got your modern day Simpsons.

However, the voice acting has never been better. Those guys are amazing!

--Zak
Go to Top of Page

therippa
Fluffy-Esque

Kazakhstan
1099 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2005 :  2:53:38 PM  Show Profile  Send therippa an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I think the simpsons is no longer funny for the following reasons...

1. The new writers try to take the show in a different direction than they did from seasons 3-9. I loved seasons 1-2 when I was a kid (when the focus was on Bart), but now I cringe at them. Around season 3 they realized Homer should be the comedic focus, and did so with great results.

2. The plots of the recent seasons are too topical. Homer getting stoned (although that was funny), gay marriage, adoption...blech. Leave the topical humor to south park, they do it right.

3. Celebrity guests no longer do character voices. Back in the early seasons, whenever they had a special guest it was to do the voice of a Springfield character, not themself. It seems nowadays they build entire episodes around the "special guest", not the other way around. For example, the episodes with Tony Hawk and 50 Cent.

4. Not that this doesn't make it any funnier, but the animation is now done on a computer and I just plained liked it better when it was hand animated...it almost seemed like since so much work had to be put in to it they made sure they had a solid plot to go on.

Worst Post EVER

Aspiring to Be Fluffy-Esque an Alien Abductee!
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2005 :  3:28:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
More Sideshow Bob!

Oh! And another thing comes to mind, the passing of Phil Hartman. That could be another reason for the series being not as funny. He added so much.

Steve Hackett: "I'm my own opening act, you see."
Tim (before "Faceoff"): "Peace, love....and SEX!"
cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

Kenneth
Chatterbox

218 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2005 :  3:35:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The one last week when Homer was working out with the dumbbell was pretty funny. Not sure if it was new or not but it was the first time I had seen it.
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2005 :  4:14:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
They should cancel the Simpsons already....and NOT CANCEL ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT!!!!! That is my favorite show (along with Scrubs). Fox needs to realize that just because The Simpsons was the reason they became a major network does not mean that they need to keep renewing their contract. Stop prolonging shows to the point where ideas are running short and let new shows have a chance.

Gay marriage killed the dinosaurs.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000