Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

daveblack21
Is Anybody Here?

5 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2002 :  01:21:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
what is the best kind
where can i find them
and how much do they usualy run
im good enough to start concerts and i want to try the tim style by my self with alot of pedals

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2002 :  02:51:07 AM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
It really depends on what kind of stuff you want to be doing. If you're fine with 2 second loops, and simpler basic delay effects, go with somethign like a Boss DD-5 or DD-6, if you want all that and a longer loop time and more options on delay effects, go with a Line 6 DL4 Delay Modeler. If you will be into heavy looping, go wiht a Boss RC-20 Loop Station or Boomerang Loop.

If you tell more what you're looking to do, I can be more specific as far as pedals, and what they do. Also, by "a lot of pedals" what do you mean? Just delay type stuff or also Volume, wah, ring mods, etc..?

Adam
Go to Top of Page

Kundalini On Fire
Is Anybody Here?

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2002 :  4:09:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kundalini On Fire's Homepage  Send Kundalini On Fire an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I'm also looking getting into looping and effects, but more so the looping and layering of sounds acoustically. Any suggestions on hardware GuitarGuy? Right now I'm leaning toward the Line6, would that be sufficient?

"This is a pretty song."

- Tim Reynolds 11-24-02
Go to Top of Page

DaRavyn
Chatterbox

USA
160 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2002 :  8:02:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit DaRavyn's Homepage  Send DaRavyn an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Guitar, have you seen the DD-6 yet? Cause i havent seenit anywhere yet. ANd what is the warp mode?

Rob
Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2002 :  10:20:18 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kundalini On Fire
I'm also looking getting into looping and effects, but more so the looping and layering of sounds acoustically. Any suggestions on hardware GuitarGuy? Right now I'm leaning toward the Line6, would that be sufficient?

It really depends on the duration/length of the loops you want to create. As far as layering loops goes, two pedals come to mind. One is the Boss RC-20 Loop Station. The Loop Station has over 5 minutes of loop time, and you can save up to 10 loops on it, which can be recalled and layered. I have heard mixed reviews about this pedal, most people think there should be a volume control for the loop, so that you can turn it down slightly if you want to solo over it, the only other option being turning your guitar up, which may or may not be a good idea or even possible (if you're on 10....and unless you're Nigel Tufnel, there is no where to go from 10).

The other option is the Boomerang Loop. I've heard great things about this pedal. Again, this one has 4 minutes of loop time, and loops can be layered. There is also a volume control for the loops. And unlike the Boss pedal, most of the features on the Boomerang can be utilized without bending over and fiddling with knobs.

One guy actually had demoed the Boss Loop Station, and also owned a Boomerang, and said that the two pedals are similar, but the Boomerang is much easier to use.

Both pedals are pretty pricey, the Boss RC-20 Loop Station sells for 279.99 at Musiciansfriend.com, and the Boomerang Loop sells for 449.99 at the same website.

For user reviews on the two pedals, go here:

Boomerang:
http://www.harmony-central.com/Effects/Data/Boomerang/Phrase_Sampler-01.html

Boss RC-20 Loop Station:
http://www.harmony-central.com/Effects/Data/Boss/RC_20_Loop_Station-01.html

And for their listings on Musiciansfriend.com:

Boss Loop Station:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=021126190624209252186015091713/search/g=home?q=Boss+RC-20+Loop+Station

Boomerang Loop:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=021126190624209252186015091713/search/g=guitar/detail/base_id/40437

I hope this helps you.

quote:
Originally posted by DaRavyn
Guitar, have you seen the DD-6 yet? Cause i havent seenit anywhere yet. ANd what is the warp mode?

I have not played with one, but reading the reviews on harmony-central.com, people seem to think the sound quality is worse than the DD-5. The warp feature is said to be some kind of "self-oscillating" kind of effect...not really sure what that means, but if I stumble accross a site with a better explanation, I'll post it here. From what I've heard though, stick with the DD-5. The only plus I can see is the onboard Tap Tempo, if you use that often, you don't have to buy another footswitch like with the DD-5.

Adam
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2002 :  12:02:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GuitarGuy305

if you're on 10....and unless you're Nigel Tufnel, there is no where to go from 10).

Spinal Tap Rocks!

quote:

Both pedals are pretty pricey, the Boss RC-20 Loop Station sells for 279.99 at Musiciansfriend.com, and the Boomerang Loop sells for 449.99 at the same website.

Damn. I really want the Boomerang, but it looks like I'll have to settle for the Boss. Thanks for the info, Adam.

Gay marriage killed the dinosaurs.
Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2002 :  9:55:55 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Glad I could help.

I'd still suggest trying them both out (if you can) at music stores. You may not be lucky enough to have music stores that carry both items near you. And the price difference is a big factor as well, with the Boomerang costing about twice as much as the RC-20, but it sounds like you get what you pay for. Though i really don't think you can go wrong with Boss-anything.

Do let me know what you think of whichever pedal you get though, because I've been thinking of getting one of these myself.

Adam
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2002 :  11:23:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I'd have to say that I'm 99% sure that I'm gonna get the Boss-RC 20. I'd get the Boomerang, but I need some money for books next semester. Maybe when I become a millionare, I'll buy the Boomerang.

Gay marriage killed the dinosaurs.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000