More speed talk
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Joe
Is Anybody Here?

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2003 :  8:09:43 PM  Show Profile  Send Joe an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Howdy,
Just curious if anybody knows how fast Stream is played. I don't mean..."oh its really really fast"....but bpm's? I think there are a few guys on this board who say they can play it. Just wondering where it was at, and how many clicks you are using.

Thanks
Joe

Poparad
Try A Little Harder

USA
80 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2003 :  9:49:15 PM  Show Profile  Send Poparad an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I think 120-140 bpm is a good rate to hear the tune at. More than 140 would be really burning and less than 120 would sound a little bogged down in my opinion.

Good rule of thumb when learning challening stuff like Stream: start slow (about half tempo) so you can play it flawless slow and work work it up to faster than you'll need to or want to play it at (no more than 10 to 20 bpm over unless you really really want to). There were a few licks I always mangled in Stream after I had the piece fairly compentently learned so I took them down slow and got the kinks worked out and even though I didn't really practice them up to speed again, having practiced the song with continuity and knowing what it felt like to keep it smooth, I found that up to tempo I could play those parts without stuttering because I had practiced them straight through at a slower tempo.
Go to Top of Page

Joe
Is Anybody Here?

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2003 :  11:51:44 PM  Show Profile  Send Joe an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Poparad,
When you say 120- 140 bpm I am assumming you are taking 8th notes. Is this where you began? Or did you start with 1/4 notes and increase through your metronomes capacity (like 208), and then switch to 8th notes at half the tempo? You said this took you 9 months right? Do you have any recordings of you playing it? I would love to hear it.

Thanks
Joe
Go to Top of Page

Poparad
Try A Little Harder

USA
80 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2003 :  01:16:42 AM  Show Profile  Send Poparad an AOL message  Reply with Quote
120-140 bpm in quarter notes is where I think it should be as a final product. Obvoiusly no one will be starting off at that speed

I would start off with something in the neighborhood of 60-80 bpm in quarter notes to get going. If you have a metronome that can subdivide into eighths, or if you just want to set it to 120-140 and use the pulse as eighths, then that's a really great way to start. The, um, 'verse' part (for lack of a better term - the single line part after the intro) is a little syncopated so the eighth note division will probably be very good to get used to the line.

I do have a recording of it... well, some friends of mine do, and a video too. I played it at the cabaret (musical talent show) my senior year of high school as well as the last band concert of the year. The video is from the first performance and my roommate was a sound engineer for both and has both on cd somewhere.

The song did take me about 9 months to learn, but I also started working on it after only playing guitar for a little over a year. I've been at the instrument about 4 1/2 years now and I've polished up some of the song and I'm comfortable enough now to improvise the bridges... that reminds me, there is a third recording I have on electric guitar from an open mic night at a local coffee house I did this past december... I do believe my roommate has that on cd too. I'll see what he can dig up.
Go to Top of Page

Poparad
Try A Little Harder

USA
80 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2003 :  02:39:03 AM  Show Profile  Send Poparad an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I just made a recording with my electric, recorded acoustically (it's a hollowbody). Not the best recording but it works. Exscuse the obnoxious Tripod ads, I couldn't find anywhere else to host it. Any suggestions for good places to host files?

http://members.tripod.com/~jeremeyp/stream.html
Go to Top of Page

rubylith
Fluffy-Esque

1915 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2003 :  3:36:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit rubylith's Homepage  Reply with Quote
HEY!

yes you can get great hosting for $5/month at http://www.lucidpc.com. They host my files. And godaddy.com for domain registration, its like $7 a domain a year. check out my site!
http://www.davecahill.com
Go to Top of Page

Joe
Is Anybody Here?

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2003 :  6:12:43 PM  Show Profile  Send Joe an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Valiant effort Poparad. I'll post mine up sooner or later too. How come you left out the "cocaine furry" part?

Anyways, back to work...

Joe
Go to Top of Page

Poparad
Try A Little Harder

USA
80 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2003 :  8:23:52 PM  Show Profile  Send Poparad an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Lol... "cocaine furry"... I used to know the bridge Tim played on the Live at Luther college cd. I'm still waiting to hear back from my friend about those older recordings.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000