Which one!??!?!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

34AntsMarchinonGreyStreet
Is Anybody Here?

USA
37 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2002 :  03:02:31 AM  Show Profile  Send 34AntsMarchinonGreyStreet an AOL message  Reply with Quote
If i got the Line 6 Delay Modeler would i have any need for the dd-5 or dd-6?

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2002 :  10:01:45 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
From what I have heard, the DD-6's sound quality is somewhat worse than the DD-5. I honestly find this hard to belive, and I tend to think that it mostly has to do with "operator error" but none the less, you can't go wrong with the DD-5 IMHO. If you think you'll use the Tap Tempo feature (tapping your foot to the beat of a song to match the delay time to that beat) then the DD-6 is up your alley, because it has an onboard Tap Tempo feature, where with the DD-5 you need to buy the additional footswitch for about 15 bucks. Then again, you've already got onboard Tap Tempo with the DL4.

The "warp" feature of the DD-6, so I have heard, is really not worth the extra cash though, and isn't that spectacular.

Tim uses both the DD5 and the DL4 together. Making a loop with the DL4, then doing standard delay stuff with the DD5. It makes for some cool sounds.

If you are considering either the DD-5 or DD-6, I'd say go find both in a music store and try them out. The DD-6 may be hard to come by right now, but they should be more widely available any time now. And I would think that some music stores would want to get them in just for the "novelty" or "newness" factor.

But if you want an answer to the question "which one?" I still say the DD-5 is a sure bet.

Adam
Go to Top of Page

Jamie M
Chatterbox

Canada
404 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2002 :  10:18:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 34AntsMarchinonGreyStreet

If i got the Line 6 Delay Modeler would i have any need for the dd-5 or dd-6?

I think the answer to this question is basically no, if you are only going to buy one pedal. From what I've heard the only feature on either of the Boss pedals that isn't on the dl-4 is that warp thing on the DD-6, which apparently isn't worth it(?).
Go to Top of Page

Is Anybody Here?

USA
37 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2002 :  9:58:00 PM  Show Profile  Send 34AntsMarchinonGreyStreet an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I orded the DL 4 but then i realized, if im doing a loop, i wont be able to do basic delay stuff will I....that kinda sucks because i say tim play entity an di realize i wont be able to do taht now.
Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2002 :  10:09:04 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I thought you were asking whether you should get the DD-5 or the DD-6, in addition to the DL4. I didn't know you were asking if you should get the DL4 OR a DD-5/DD-6.

I still say get the DL4 AND a DD-5.

Adam
Go to Top of Page

Jamie M
Chatterbox

Canada
404 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2002 :  10:46:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 34AntsMarchinonGreyStreet

I orded the DL 4 but then i realized, if im doing a loop, i wont be able to do basic delay stuff will I....that kinda sucks because i say tim play entity an di realize i wont be able to do taht now.

I've never played one of these, so I can't say for sure, but I'm pretty sure you can set a loop, and then change the delay setting and play other stuff. The only thing you won't be able to do is loop the effects, without a second pedal.
Besides, isn't it the volume pedal that Tim uses to get his sound on Entity?
Go to Top of Page

Is Anybody Here?

USA
37 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2002 :  01:07:59 AM  Show Profile  Send 34AntsMarchinonGreyStreet an AOL message  Reply with Quote
anybody know?
Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2002 :  12:14:03 PM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
when did they make the dd-6. i'm so out of the loop.

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2002 :  1:51:41 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
On Entity, I belive that Tim uses the DL4 to do a loop, and has the DD-5 right before the DL4 in the chain, so the DL4, and it's loop are last. Then he uses the DD-5 for delay on what he is playing OVER the loop that is repeating on the DL4. I think that he does this in a few of his songs, and in stuff that he improvises on stage as well.

He uses the volume pedal for volume swells in Entity, like many other songs.

A word of warning about DL4s, they have been known to quit working in various ways. A few I've read about just died, others stopped letting the guitar signal through the pedal, but the lights and everything else on the pedal still worked.

On the upside, their customer service seems to get raving reviews, even if in the end they aren't very helpful, it sounds like they try to be.

Adam
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000