Greg Howard is opening shows in JULY
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BurbonSong
Try A Little Harder

USA
61 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2005 :  2:45:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit BurbonSong's Homepage  Send BurbonSong an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Oh man, I'm so mad I can't make any of these. Everytime Greg and Tim get together, GOOD THINGS HAPPEN! Can't wait to hear some of these shows if we can get some tapers out to them. Oh man, GREG HOWARD WOOT WOOT!

"Here's a song called Feeling Doors...I have no clue what it means because my daughter named it...I guess it means she's cooler than I am"

AIM: BurbonSong
haikuwarrior@gmail.com

SurferX
Chatterbox

USA
263 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2005 :  02:13:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit SurferX's Homepage  Send SurferX an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Everytime Greg opens for TIM, I always post the same thing...

People: PLEASE! Tape Greg's set. I'll even pay you!

--Zak
Go to Top of Page

BurbonSong
Try A Little Harder

USA
61 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2005 :  02:27:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit BurbonSong's Homepage  Send BurbonSong an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I was lucky enough to be in DC back in March during his 4 day 20th Aniversary run, and boy was it GREAT! Oh man, played to a small crowd of like 20 of us in a very chill venue. Got to chat with him a bunch, even talked to him about tim. Said he'd talked with him about opening some of the NE shows on the last run, but that fell through. Glad they got this worked out! If someone would buy me another copy of Sticks and Stones and get it signed, I'd pay for you to get a copy as well!

"Here's a song called Feeling Doors...I have no clue what it means because my daughter named it...I guess it means she's cooler than I am"

haikuwarrior@gmail.com
Go to Top of Page

JoeGamo05
Chatterbox

USA
279 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2005 :  11:55:36 AM  Show Profile  Send JoeGamo05 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
whos greg howard?? i havn't heard him, of course not going to any TR shows dosn't help any

When the trees start walking, the ground starts moving, your insane, your insane
Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2005 :  12:04:42 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Chapman Stick Grand Master

Tim Reynolds Downloads
I am not the albatross of love, I am the human ellipsis. I am dot dot dot. - Leo Kottke

I hate beating people over the head with anything. We can all make up our own minds. What we don’t have is enough music. More music please. - Leo Kottke
Go to Top of Page

SurferX
Chatterbox

USA
263 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2005 :  8:30:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit SurferX's Homepage  Send SurferX an AOL message  Reply with Quote
^^ Greg Howard's website.

Greg is the best Chapman Stick player in the world (I'll even say better than Emmett Chapman, the inventor of the Chapman Stick). He's also the most well known Stick player, mainly because of his work with the Dave Matthews Band. I think there is only one better, and that's Don Schiff, but he plays the N/S Stick, so it's not really a Chapman Stick. But, he (Don) has played with Elvis, The Muppets, Sammy Davis Jr, and a buch of other famous people (currently on tour with Lana Lane).

Oh yeah...For those that don't know, I'm a Stick player too...Here's proof!

--Zak
Go to Top of Page

BurbonSong
Try A Little Harder

USA
61 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2005 :  6:28:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit BurbonSong's Homepage  Send BurbonSong an AOL message  Reply with Quote
you know who busted a chaptman stick out when I saw him at the Flying Frog Brigade Jam during Jazz Fest - Les Claypool. I'm pretty sure it was one. I mean I know what they look like, but I was pretty far back, but everyone kept asking WHAT IS THAT HE'S PLAYING and it looked just like a chapman stick, or a variation of it (maybe a N/S stick, I'm not familiar with those). Pretty cool though, he did a good job jamming

haikuwarrior@gmail.com
Go to Top of Page

JoeGamo05
Chatterbox

USA
279 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2005 :  11:07:23 PM  Show Profile  Send JoeGamo05 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
oh sh^t!! thats who plays that? i had downloaded a couple videos of someone playing a stick but never knew who it was! hahaha damn, that guy is amazing!

When the trees start walking, the ground starts moving, your insane, your insane
Go to Top of Page

guitarisPIMP
Yak Addict

Niue
587 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2005 :  11:19:39 PM  Show Profile  Send guitarisPIMP an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I think I would nut myself if someone taped a Greg Howard set and put it out there for my music-hungry ass.

my favorite color is go fuck yourself. :D
Go to Top of Page

BurbonSong
Try A Little Harder

USA
61 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2005 :  12:27:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit BurbonSong's Homepage  Send BurbonSong an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I sure hope someone can get out and tape it. Ughh Greg and Tim are SOOO great together

haikuwarrior@gmail.com
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2005 :  3:02:33 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
For all of those interested, Greg Howard has an email list, and since his tour schedule is even more bizarre than TR's if you are interested in seeing Greg I would highly recommend getting on it so you will be notified of Greg Howard happenings in your area. Here is the latest one he sent out. ENJOY!

Hi everyone,

Lots of shows coming up, including the Montreal Jazz Festival and a mid-west tour opening for Tim Reynolds.

In addition to the usual sources cited, you can now get Ether Ore from progressive music website www.waysidemusic.com. Thanks to Wayside for carying my music, and also Musictoday.com, Stick Enterprises (www.stick.com) and amazon.com.

On to the shows:

SATURDAY, June 25, Richmond, VA
Trio with Drummer Matt Wyatt and Darell Rose on African Percussion.
This is a great Jazz Club in Richmond, so I hope those of you who've
been asking for a show in town make it out. Music begins at 10:0pm
Call 804-249-2338 for ticket info
MONDAY, June 27, Charlottesville VA and the web, WTJU-FM 9:00 pm
My friend Steve Huff has invited me to come onto his show Anything Goes
on Monday Night. You can tune in locally and via the web, where we'll be listening
to some Ether Ore and earlier improv recordings as well as some of my favorite
influences like Terje Rypdal, etc http://wtju.radio.virginia.edu

JULY

TUESDAY, July 5, New York, NY B. B. King's opening for Proto-Kaw
Progressive music fans will not want to miss Kerri Lundgren's (Kansas) band
and a solo opening set from yours truly.

FRIDAY, July 8, Montréal, Canada, The Int'l Jazz Festival
I'm very excited to be returning to the festival this year, and with Matt Wyatt
along for the ride on drums. Thanks to Dan Berman and my good friend Mitch
Polgar for all they've done to keep me coming back to this great city and event.

MONDAY-FRIDAY July 11-15 solo Openers for Tim Reynolds
July 11 Ann Arbor, at The Ark
July 13 Cincinati, at Mad Frog
July 14 Chicago, at Martyr's
July 15 St. Louis, at Finale

Other upcoming shows
July 20, Charlottesville
July 21, Richmond, VA
July 23, Annapolis, MD
July 28, Crozet, VA

For details on all of the June and July shows please see:

http://www.greghoward.com/events/2506
http://www.greghoward.com/events/2507

--

The ETHER ORE +1 improv two-fer offer continues:

For those of you interested in ordering direct from Espresso, via check or PayPal, you can get Ether Ore and one of Code Magenta, Sticks and Stones, or Water on the Moon for only $22+ shipping. Just send me an email where you are ordering from and I'll tell you what the total will be. If you just want Ether Ore, then it's $15 plus shipping. This includes foreign orders, too.

My thanks to all of you who have already picked up the new disc

Info about ETHER ORE at http://www.greghoward.com/sounds/releases/etherore

http://www.greghoward.com/sounds/releases/etherore

MIXING THE LATEST THOMPSON-D'EARTH record

I spent the better part of last week at Charlottesville's Crystalphonic Studios
mixing John D'earth and Dawn Thompson's upcoming CD. Look for a late summer or early
fall release of this as-yet-untitled record. It's an incredbily multi-dimensional
performance by a great band. Their website is http://www.thompsondearth.com/

That's it,
Thanks for reading and for supporting live music and independent musicians.
Greg
www.greghoward.com

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson
Go to Top of Page

SurferX
Chatterbox

USA
263 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2005 :  10:26:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit SurferX's Homepage  Send SurferX an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Ether Ore =

One of Greg's best CDs.

--Zak
Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2005 :  10:39:10 PM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
wow. greg howard and tim reynolds in the same show. i'm going to desperately need those shows. didn't john d'earth arrange the strings for dmb's "halloween" and "the stone" and play trumpet on "halloween"?

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page

SurferX
Chatterbox

USA
263 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2005 :  12:43:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit SurferX's Homepage  Send SurferX an AOL message  Reply with Quote
^ Yes. He's also a GREAT trumpet player. His CD's with Dawn are amazing. I definately recommend picking one up...

--Zak
Go to Top of Page

JemezFoodPeople
Chatterbox

USA
330 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2005 :  2:09:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit JemezFoodPeople's Homepage  Send JemezFoodPeople an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Fluffy tells me that there will be a different opener on July 9 at Athens OH... *wink wink*

"Do you have the patience to wait
till your mud settles and the water is clear?
Can you remain unmoving
till the right action arises by itself?"
-Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

www.mattwinn.com
Go to Top of Page

SurferX
Chatterbox

USA
263 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2005 :  02:15:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit SurferX's Homepage  Send SurferX an AOL message  Reply with Quote
So...Where are my Greg Howard shows?

--Zak
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2005 :  8:35:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I want Greg to open for him here in CA!

Steve Hackett: "I'm my own opening act, you see."
Tim (before "Faceoff"): "Peace, love....and SEX!"
cbenc41@hotmail.com