Ping Pong Fingernails
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dickey500
Chatterbox

USA
144 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2003 :  10:56:59 PM  Show Profile  Send Dickey500 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
OK, I was visiting Charlottesville last night and managed to catch a two-man bluegrass/blues act called the Banty Roosters. Anywho...the guitar player had cut up ping pong balls and crazy-glued them to his fingernails to use as picks...it was friggin crazy! Anyone ever heard of this technique (or anything similar)?

"All of us contain Music & Truth, but most of us can't get it out." - Mark Twain

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2003 :  11:12:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
A fingerpicker named John Renbourn uses ping pong balls also.

"He grows his normal nails out substantially, but doesn't pick with them. He glues contoured pieces of ping-pong balls to the underside of the natural nails. This gives him consistent tone from one finger to the next, and the nails' support behind the ping-pong balls as he picks. John is also very careful with his hands in everyday life; something all fingerpickers should be aware of. "

ref http://www.accentonmusic.com/article_1.html

teri
Twittering about the DC adventure since Dec '09...
(Micro)Blog * Photo Album
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2003 :  2:40:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I still can't quite picture this. Like claws?????? Strange.

And I thought seeing Tony Levins funk fingers were strange.

"It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!"Friedrich Nietzsche
Go to Top of Page

Dickey500
Chatterbox

USA
144 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2003 :  11:45:16 PM  Show Profile  Send Dickey500 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Kinda - just picture long, white, clear nail polish-covered fingernails. I can't imagine walking around with them all day though...

"All of us contain Music & Truth, but most of us can't get it out." - Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000