Musical Backgrounds?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

skyline
Chatterbox

USA
143 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2005 :  11:31:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit skyline's Homepage  Send skyline an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I'm just curious as to what kinds of musical backgrounds most of you come from. Self-taught, professional musician, teacher, etc., etc...

I really started playing in college...I did the classical thing for a while. I was a music major for a year before I switched to math. I'm now a high school math teacher, but I do teach a beginners guitar class, which I love. It keeps me sane...

http://www.dmbforums.com

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2005 :  12:04:28 AM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
i taught myself for a year, took pickstyle lessons for around 7 years, during which time i learned fingerstyle. i'm coming up on my 3rd year of classical guitar.

i was in a band from 200-2002. we did mostly funk and rock. we weren't very good. i was almost a vocalist for a metalcore group, but that never really took. i've been doing solo shows from around 2003 to now. i'm a second year music major.

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2005 :  01:47:08 AM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I started playing guitar about 10 years ago. I took 2 years of bobo lessons when I first started, but I began to progress a lot more when I began teaching myself.

I play 100% by ear, and I guess I get by technically. I've never played with a band. I've never played in public, and have really only performed a song or two for a few close friends once or twice. Other than that, I pretty much just play for the pure joy of it when nobody is around.

Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2005 :  09:41:59 AM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I started playing when I was around 11 or 12. I'm 22 now so I've been playing for 10 or 11 years. I'm totally self taught and I like to continue to learn new things about guitar and new techniques.

Professional musician...I wish.
Go to Top of Page

Jiyra
Chatterbox

124 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2005 :  10:20:54 AM  Show Profile  Send Jiyra an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I wish I was professional! HA! I'm completely self-taught, but I do offer lessons at 15 bucks a pop in beginning theory to advanced practice in everything from classical to punk; I started in August of 2003 actually, and I think I've come a very long way and one of these days I will actually put words to music and start begging for gigs around here and mailing my crap to radio stations, Richmond is usually very open with their musical tastes.

I suppose I should add that I was in band playing trumpet, french horn and various other brass instruments for 7 years before graduated and started playing the guitar a year later.

silly girl, sanity is for boys
Go to Top of Page

Saint Jude
Alien Abductee

USA
2144 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2005 :  10:51:11 AM  Show Profile  Send Saint Jude an AOL message  Reply with Quote
10 years or so. Took lessons for several years before going to college. www.musictech.com where i got an AAS in Guitar Performance. Now playing in two bands. www.themahp.com and www.myspace.com/revolvingdoors

mahps second cd comes out on march 26th.

doors has yet to lift off the ground.

Remember, turn off your tv. Read.
Go to Top of Page

Zachmozach
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1534 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2005 :  11:33:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I started playing classical in like 3rd grade and after six years or so I quit taking lessons and just mostly dicked around for a while and then I got serious again about three years ago, but I'm mostly playing bass now.

Go to Top of Page

Hopeful Rolling Waves
Alien Abductee

South Sandwich Islands
2154 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2005 :  11:45:49 AM  Show Profile  Send Hopeful Rolling Waves an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Started playing 2 1/2 years ago, completely self-taught...I bought a lot of books. No musical background whatsoever.

http://db.etree.org/hopefulrollingwaves/ < My Trading List
Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2005 :  12:27:15 PM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I .... have a guitar....

god
Kevin
Go to Top of Page

Fleabass76
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1026 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2005 :  2:04:16 PM  Show Profile  Send Fleabass76 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I've been playing bass for...jesus..about 9 years now. I went to Musictech as well, which is now called McNally Smith College of Music, and got my AAS. Then I transferred to Augsburg College where I am now in my final semester and am about to get my Bachelors of Music. Then, being the masocist(sp?) I am, I'm taking a year off to practice classical upright more and going to grad school somewhere. I wouldn't call myself a professional musician yet, but I do get payed to play.

Robots are the enemy? Hmm...
Go to Top of Page

Hopeful Rolling Waves
Alien Abductee

South Sandwich Islands
2154 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2005 :  3:20:27 PM  Show Profile  Send Hopeful Rolling Waves an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Masochist.

I am waiting to get into playing classical until I have $2400 to buy the Taylor Nylon I want.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/search/detail/base_pid/514909/src=01340

Go to Top of Page

Jiyra
Chatterbox

124 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2005 :  3:41:07 PM  Show Profile  Send Jiyra an AOL message  Reply with Quote
ew

Go to Top of Page

Hopeful Rolling Waves
Alien Abductee

South Sandwich Islands
2154 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2005 :  3:43:04 PM  Show Profile  Send Hopeful Rolling Waves an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Your ass.

Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2005 :  9:56:43 PM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
i got a decent classical for dirt fucking cheap, through my teacher. he knows a guy in spain that makes guitars. the one i got generally costs $1,100 for like 500 bucks. it sounds great.

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page

Jiyra
Chatterbox

124 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2005 :  10:10:38 PM  Show Profile  Send Jiyra an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I got pretty much the same deal on my classical, except my story was Italy, but then, the only other guitar I have is a blue Johnson I bought off eBay for 50 bucks!

Go to Top of Page

Hopeful Rolling Waves
Alien Abductee

South Sandwich Islands
2154 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2005 :  09:12:21 AM  Show Profile  Send Hopeful Rolling Waves an AOL message  Reply with Quote
AHAHA, blue Johnson. I think Paul Bunyon's ox has one of those as well.

Go to Top of Page

Jiyra
Chatterbox

124 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2005 :  10:14:38 AM  Show Profile  Send Jiyra an AOL message  Reply with Quote
how dare you mock my Big Blue Johnson, it works well for what I use it for!

Go to Top of Page

zakkwyle234
Try A Little Harder

Canada
71 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2005 :  3:38:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I took lessons for a while from an awesome player. after a while, i learned how to play pretty good, so i quit lessons with him since he wouldn't teach me any theory. he just wanted me to get fast and clean. i guess that is an important part of it but i needed to get theory lessons somewhere, so i signed up for piano lessons and got 'em that way. i found understanding the notes on a piano to be much easier than staring at a guitar.

"of all the things i've lost in life, i miss my mind the most"
Go to Top of Page

Muskrat
Chatterbox

USA
266 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2005 :  11:36:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Muskrat's Homepage  Send Muskrat an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I wanted to play the drums when I was 13. Mom never said no, but I could tell she wasn't fond of the idea of me smashing around all day, so she suggested the guitar. FINE I said, out of spite. Long story short, I bought Guitar for Dummies and taught myself on an Epiphone Spanish Classical my Aunt had, fell in love, got some guitars that were more my style, and here we are today! I was fortunate to have a couple of friends who, inspired by my learning guitar, started a couple of months after me and quickly progressed. So I've always had friends at my level of playing ability to jam with. Although the one dude is now amazing. Comes up with insane right hand picking patterns and weirdly awesome chords out of thin air. Hard to believe he's my friend.

"You know, if you live long enough, eventually you're gonna die." -Words of wisdom from my dad
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2005 :  01:00:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I was six years old an angel descended from the heavens and told me that I was to learn how to play guitar and that I would be instructed by only the best. The next day Steven Hackett showed up at my house and gave me a Les Paul made out of gold. He then proceeded to teach me everything he knew about guitar. The next day the ghost of Jimi Hendrix visited me and the same thing happened. Tony Rice came by later and taught me how to flat pick, giving me his own Martin guitar. In between these sessions David Grisman, Bill Monroe, and Sam Bush taught me how to play the mandolin, and Bela Fleck taught me how to play the banjo. Vic Wooten would've showed up, but he was too intimidated by my sheer musical genius and virtuosity.

Unfortunately at the age of fourteen I went into a coma for a month and forgot it all. So I started again on my own when I was sixteen on my dad's beat up Yamaha, and his 1972 Les Paul. I've been doing my own thing ever since.

And what would be worse, blue johnson or blue balls?

Steve Hackett: "I'm my own opening act, you see."
Tim (before "Faceoff"): "Peace, love....and SEX!"
cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

SurferX
Chatterbox

USA
263 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2005 :  12:55:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit SurferX's Homepage  Send SurferX an AOL message  Reply with Quote
1990 - Started piano lessons, but found that it was too boring...Continued to play...
1996 - Started drum lessons
1997 - HS Marching Band Drumline (Free drum lessons!)
1999/2000 - Started playing Tuba/Trombone/Euphonium
2003 - Purchased a Chapman Stick
2004 - Started taking lessons with Don Schiff (Chapman and N/S Stick master)
2005 - Started teaching myself to play the Stick

There's my musical history. Short but sweet.

--Zak
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000