Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Tim Reynolds Message Board
 Show Reviews
 06/23/04 Buffalo, NY The Tralf (a canadian view)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

guitarted
Chatterbox

Canada
487 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2004 :  1:04:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
PROLOGUE:
So I skipped about 4 hours of work to go to this concert. I knew noone would even notice I was gone, so I just went for it. So I was basically being paid while driving to Buffalo from Toronto. In the car with me, was Jamie M. We used a mapquest map to get to Buffalo and got REALLY lost trying to find The Tralf. After finally finding The Tralf, we went and bought a couple of those two dollar cookies from that sweets store below. I know me n Jamie weren't the only ones who got ripped off on those cookies. Until we, reached the doors of The Tralf, I hadn't told Jamie that I wasn't going to let him pay me for the ticket because it was my birthday gift to him.

REVIEW:
This was the first time seeing Tim play for both of us. To say the least we were very excited. We'd been hyping it up all teh way to Buffalo and it paid off. This show was great. It was like Tim was playing the dream set list we had in our heads.
(not in order)
IS ANYBODY HERE
JEMEZ ROLLING WAVES
CHATTERBOX
HOPEFULHERESY
ENTITY
LOOSE INTERPRETATIONS
KUNDALINI BONFIRE
INDOCTRINATE

These are the songs I knew. Thre's still a lot of Tim I haven't heard so I'm not the best one to give yout he full set list.
Also, he pulled out his AFTER THE GOLDRUSH -> OHIO, which I loved. There were some Bob Marley covers but I only recognized BUFFALO SOLDIER. And also he covered COME TOGETHER and ALL YOU NEED IS LOVE by the beatles. It was awesome.

The only songs I still really want to hear him play live are Imaginary Time, Doom and Flouresence. Stream would be cool to see too but as Tim put it:

"FUCK STREAM" when someone from the crowd yelled it out as a request.

Apparently, Tim does NOT like beign called TIMMY, so I resisted yelling that out. I had to settle for "Yeah Tim!", which doesn't roll off the tongue quite the same. When one person yelled TIMMY he replied with "My name is Becky". I laughed and raised my eyebrow at the same time for that one.

Jamie and I stayed after the double encore (SWEEET) to get some autographs and a picture and then we took off into the night back to Canada. I for one, envy CPPJames who stuck around and burned one with the man himself.

The next time Tim is in Buffalo - I'll be there and I'm sure Jamie will be as well.

Thanks Tim,
Your concert was well worth the drive.

Tim, come to Canada!

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2004 :  1:08:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So what was the setlist?

Steve Hackett: "I'm my own opening act, you see."
Tim (before "Faceoff"): "Peace, love....and SEX!"
cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

guitarted
Chatterbox

Canada
487 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2004 :  1:09:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
oops sorry forgot that part : must fix

Tim, come to Canada!
Go to Top of Page

Macht
Chatterbox

USA
272 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2004 :  1:09:22 PM  Show Profile  Send Macht an AOL message  Reply with Quote
That sounds so awesome. I'm glad you had a good time

Authorities here are alert
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2004 :  1:40:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice review as well, guitarted! What an awesome gift to give Jamie M!

Sorry I missed this show, would have loved to have met all the board members that were there and I would have especially loved the "after show party."

Thanks for the review.

Erich missed this one as well, we were going to drive up together but it didn't work out for either of us. Erich is awesome at set lists. I think he knows TIM's music like the back of his hand.

Glad everyone had fun. All for about $18 bucks! Where else can you get that much for your money?

I went to purchase Simon and Garfunkel tickets but they wanted $270 a piece for them! Needless to say I didn't get them.

I am toying with the idea of going to see Eric Clapton. It is so tempting. I just may spring for that one. (not cheap but a third of the cost of S/G).

We should all be thankful to Tim that he puts on fantastic shows, reasonably priced and will hang out with everyone afterwards! Don't think there are too many artists in the world like him. Part of why I have so much respect for him.

(Oh, BTW, the Maple Leafs are my second favorite hockey team! Please tell me you all love hockey? You can't call yourself Canadian if you don't! LOL)

"It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!"Friedrich Nietzsche
Go to Top of Page

CPPJames
Yak Addict

Fyro Macedonia
800 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2004 :  1:58:24 PM  Show Profile  Send CPPJames an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by guitarted

I for one, envy CPPJames who stuck around and burned one with the man himself.

LOL, I can't say I blame you. That was a phenomenal experience. Props to the guy with the foresight for that. Half the fun of the shows is meeting up with Fluffy and Tim before and afterhand (is afterhand a word?). Every show I've ever been to, I've at least spent a couple minutes with them. This time was exceptional.

Sidenote #1: I was talking to Fluffy and Tim about the show they did in Tampa a year or two back where Peter Prince opened for Tim. I mentioned that Peter seemed a little under the influence, which they confirmed. Still played a great set anyway. On to the point...I casually mentioned that when Peter walked into the alley behind the venue, he dropped his guitar from a height of about 4-5 feet. Apparently Peter called Fluffy/Tim the next day and asked if they had his guitar. He had no idea where it was. So now we're thinking it may have broken in the fall and he just chucked it somewhere. He seems to have no recollection of the evenings events at all =). Just an interesting sidenote I guess.

Sidenote #2: The crowd was pretty decent sized compared to a typical Tim show. I think it had to do with the fact that it was part of some "Guitar Festival" week, that a local radio station is running. It seemed that a bunch of people didn't even really know what was going on. Oh well, hopefully some new fans were spawned.

~James

There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.
Go to Top of Page

Lindalu
Try A Little Harder

USA
71 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2004 :  3:14:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow! What a great night!Got off to a late start from Rochester, but it worked out perfectly. Yes,as I had predicted, my son and I got a little lost. But we knew we were in the right area and everyone that we stopped to ask directions from was very helpful.We got a great parking spot not too far from the place and dumped 2$ into the meter. My son kept counting down the time we had left because he was going to run down and put in more money. Typical of my son, about halfway through the show, he smiled and said "oh I just remembered a sign on the meter that said something like '7am-5:30pm'." Oh well, if the money goes towards keeping up that little theatre district, I'm glad to contribute. Anyway, it was good for a few chuckles.I picked out who Fluffy was right away. Anyone know who the other guy was that works the lights?(he had short, sandy brown hair and glasses-mid 20's or so?)Also- are any of you here the guy that was sitting by himself at a small round table that mt son and I sat with? (I offered you a drink when the waitress came around) I hope you stuck around somewhere after getting up after his "first" encore-if not, you missed some great stuff!
Now to the show!How classy- I guess that sums it up. It was so intimate- it reminded me of something out of the late 60's or 70's. I almost expected a guy to come out and read some Haiku to the thumping bongo. You just don't (or not me at least) see shows like that anymore.I tried writing the songlist down but realized it was too distracting and I really wanted to sit there and absorb the music,so I stopped(plus I figured Fluffy would probably grab Tim's setlist and post it at some point anyway-please?). He introduced the first 2 songs as "2 punk songs-one he had written about a year ago and one he'd written that day". I don't know what they were called, but the first one was about a "fascist machine" and the second was about a "patriotic monster"-oh and yes, my son and I also debated whether he was saying "too many fags" or "too many flags". I was wrong. The third, he announced as "Black Hole... something something" (By the time I found my pen, I couldn't remember the end of it-that's my brain-hard at work!)The covers were great- I don't know what the second Marley tune was either.Loved loved loved his version of "All you need is love". My son made the point (and it was purely complimentary) that Tim's voice was very similar to Randy Newman's and that he'd love to hear him do "You've Got a Friend in me"( Toy Story is very near and dear to me and my sons).
Moving on.....I was able to get one picture (I thought it was rude to have the flash during the show, and only had the courage to take one). I also found out on the ride home, which amazingly was much shorter than the ride there (heehee), that my son had recorded 2 minutes of the show on his cell phone. I think it was from the time at the end where TIM was playing so fast his hand was literally a blur.He's been playing it for all of his friends today. If I knew how to post either, I would. Maybe if I e-mailed them to one of you, you could do it? We thought about sticking around afterwards, but it looked like alot of people were planning the same thing, and I don't like being part of a "mob of fans", so we took off. I wish I had known it dwindled down to so few people.
On a final note, TIM-thanks for the great experience for both my self and my son and remember- even if you're tired of one of your old songs and you think it's so yesterday, there will always be a little Stream running through your veins into our hearts!
Go to Top of Page

guitarted
Chatterbox

Canada
487 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2004 :  3:22:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I get home from work, I'll post a couple of pictures I took.
I also captured 40 seconds of kundalini at its most wild on my digital camera. I'll try and post a link
The video is crappy, but you can hear the playing pretty well

Tim, come to Canada!
Go to Top of Page

Mave Datthews 85
Try A Little Harder

USA
80 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2004 :  3:51:40 PM  Show Profile  Send Mave Datthews 85 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CPPJames

[quote]I think it had to do with the fact that it was part of some "Guitar Festival" week, that a local radio station is running.

nope, i'm surprised you don't know about the festival: this is the 4th year of the Buffalo Niagara Guitar Festival. this year it runs from June 19-26 (if i'm not mistaken). all week long it's just a big celebration of the guitar all around B-lo (there's concerts in all the local clubs, including Tim, obviously - since he's not on tour, that's why he came here).

but yea, Tim's show was part of the festival. Tuesday night was the North American Rock Guitar Competition at UB, where you go see 5 finalists perform their original stuff with a house band, then there's 5 judges (one of which was Regi Wooten this year). they each get a guitar, each one a different Gibson (sponsor), plus money and a recording of the night's performance.

i went with my dad, we've been going since '02 (the 2nd year). it's really awesome, people don't know what they're missing. James, you would love it. these guys are just incredible. they're not Tim, but they are equally talented in their own rights - all phenomenal (mind you, these guys - sometimes girls - are the top 5 in the U.S. and Canada... well, who knows how many entered from both countries, but you get the idea).

well anyway, that's the guitar festival. oh, and this saturday is the Great Guitar Gig, a free concert in the WNED parking lot, they have bands play all day. headliners this year are Derek Trucks, Rik Emmett (big in Canadia), Melissa Etheridge and Randy Bachman (The Guess Who and BTO): http://www.guitarfestival.org/greatguitargig.htm

btw, thursday in the square tonight - Buffalonians going? Robert Randolph and the Family Band will be there.
i'm hoping to go, not sure yet...

y helo thar!¡!¡
Go to Top of Page

guitarted
Chatterbox

Canada
487 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2004 :  4:32:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mave Datthews 85

Tuesday night was the North American Rock Guitar Competition at UB, where you go see 5 finalists perform their original stuff with a house band, then there's 5 judges (one of which was Regi Wooten this year).

Any relation to Victor Wooten?

Tim, come to Canada!
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2004 :  5:15:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Regi Wooten is the oldest of the Wooten brothers. It was Regi that taught Victor how to play bass.

Oh and Mave, the guitar festival sounds so awesome I wish I lived in Buffalo, at least for this week.

"It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!"Friedrich Nietzsche
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2004 :  03:59:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Reggie "The Teacher" Wooten. I saw him when Victor Wooten came to my school last year. An outstanding guitarist, and he gave a shout out about playing with Tim and how much fun it was.

Steve Hackett: "I'm my own opening act, you see."
Tim (before "Faceoff"): "Peace, love....and SEX!"
cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

Mave Datthews 85
Try A Little Harder

USA
80 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2004 :  09:12:49 AM  Show Profile  Send Mave Datthews 85 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
yup, that would be Regi "The Teacha" Wooten. now THERE'S a fuckin' MUSICIAN. taught victor how to play bass, and another brother (i forget the name) how to play piano. outstanding.

y helo thar!¡!¡
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2004 :  2:31:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That would be Joseph Wooten

Go to Top of Page

Zachmozach
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1534 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2004 :  4:32:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arthen

Reggie "The Teacher" Wooten. I saw him when Victor Wooten came to my school last year. An outstanding guitarist, and he gave a shout out about playing with Tim and how much fun it was.

Reggie has played with Tim? This I have to see or hear. That would be crazy.

Go to Top of Page

Jamie M
Chatterbox

Canada
404 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2004 :  11:54:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kyle I just wanna add that my trip to Buffalo started at 9am, it was well worth it though. Thanks again for the ticket man!

Yeah Maple Leafs! I'm a born and raised fan, it's practically in my blood. I jumped on the Flames bandwagon this year though, but we all did, so it's all good.
Go to Top of Page

CPPJames
Yak Addict

Fyro Macedonia
800 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2004 :  11:57:27 AM  Show Profile  Send CPPJames an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jamie M

Yeah Maple Leafs! I'm a born and raised fan, it's practically in my blood. I jumped on the Flames bandwagon this year though, but we all did, so it's all good.

Typical canadians! Hehe j/k. Sabres fan here. Although I was definitely rooting for Tampa, seeing as I lived there for a few years.

There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.
Go to Top of Page

guitarted
Chatterbox

Canada
487 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2004 :  12:37:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No matter how little you are into hockey, come playoffs: You're watching.

The leafs are of course the number one choice for me, seeing as a live in Toronto. It's about time they get the cup.

It's been almost 40 years now.

Tim, come to Canada!
Go to Top of Page

Mave Datthews 85
Try A Little Harder

USA
80 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2004 :  1:17:14 PM  Show Profile  Send Mave Datthews 85 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
my dad's canadian - born in toronto - so i kinda grew up liking the Leafs. but of course, they weren't in the Cup, so i rooted for Calgary cuz 2 players (Clark and Conroy) are from my school - Clarkson.

y helo thar!¡!¡
Go to Top of Page

CPPJames
Yak Addict

Fyro Macedonia
800 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2004 :  1:39:58 PM  Show Profile  Send CPPJames an AOL message  Reply with Quote
You go to Clarkson? I almost went there...for hockey and academic purposes only, really. Nice, small school. I ended up going an entirely different route, but still...the possibility remained! Small world.

Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2004 :  10:23:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am going through hockey withdrawal! Being from Philly I am a Flyers fan. (had partial season tickets and went to the playoff games) I was for Calgary in the finals though. I was so upset that they lost!

It looks like the 2004-2005 season may be in jeopardy. NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Go to Top of Page

guitarted
Chatterbox

Canada
487 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2004 :  10:57:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PJK

I am going through hockey withdrawal! Being from Philly I am a Flyers fan. (had partial season tickets and went to the playoff games) I was for Calgary in the finals though. I was so upset that they lost!

It looks like the 2004-2005 season may be in jeopardy. NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Boo the flyers. Sworn enemies to me. That last leafs flyers game was sad for me. The leafs were tyring so hard.. They deserved that OT goal for game 7

Tim, come to Canada!
Go to Top of Page

Mave Datthews 85
Try A Little Harder

USA
80 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2004 :  09:58:54 AM  Show Profile  Send Mave Datthews 85 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CPPJames

You go to Clarkson? I almost went there...for hockey and academic purposes only, really. Nice, small school. I ended up going an entirely different route, but still...the possibility remained! Small world.

yea, i don't play hockey, so obviously i went for "academic reasons" only. (I DID NOT go for the weather, that's for sure) it's nice in the fall and spring - basically anytime it's not fucking winter. you wanna see hell frozen over? come to potsdam in mid-january.

plus the cost of tuition doesn't help much...

y helo thar!¡!¡
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000