Scales
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Carpediem
Is Anybody Here?

9 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2002 :  6:10:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Whats a good way to learn the scales of the guitar?

Once again...the game has reached a new low.

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2002 :  11:21:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Practice.....hehe......but seriously, there are a lot of ways. Most people just memorize them. But I learned them quite differently. I'm almost finished with a Fundamentals of Music class. The kewl thing about it is that I can now figure out scales without anyone teaching me how. But I'm sure you don't want to wait 4 months to learn scales. I'm sure someone here like Saint Jude, dirtysloth, or GuitarGuy would be able to help you out more specifically. Good luck.

Gay marriage killed the dinosaurs.
Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2002 :  2:03:00 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I would recommend going to your local book store (Barnes and Noble is a good place) and just browsing the music section. And also your local music store.

There are many books available on scales and modes that I have seen. Much like shopping for a guitar, I say go to the store and flip through these books, to see which one(s) fit your skill level and teach you the most.

A few titles though to get you started:

A friend of mine swears by the Hal Leonard Fretboard Roadmap series of books.

Also, the Alfred Teach Yourself Guitar Theory book; Mel Bay's Complete Book of Guitar Chords, Scales and Arpeggios; and Hal Leonard Scales and Modes in the Beginning.

Also, an honorable mention, to increase speed and dexterity, check out Hal Leonard Flying Fingers. It includes techniques to help increase speed, precision, and dexterity. And it also includes a CD with every example from the book played at three speeds.

Other than checking out books, I'd say if you can, get together with a rhythm guitarist and just jam, or try to find some music to practice to. There are CDs out there with "backup bands" on them, meant for you so solo over and improve your playing. But the books will help you at least know scales and hopefully why certain scales and chords go with certain songs.

Hope this is enough to get you started.

Adam
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000