Transporting a guitar
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

CPPJames
Yak Addict

Fyro Macedonia
800 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2003 :  5:16:27 PM  Show Profile  Send CPPJames an AOL message  Reply with Quote
There's a strong possibility I'll have an extreme desire to transport a guitar via airplane. I know the best bet is to have a solid case but basically I have an acoustic with a flimsy case that could easily be destroyed. Anyone know of any options I might have? I don't know if I could actually bring it on the plane itself or if I'd have to check it. I might be coming back to Florida on a semi-regular basis and I don't think I could live without a guitar for a couple weeks. Any opinions?

Thanks!

There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2003 :  5:25:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have no idea, but I've always wondered about it too. I doubt you could take it with you on the plan, more than likely you'll have to check it. If you have to check it, I'd say leave it.

Steve Hackett: "I'm my own opening act, you see."
Tim (before "Faceoff"): "Peace, love....and SEX!"
cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

Miss Sorrel
Yak Addict

593 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2003 :  10:07:31 PM  Show Profile  Send Miss Sorrel an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Ok, I am thinking in the terms of traveling with surfboards, where you'd take it and wrap it insanely with bubble wrap, and then put it in a special surfboard box that they have at the airports.... So, I think what I would do is take your guitar, and put it in it's "flimsy case" assuming it's a soft kind... and wrap that whole thing PLENTY with some very heavy duty bubble wrap, and box it in a sturdy cardboard box and make it so that there's not much room for movement... and plaster "Fragile" all over that bad boy.
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2003 :  10:46:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
But there is always the fear that the luggage will get caught out in the rain, so make sure it is water proof. Happened to my friend and a bunch of her sketches and drawings were ruined.

Steve Hackett: "I'm my own opening act, you see."
Tim (before "Faceoff"): "Peace, love....and SEX!"
cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

Saint Jude
Alien Abductee

USA
2144 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2003 :  10:50:41 PM  Show Profile  Send Saint Jude an AOL message  Reply with Quote
i was able to bring my acoustic (hard shell case) on the plane and put it in the jacket closet thing in first class. it was on our trip to hawaii. but this was pre-9-11. so i doubt u can still do that.

Remember, turn off your tv. Read.
Go to Top of Page

CPPJames
Yak Addict

Fyro Macedonia
800 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2003 :  09:27:55 AM  Show Profile  Send CPPJames an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Saint Jude

i was able to bring my acoustic (hard shell case) on the plane and put it in the jacket closet thing in first class. it was on our trip to hawaii. but this was pre-9-11. so i doubt u can still do that.

Yeah, I was wondering about that because I've seen people do that before with items that were similar in size/shape as a guitar. I'll give US Airways a call or something later on and see if I can get it all resolved somehow.

There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.
Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2003 :  10:24:40 AM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
No matter what the case you have is, you should de-tune the strings all the way down to nothing (duh) and then wrap the head completely in old t-shirts or newspaper or something. Make it where the case will hardly close it's so tight. Of course you want your guitar to be at ease inside the case, just VERY snug. (What I mean is no pressure points on the neck.)

Tim Reynolds Downloads
I am not the albatross of love, I am the human ellipsis. I am dot dot dot. - Leo Kottke

I hate beating people over the head with anything. We can all make up our own minds. What we don’t have is enough music. More music please. - Leo Kottke
Go to Top of Page

Zack
Try A Little Harder

USA
73 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2003 :  9:47:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Buy a hard case. U might need it for gigs later anyways.

Zack
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000