Try A Little Harder

77 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2002 :  06:28:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Day lights saving. When?

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2002 :  06:33:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Two A.M......so five and a half hours ago (since we went through one hour twice).....if you're on the east coast.

Gay marriage killed the dinosaurs.
Go to Top of Page

joemoe
Try A Little Harder

77 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2002 :  06:42:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank ya.
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2002 :  06:51:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
No problemo.

Go to Top of Page

{=HTG=}
Alien Abductee

USA
2342 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2002 :  08:11:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gosh, it's so bright outside. And it's only 8, awesome.

'HTG, are you a cute girl?'
Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2002 :  09:43:58 AM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I think changing our clock just makes us look stupid ...

Flood control: 6
Jason: 0

Tim Reynolds Downloads
I am not the albatross of love, I am the human ellipsis. I am dot dot dot. - Leo Kottke

I hate beating people over the head with anything. We can all make up our own minds. What we don’t have is enough music. More music please. - Leo Kottke
Go to Top of Page

joemoe
Try A Little Harder

77 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2002 :  10:06:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How so?
Go to Top of Page

Captain Petersburgh
Yak Addict

Canada
779 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2002 :  2:58:25 PM  Show Profile  Send Captain Petersburgh an AOL message  Reply with Quote
i think it's stupid...i herd the they did it because it would save energy by not running the lights earlie...then i thought well we'll have to run them later. DOH!!!!

A nice word and a gun will get you alot farther than just a nice word
Go to Top of Page

Jay
Alien Abductee

Vatican City
2279 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2002 :  3:12:45 PM  Show Profile  Send Jay an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Earlie? Oh, adn "A LOT" is two words. Soemone buy him a fuckin dictionary.

"Hey man...you smell..."
"Oh yeah?"
"yeah...like dinner..."
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2002 :  3:28:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Wny not you? You're closest.

Oh and Jason, my friend from Arizona feels the same way too. Since they don't do it in that state for some reason, he feels that he doesn't have to either. So in the end, he's the idiot because his clocks are set an hour ahead, whereas everyone in the surrounding area of 3000 miles (excluding Arizona) has theirs set to the correct TIMe.

Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2002 :  3:29:05 PM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
from cnn.com

As the saying goes, spring forward, fall back. Forget, and you will be an hour early for church, work or whatever.

The idea for daylight saving time reportedly was first suggested by Benjamin Franklin, but the idea wasn't instituted until World War I to save energy used for lights.

It's not universally popular, though. Farmers note that their livestock don't live by a clock, and complain that they have to adjust their working hours to deal with the animals.

As a result, the use of daylight saving (not "savings") time was made a local option after World War II. Changing time proved more popular in some areas than others.

But the result was confusion, because time changed from state to state and even city to city.

Broadcasters, railroads, airlines and others complained and the government established the Uniform Time Act of 1966 to institutionalize the time changes.

Additional federal legislation in 1986 set daylight-saving time to begin at 2 a.m. on the first Sunday of April and end at 2 a.m. on the last Sunday of October.

States and localities can still opt out, however, and some have. Arizona, Hawaii, the part of Indiana in the Eastern time zone, Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands and American Samoa remain on standard time year-round.

Daylight saving time returns April 2.

god
Kevin
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2002 :  3:30:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Well......there you go......and my other friend from Hawaii has complained, but he goes along with it.

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2002 :  03:56:43 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Why did daylight saving time (DST) start, and why does it still continue? When asking a random sample of people we heard two answers again and again: "To help the farmers" or "Because of World War I ... or was it World War II?"

In fact, farmers generally oppose daylight saving time. In Indiana, where part of the state observes DST and part does not, farmers have opposed a move to DST. And the chief adversary of daylight saving time in the United States is the Farm Bureau. Farmers, who must wake with the sun no matter what time their clock says, are greatly inconvenienced by having to change their schedule in order to sell their crops to people who observe daylight saving time.

Daylight saving time did indeed begin in the United States during World War I, primarily to save fuel by reducing the need to use artificial lighting. Although some states and communities observed daylight saving time between the wars, it was not observed nationally again until World War II. Of course, World War II is long over. So why do we still observe daylight saving time?

The Uniform Time Act of 1966 provided the basic framework for alternating between daylight saving time and standard time, which we now observe in the United States. But Congress can't seem to resist tinkering with it. For example, in 1973 daylight saving time was observed all year, instead of just the spring and summer. The current system of beginning DST at 2 AM on the first Sunday in April and ending it at 2 AM on the last Sunday in October was not standardized until 1986.

The earliest known reference to the idea of daylight saving time comes from a purely whimsical 1784 essay by Benjamin Franklin, called "Turkey versus Eagle, McCauley is my Beagle." It was first seriously advocated by William Willit, a British Builder, in his pamphlet "Waste of Daylight" in 1907.
Over the years, supporters have advanced new reasons in support of DST, even though they were not the original reasons behind enacting DST.

One is safety. Some people believe that if we have more daylight at the end of the day, we will have fewer accidents.

In fact, this "benefit" comes only at the cost of less daylight in the morning. When year-round daylight time was tried in 1973, one reason it was repealed was because of an increased number of school bus accidents in the morning. Further, a study of traffic accidents throughout Canada in 1991 and 1992 by Stanley Coren of the University of British Columbia before, during, and immediately after the so-called "spring forward" when DST begins in April. Alarmingly, he found an eight percent jump in traffic accidents on the Monday after clocks are moved ahead. He attributes the jump to the lost hour of sleep. In a letter to the New England Journal of Medicine, Coren explained, "These data show that small changes in the amount of sleep that people get can have major consequences in everyday activities." He undertook the study as a follow up to research showing that even an hour's change can disrupt sleep patterns and "persist for up to five days after each time shift." Other observers attribute the huge spike in accidents on the first Monday of DST to the sudden change in the amount of light during driving times. Regardless of the reason, there is no denying that changing our clocks has a significant cost in human lives.

While some people claim that they would miss the late evening light, a presumably similar number of people love the morning light. And projects, postponed during the sun filled summer, will be tackled with new vigor when the sun sets an hour earlier each day.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000