-= Hammering The Server =-
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

prsmartin
Yak Addict

USA
547 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2004 :  01:36:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit prsmartin's Homepage  Send prsmartin an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I am about ready to start posting the ip addresses of people who keep hammering the server. If they persist, I will post their ip's so everyone can hammer them back so bad, they can't get any connections and crash. Then maybe their internet service providers will drop them. If you won't let anyone else download, then I will force you out!

You know who you are, so stop!

Consider yourself warned.

(btw, cyber-geek stuff doesn't really sound that tough at all) lol

FTP INFORMATION:
69.171.44.51 - Port 21
User - tim
Password - reynolds
http://www.timreynolds.com/torrents
timreynoldsftp@hotmail.com
Peace...

prsmartin
Yak Addict

USA
547 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2004 :  2:23:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit prsmartin's Homepage  Send prsmartin an AOL message  Reply with Quote
My point seems to be taken well, so I appreciate everyone helping out. As soon as the hammering stopped, there was a spike (increase) in users and download speeds. I know everyone else appreciates this as much as I do since they can get more shows, and faster.

Thanks!

FTP INFORMATION:
69.171.44.51 - Port 21
User - tim
Password - reynolds
Peace...
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2004 :  3:16:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How does one hammer someone else? Life if I wanted to hammer said "hammer-er"?

Steve Hackett: "I'm my own opening act, you see."
Tim (before "Faceoff"): "Peace, love....and SEX!"
cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

prsmartin
Yak Addict

USA
547 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2004 :  5:51:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit prsmartin's Homepage  Send prsmartin an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Funny you should ask Arthen. Let me tell something funny first...

One of these people who was hammering the ftp was a real punk. So, I decided to give him a taste of his own ass medecine. I hammered the hell out of him. I copied his ip address from the ftp server log, and nailed him. He cried like a little baby and sent me an email apologizing and asking me to stop. When I read the email i laughed my "you know what" off. He couldn't take it, and I loved it.

Anyways, I'm not sure if I should be telling you how to hammer a server. Not that I don't trust you, 'cause I do, but others could read it and be rude. But, I will tell you anyways.

When someone tries to login to a server through an ftp client (software) and they can't get in, they get pissed. So they set their client to automatically retry to login infinite or like 1000 times. They also set the retries for every 5 seconds or so. This means that every 5 seconds, the same person is trying to login (forever). They also can be logged in 5 times simultaneously, and they're still hammering away. It never stops. Everyone's download speeds drop and I have to take care of business after that. Its a royal pain.

Its ok to set your clients to retry automatically, but limit them to like 5-10, and if you can't get in, wait a little while, then try again.

Hope that helps, and if you really want to know how to do it more maliciously, I can tell you.

FTP INFORMATION:
69.171.44.51 - Port 21
User - tim
Password - reynolds
Peace...
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2004 :  6:27:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can tell me how to do it better if someone starts to hammer again. I'd love to make them feel the pain.

"Sledgehammer".

Steve Hackett: "I'm my own opening act, you see."
Tim (before "Faceoff"): "Peace, love....and SEX!"
cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

prsmartin
Yak Addict

USA
547 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2004 :  9:12:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit prsmartin's Homepage  Send prsmartin an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Good call on the "Sledgehammer"

I love that show (and song). I watched it when I was a wee lad. Memories...

I'll explain the "better" hammering later on when I have more time. I have a meeting coming up now, so later I will tell you!

FTP INFORMATION:
69.171.44.51 - Port 21
User - tim
Password - reynolds
Peace...
Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2004 :  3:43:06 PM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I hope I'm not doing this either... I just use the settings that Cute FTP came with, I haven't changed anything.

god
Kevin
Go to Top of Page

prsmartin
Yak Addict

USA
547 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2004 :  3:55:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit prsmartin's Homepage  Send prsmartin an AOL message  Reply with Quote
If they're default settings, they are not hammering me. No worries. Plus, I would have sent you some messages, banned you, or hammered you back. Trust me, you'd know if it was you.

Chances are, if someone asks if they are hammering, they aren't. People know when they are. Just my experiences dealing with it.

FTP INFORMATION:
69.171.44.51 - Port 21
User - tim
Password - reynolds
Peace...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: