So, anyone hear DMB's new song...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Erich
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1427 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2005 :  3:32:17 PM  Show Profile  Send Erich an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Aborted Baby?

This is tuly the definition of DMB. that is, if DMB were defined by a minimalistic metronome approach to drumming, a looped plucking sound which accounts for all the "violin" in the song, no sax until someone wake roi up at the end of the tune, lackluster lyrics with a shit chorus, and a semi decent baseline.

After hearing what theyre capable of last summer (Sugar Will, Good Time, Joy Ride, HELLO AGAIN, Crazy Easy...), even if you didnt like those tunes as much as I did theres no refuting the fact that they were lightyears ahead of this steamer. And thats so sad. Im praying the album is different, but IDI was a pretty good indication of Eday.

Oh well.

~pw'oikr
~( ">

Hopeful Rolling Waves
Alien Abductee

South Sandwich Islands
2154 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2005 :  3:49:33 PM  Show Profile  Send Hopeful Rolling Waves an AOL message  Reply with Quote
It's yet to be seen I guess. I don't think the whole album will blow ass.

http://db.etree.org/hopefulrollingwaves/ < My Trading List
Go to Top of Page

{=HTG=}
Alien Abductee

USA
2342 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2005 :  3:52:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
'American Baby'

Wow, you really dont like it. Its been growing on me ever since I downloaded an mp3 from amidreaming.org. Its got me excited for the new cd. Hell, DMB hasnt put out anything new since eday.

'HTG, are you a cute girl?'
Go to Top of Page

{=HTG=}
Alien Abductee

USA
2342 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2005 :  3:54:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh yeah, if anyone wants to hear it, head over to aol.com, and find the 'music' link. It should be on the front page, 'DMB, first listen.'

Go to Top of Page

Erich
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1427 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2005 :  4:27:02 PM  Show Profile  Send Erich an AOL message  Reply with Quote
the song couldve been so much better. more sax, actual violin, more carter, etc. Instead, its so stripped down that its uncharictaristic, and its just so dissapointing.

~pw'oikr
~( ">
Go to Top of Page

{=HTG=}
Alien Abductee

USA
2342 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2005 :  4:37:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Different strokes I suppose. But I just burned this onto a CD and it sounds a hundred times better than over this lap-top. I'll agree though, the bands true talents dont really shine up untill the end jam.

Go to Top of Page

Erich
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1427 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2005 :  4:38:12 PM  Show Profile  Send Erich an AOL message  Reply with Quote
they cut out the best part of the song from the album version. I just heard it. I cant say the song is as bad as i first thought now.

~pw'oikr
~( ">
Go to Top of Page

{=HTG=}
Alien Abductee

USA
2342 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2005 :  4:42:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erich

they cut out the best part of the song from the album version. I just heard it. I cant say the song is as bad as i first thought now.

That was my exact reaction. I first though, 'eh.' Then I got to listen to the fuller version, and completely reversed my opinion.

Go to Top of Page

skyline
Chatterbox

USA
143 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2005 :  4:56:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit skyline's Homepage  Send skyline an AOL message  Reply with Quote
It's not bad. As a bid DMB person, I'm just glad to hear something different. I can't wait to hear what Hello Again sounds like...

http://www.dmbforums.com
Go to Top of Page

Jiyra
Chatterbox

124 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2005 :  5:14:52 PM  Show Profile  Send Jiyra an AOL message  Reply with Quote
it's not bad, y'all are right, and I'm definitely looking forward to the new album, although I prefer their live releases; but the newER version on aol it's alot better right there at the end, I just wonder what it sounds like live without the chorus of bari's in the background of the jam.

silly girl, sanity is for boys
Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2005 :  5:21:35 PM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
i thought it was actually called "aborted baby." i've not heard it and i'm already disappointed.

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2005 :  5:24:40 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
The full album version is better. The end is kind of jammed out. That AOL version blows goat.
Go to Top of Page

Jiyra
Chatterbox

124 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2005 :  5:50:30 PM  Show Profile  Send Jiyra an AOL message  Reply with Quote
and let me just add, I really like the cover art, it's simple and cool

silly girl, sanity is for boys
Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2005 :  6:09:35 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
haven't heard it, any suggestions where I might?

Tim Reynolds Downloads
I am not the albatross of love, I am the human ellipsis. I am dot dot dot. - Leo Kottke

I hate beating people over the head with anything. We can all make up our own minds. What we don’t have is enough music. More music please. - Leo Kottke
Go to Top of Page

skyline
Chatterbox

USA
143 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2005 :  6:14:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit skyline's Homepage  Send skyline an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by enthuTIMsiast

haven't heard it, any suggestions where I might?

http://s20.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0797LF6NH477Y1SL7SOM95DND4

Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2005 :  6:28:15 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
ah, thanks man.

Tim Reynolds Downloads
I am not the albatross of love, I am the human ellipsis. I am dot dot dot. - Leo Kottke

I hate beating people over the head with anything. We can all make up our own minds. What we don’t have is enough music. More music please. - Leo Kottke
Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2005 :  6:32:20 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
wait.

is that the MIDI version?

Tim Reynolds Downloads

Go to Top of Page

skyline
Chatterbox

USA
143 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2005 :  6:36:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit skyline's Homepage  Send skyline an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by enthuTIMsiast

wait.

is that the MIDI version?

It's the mp3 album version.

It doesn't have the annoying AOL guy on it, thank goodness...

Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2005 :  9:21:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just listened to it, not impressed. I don't hate it, but don't really care to hear it again either. Dave kept that same "grave digger" voice and it just seems that instead of going forward with their music they are stepping back. Honestly I think DMB reached their pinnacle years ago. I'm not saying that their music now is crap, but I don't see the growth. I am kind of disappointed because from the videos of the making of the new album, their approach this time seemed exciting. Maybe it isn't the song but my expectations that are off the mark, I don't know.

"It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!"Friedrich Nietzsche
Go to Top of Page

skyline
Chatterbox

USA
143 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2005 :  10:05:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit skyline's Homepage  Send skyline an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PJK

Just listened to it, not impressed. I don't hate it, but don't really care to hear it again either. Dave kept that same "grave digger" voice and it just seems that instead of going forward with their music they are stepping back. Honestly I think DMB reached their pinnacle years ago. I'm not saying that their music now is crap, but I don't see the growth. I am kind of disappointed because from the videos of the making of the new album, their approach this time seemed exciting. Maybe it isn't the song but my expectations that are off the mark, I don't know.

BTCS is definitely their peak as of now...

I'm still hopeful for this album, though...i didn't like the song after the first listen either, but it does grow on you, and I love the last minute or so of it...

At least they're going in a somewhat new direction. Anything is better than the kind of stalemate they've been in the past few years.

Go to Top of Page

Muskrat
Chatterbox

USA
266 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2005 :  11:05:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Muskrat's Homepage  Send Muskrat an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I just heard the AOL version and I liked it... glad to hear there's a better, full version though. How is that mp3 version available though? I mean, you can't even get a preview on the band's official site, just a link to the AOL first listen thing. Can't wait to hear the rest of the album. I haven't heard ANY of the new songs yet, although I'll get a few when my Live Trax v.2 comes in the mail aaaaannnnnyyyyy day now.

"You know, if you live long enough, eventually you're gonna die." -Words of wisdom from my dad
Go to Top of Page

Muskrat
Chatterbox

USA
266 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2005 :  11:08:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Muskrat's Homepage  Send Muskrat an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jiyra

and let me just add, I really like the cover art, it's simple and cool

Hehe I agree, and in my favorite colors. It's like the frozen fire dancer or something.

"You know, if you live long enough, eventually you're gonna die." -Words of wisdom from my dad
Go to Top of Page

Jimiforrest
Try A Little Harder

Oman
52 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2005 :  12:01:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jimiforrest's Homepage  Send Jimiforrest an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I'll reserve my opinion for after I hear it live.

To their record label, a DMB studio album is just another way for them to market more shit to a 20-45 year old demographic. Their hit single might get air time on more conservative radio shows that are pretty popular, but most of their air time will be for radio shows that will air Duran Duran in the same rotation.

They also get to retain some of that dance music factor to attract college kids who have been long-time fans of smoking weed at their concerts (a la am.org) but a radio single is not designed to hit the same audience as those who obsess over their live stuff. Because usually those are the most diehard, and obviously the labels don't need to worry about them because everybody is obviously listening.

Theres a country called Oman?
Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2005 :  01:13:50 AM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
It's funny, if you take a step back and look at why we all post here, and then notice how everyone here has conspicuously started to like DMB's material progressively less and less since after the Before These Crowded Streets album.

Regardless of whether you think this song is stellar or not, it just proves that even Dave's worst material is better than 99% of the crap that's currently out there. He's an extraordinarily talented guy, even if he's past his peak.

Go to Top of Page

skyline
Chatterbox

USA
143 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2005 :  08:06:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit skyline's Homepage  Send skyline an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Silky The Pimp

It's funny, if you take a step back and look at why we all post here, and then notice how everyone here has conspicuously started to like DMB's material progressively less and less since after the Before These Crowded Streets album.

Regardless of whether you think this song is stellar or not, it just proves that even Dave's worst material is better than 99% of the crap that's currently out there. He's an extraordinarily talented guy, even if he's past his peak.

And you know...I'm not sure it's Dave that's past his peak. I really liked Some Devil, and the songs they played this summer, which I think were written by him.

The things that have gone wrong, to me, are the things he has collaborated on. For example, Everyday has Glen Ballard written all over it. He was part of the writing process, and it shows.

On this album, the band wrote it collectively. I love the band, but I don't care for their music as individuals...I don't want Stefan writing songs, because I generally can't stand the type of music he listens to. I also didn't enjoy Boyd's solo cd all that much. Apparently, all the songs on this album are going to be credited as written by the entire band. I'd love to see them go back to letting Dave handle all the writing responsibilities...

Then again, I could be way off...I tend to do that sometimes.

Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2005 :  09:33:06 AM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by skyline
And you know...I'm not sure it's Dave that's past his peak. I really liked Some Devil, and the songs they played this summer, which I think were written by him.

The things that have gone wrong, to me, are the things he has collaborated on. For example, Everyday has Glen Ballard written all over it. He was part of the writing process, and it shows.

On this album, the band wrote it collectively. I love the band, but I don't care for their music as individuals...I don't want Stefan writing songs, because I generally can't stand the type of music he listens to. I also didn't enjoy Boyd's solo cd all that much. Apparently, all the songs on this album are going to be credited as written by the entire band. I'd love to see them go back to letting Dave handle all the writing responsibilities...

Then again, I could be way off...I tend to do that sometimes.

I totally agree with this. Back in the day, Dave had already written so many songs. Almost everything that was on Remember Two Things, UTTAD and Crash were songs that he wrote by himself, and then were arranged for the band. I believe BTCS had more of a "going into the studio with nothing" approach, where a lot was done in studio, but I still think a lot of the creativity came from Dave's side. I mean, look at the Stone, Boyd did not write that...

This whole thing reminds me of Creedence Clearwater Revival. John Fogerty used to write, arrange, and play everything on the records they recorded. The band got pissed because they were feeling like nothing more than studio musicians following Fogerty out on the road. John agreed to make the band more a democracy, with each memeber having a hand in songwriting. The first single they released that was written that way was the first single they had that did NOT go to #1.

If you have something that works, fucking stick with that.

I'm all for all members of the band collaborating more, but as you said, a lot of DMB fans do not have the same taste in music as Stefan, and Boyd's solo album was very bad IMHO, except for True Reflections, which is better on any live recording of the DMB.

I still have hope for "Stand Up", which still makes me think of that Ludacris song each time I hear the album title. Every album has it's high points and low points. On BTCS, Stay was my least favorite song, and still is. Perhaps on Stand Up, it will be American Baby. I hold out hope that the studio versions of some of the road tested songs make it on the album and are very good. Then again, they could have had Carter sit the rest of the album out and just use a beat box for all the rhythms....

One thing I am looking forward to is the bonus stuff you get for pre ordering through the Warehouse. A couple of B sides from Stand Up, which I'm hoping are finished studio songs that simply didn't make the album, and 4 live songs from the 2004 summer tour. If the bonus stuff is good, and the album has 50% good material on it, I'll be happy.

I'm also eagerly awaiting live trax vol. 3, should be here any day now.
Go to Top of Page

Muskrat
Chatterbox

USA
266 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2005 :  10:31:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Muskrat's Homepage  Send Muskrat an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Muskrat

I just heard the AOL version and I liked it... glad to hear there's a better, full version though. How is that mp3 version available though? I mean, you can't even get a preview on the band's official site, just a link to the AOL first listen thing.

I repeat my question^

Go to Top of Page

skyline
Chatterbox

USA
143 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2005 :  08:44:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit skyline's Homepage  Send skyline an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I just heard the AOL version and I liked it... glad to hear there's a better, full version though. How is that mp3 version available though? I mean, you can't even get a preview on the band's official site, just a link to the AOL first listen thing.

I repeat my question^

Well, the same way the Lillywhites leaked our or the same way Busted Stuff was available long before it's release.

I know the song is scheduled to get radio air play starting on Friday, so my guess is that a radio station person leaked it out...

Go to Top of Page

{=HTG=}
Alien Abductee

USA
2342 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2005 :  01:59:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
DMB fans : Did anyone who ordered Live Trax III get there copies in yet? I got mine today, and I have to say its easily the best sounding of the three mixes. The entire band sounds great, especially Stefan. That 'rapunzel' is fast becomming one of my new favorites.

Go to Top of Page

skyline
Chatterbox

USA
143 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2005 :  08:05:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit skyline's Homepage  Send skyline an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by {=HTG=}

DMB fans : Did anyone who ordered Live Trax III get there copies in yet? I got mine today, and I have to say its easily the best sounding of the three mixes. The entire band sounds great, especially Stefan. That 'rapunzel' is fast becomming one of my new favorites.

I have yet to order any of the live series. Something about it rubs me the wrong way. I guess since I have a pretty extensive collection of DMB shows already, that it loses some of it's appeal.

Go to Top of Page

Muskrat
Chatterbox

USA
266 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2005 :  10:54:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Muskrat's Homepage  Send Muskrat an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Ordering it soon, when I get my paycheck heh

Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2005 :  02:01:35 AM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Man, I got the new Live Trax, and I think it may be the last live show of theirs that I buy, unless of course it features Tim. I listened to it straight through and found nothing very impressive. I really hope that the next volume of this Live Trax series is a D+T show.

god
Kevin
Go to Top of Page

{=HTG=}
Alien Abductee

USA
2342 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2005 :  02:02:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KevinLesko

Man, I got the new Live Trax, and I think it may be the last live show of theirs that I buy, unless of course it features Tim. I listened to it straight through and found nothing very impressive. I really hope that the next volume of this Live Trax series is a D+T show.

Its my favorite one. That Seek Up, into Rapunzel is amazing.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000