Elvis
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2002 :  3:56:45 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hey, anyone out there like him? I saw the '68 Comeback Special a few years ago that was originally on NBC and have been into him ever since. I really only like the earlier Elvis though, the thin Elvis, before the whole Viva Las Vegas and gettin' fat thing. I also don't really like his movies...should have stuck to music in my opinion. That '68 special is great, because it's him and like 4 other guys just sitting in a circle playing songs, it's really cool.

Anyone know any good guitar TAB sites for Elvis stuff?

Adam

Everybody's talkin' at me, I can't hear a word they're sayin'...Just driving 'round in Jon Voight's car...

Email: Guitar_Boy1@yahoo.com

AIM: GuitarGuy305

Jay
Alien Abductee

Vatican City
2279 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2002 :  4:23:07 PM  Show Profile  Send Jay an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Elvis is the man! I agree that the '68 spcial rocks, how about that King of The Mountain song?

" I'm the king of teh muntain and they call me the wild cat man..." Damn, very cool.

Jay
" It's a scavenger hunt in the best of times, a one armed man with a box of dimes. Throw the stick and let the bulldog roll." KJP
Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2002 :  4:35:22 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, that song is great, I think it's called Tiger Man. "I'm the kind of the jungle they call me the tiger man"

There's an album called Tiger Man that actually has songs from that TV Special on it. I love his version of Jimmy Reed's "Baby What You Want Me To Do" Elvis must like it too, because he plays it like 3 times during that show.

Adam

Everybody's talkin' at me, I can't hear a word they're sayin'...Just driving 'round in Jon Voight's car...

Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2002 :  7:29:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i got a a good elvis story. over the summer this was this dumb bitch of a lday i had to work with that would whine about everything. one day she came into work and swore to everybody that fox 5 news had a report the night before on how elvis was alive and faked his death and would do a television interview soon. she told everyone we'd be reading about it in the headlines the next day. boy was it funny when she was wrong!! the next day she didn't say a word to anyone. on a side note my nickname at work was elvis(i had long sideburns at the time)

"Set the gear shift to the high gear of your soul, you gotta run like an antelope, out of control" -Dude of Life
Go to Top of Page

Xar666
Yak Addict

USA
546 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2002 :  10:37:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fuck Elvis.

-Xar666

I never really hated a one true god, but the god of the people I hated.
Go to Top of Page

NeverKillADream
Yak Addict

USA
652 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2002 :  10:46:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit NeverKillADream's Homepage  Send NeverKillADream an AOL message  Reply with Quote
How about show a little respect for the people who do, I personally do not like elvis, but he is a musician, i respect that, i dont think that was quite appropriate. I mean if you didnt like elvis, why respond, just do convey the pure poetic thought "fuck elvis?" .......damn, wish i were that smooth

Using The Force Daily...
NeverKillADream@aol.com
Go to Top of Page

Saint Jude
Alien Abductee

USA
2144 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2002 :  11:01:36 PM  Show Profile  Send Saint Jude an AOL message  Reply with Quote
i think Xar actually wants to fuck Elvis... not insult him. cuz Elvis is dead and ... well u konw Xar.... actually im not sure if u have meet him (virtually not personally). cant remember.

- Without you, without you everything falls apart
Without you, it's not as much fun to pick up the pieces.
Go to Top of Page

Saint Jude
Alien Abductee

USA
2144 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2002 :  11:02:16 PM  Show Profile  Send Saint Jude an AOL message  Reply with Quote
o yeah, and i dont really like elvis.

Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2002 :  11:10:49 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hey, i was just thinking of the days on this board when you could give an opinion, or talk about something you liked...and even if someone didn't feel the same way you did, they didn't make rude comments or bad mouth things others were into...

TIMes they are a-changin'

Adam

Go to Top of Page

NeverKillADream
Yak Addict

USA
652 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2002 :  11:46:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit NeverKillADream's Homepage  Send NeverKillADream an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I mean if you want to bash elvis, at least state some reason, For instance, Elvis never wrote any of his own songs, i dont like that at all. Lol

Using The Force Daily...
NeverKillADream@aol.com
Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2002 :  12:04:40 AM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
True, but he did co-write a few, as many country artists do today still. A lot of country artists today still don't write their own music. But Presley co wrote, Heartbreak Hotel, All Shook Up, Don't Be Cruel, and Love Me Tender. Then again out of all the songs he did...that's not too many.

Adam

Go to Top of Page

Saint Jude
Alien Abductee

USA
2144 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2002 :  12:07:27 AM  Show Profile  Send Saint Jude an AOL message  Reply with Quote
so hes the britney spears of his generation.

or is britney spears the elvis of ours...... either way its creepy.

Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2002 :  12:19:25 AM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Funny...it seems some people here feel the same way about Elvis as I do about Dave Matthews and the Dave Matthews Band......lol

Elvis co-wrote some stuff, and at least he didn't do it with Glen Ballard.

Adam

Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2002 :  12:21:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He is so not!

Britney spears sucks, I have great respect for Elvis. He's a decent guitarist, in his own right.

"Don't drink the pickle juice from the pickle jar, until all the pickles are gone."
-Son of a Boss
Arthenc@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

Xar666
Yak Addict

USA
546 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2002 :  12:28:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

How about show a little respect for the people who do, I personally do not like elvis, but he is a musician, i respect that, i dont think that was quite appropriate. I mean if you didnt like elvis, why respond, just do convey the pure poetic thought "fuck elvis?" .......damn, wish i were that smooth

It's called free speech.

I will acknowledge what he contributed to the industry, but I do not like his music. And as a person, well, you should watch "The Last Days of Elvis". That should destroy any respect you have for him. I think he was pathetic. He hated that he had to grow old. He seemed very vain to me.

I also think his empire is the epitome of American greed.

-Xar666

Go to Top of Page

Xar666
Yak Addict

USA
546 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2002 :  12:31:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hey, i was just thinking of the days on this board when you could give an opinion, or talk about something you liked...and even if someone didn't feel the same way you did, they didn't make rude comments or bad mouth things others were into...

You are new. We have had some big flame wars here in the past.

-Xar666

Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2002 :  12:33:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I can definitely see a similarity between Britney and Elvis. They are both sex idols, the parents of kids who like them find their moves offensive..........and they both made crappy movies.

"I didn't think it was physically possible, but this both sucks and blows."
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2002 :  12:36:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
So Xar........do you just float around here and only post when there something dead to fuck? You should post more often........stir it up a bit.

Go to Top of Page

Xar666
Yak Addict

USA
546 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2002 :  12:41:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

So Xar........do you just float around here and only post when there something dead to fuck? You should post more often........stir it up a bit.

I have been in the morgue a lot lately and the dead don't use the Internet. Thanks for acknowledging my absence; I will try to post more.

-Xar666

Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2002 :  12:46:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Look forward to see ya........and I'm sure the dead won't miss you........but you never know.

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2002 :  04:58:08 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Well Xar, if you look thru the myriad of posts, I have mentioned your name a number of TIMes. Glad to see you still around speaking your mind. I always grew up with the question: Are you and Elvis fan or a Beatles fan. I am a BEATLES fan!! I like Elvis but I feel Beatles changed music as we know. Of course they acknowledge Elvis influence on them so he cannot be discounted. For my money, the Beatles are the way to go. I am sure of 1 thing, if Elvis was alive today(which he MIGHT be), he would be a big fan of..................

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2002 :  07:25:31 AM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I will acknowledge what he contributed to the industry, but I do not like his music.

See....that's really all you needed to say.

Adam

Go to Top of Page

NeverKillADream
Yak Addict

USA
652 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2002 :  11:59:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit NeverKillADream's Homepage  Send NeverKillADream an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Im about fucking tired of people bashing Dave Matthews cause he went with Glen Ballard, Dave worked hard and wrote hard for many years, and earned and played his way to the top, has a great band, and if he wants to use a different producer for one album, then i think he should be able to without internet fools who think they know more than he Does about HIS life HIS situation and what HE is doing or has DONE going around saying he messed up and blah blah, Dave could care less what people think about his choice, and I could care less what you think about....anything really.

Using The Force Daily...
NeverKillADream@aol.com
Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2002 :  11:06:52 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I don't bash Dave Matthews. I just choose not to listen to him anymore. It's not that I havne't tried to get back into him. I thought that Busted Stuff would be my saving grace, that it would re-introduce me to the band, but it didn't. I still like Raven, but not enough to get me back into the band wholeheartedly. I tried listening to UTTAD, R2T, Crash, and even tapes of shows I have from 1993. I can't get it back, no matter what I do. I'm not sure if it was Everyday or what, I am just not into it anymore. I also thought that LIve In Chicago may bring me back, but I just fast forward to the Tim solos when I listen to it. I actually think that Tim became more of the appeal to me then the whole DMB.

Sure, I was into DMB befoer I knew who Tim was. Sure, DMB got me INTO Tim. Sure, Dave matthwes actually inspired me to play guitar. I don't deny any of this. But after Crash, and BTCS, I looked forward to new DMB albums for Tim's parts, almost as much as DMB's new songs. Tim outshined the whole band in my opinion, but never got the respect he deserved.

Whether he really wanted it or not in my opinion doesn't matter. You don't boo a man at a fucking D&T show when he's playing one of his own songs, just beause Dave isn't on the stage for 4 fucking minutes. He got no respect. I'm not saying I want everyone in the audience to log onto this site after a D&T show and love Tim as much or more than Dave. I would hate that, beacuse Tim would become just another pop icon and lose all of his appeal. I'm just saying give him the respect they'd give ANYONE playing guitar in front of them...Shut the fuck up, listen, enjoy, and open your mind to somethign that's not radio friendly for once in your life.

I'm not talking about a lot of DMB fans, a lot of DMB fans get into Phish, Blues Traveler, even Tim, because of DMB, and various musicians playing with them or opening for them. It just seems that, at D&T shows, if Daves not up there, people don't give a shit, and thats just rude.

I mean just look at the Nancies, or DMBML's message boards, Tim is blamed for fucking up the bands sound often on those sites. I've heard a few people say that he "ruined" many songs on LIC. The way I see it, as I said on DMBML, Tim helps "Breathe new life into a dying DMB for me" of course, that was back when LIC came out. As of now, DMB is all but dead to me. I don't listen to them, I'm not up on TV appearances, album releases( I got busted stuff 2 weeks after it came out, as soon as I found out about it), or tour dates.

Yes, The DMB is gone to me, and it sincerely breaks my heart to admit it, because back in 1993, 94, 95, etc... I would have never thought I would say that...but it's true, and I am saying it.

I'm sorry more than anyone else that I feel that way, but I do. LIke I said, I'm not sure why, the Tim thing is a reason, Everyday is a reason I'm sure...I don't really know why and that's the worst part of it.

Adam

Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2002 :  11:35:32 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Dude, your tastes just change. No need to beat yourself up over it.

I used to be a HUGE New Kids On The Block fan.

See, sometimes it's good to have changing tastes.

I am not the albatross of love, I am the human ellipsis. I am dot dot dot.
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2002 :  12:22:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay, I'm going to dive in here, and I don't mean to lessen anyone elses opinion just to express my own.

So, here goes.

I don't agree with the idea that DMB and Dave are bad because at D&T show's Tim might've gotten booed. I know that's not the only basis of your argument, but that's one point I wanted to address.
So, say that Tim Reynolds starts being played on the radio. And more people start to listen to him than ever before. That doesn't make his music any different. It doesn't make him any different. I don't think that Tim Reynolds's music would become dead if more people listened to it. I don't listen to underground things just to be different. I listen to independent artists and non-pop artsists because I like the music.

And it isn't your fault that you don't like this band anymore. As enthuTIMiast said, our tastes change and we can't control what they change to. And I don't think anyone should gang up on you, for once being a big DMB fan, to not liking them anymore. They have their opinions and you have yours.

So, um yeah. That's all I wanted to say.

"Don't drink the pickle juice from the pickle jar, until all the pickles are gone."
-Son of a Boss
Arthenc@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2002 :  4:43:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Dude, your tastes just change. No need to beat yourself up over it.

I used to be a HUGE New Kids On The Block fan.

See, sometimes it's good to have changing tastes.

I actually bought a blink 182 CD once. Looking back on it, I can't believe I did that. So, when my taste changed (or "got better"), I used it as a frisbee. It is pretty strange how you can grow out of a style, or in my case, into a style. A really good example is my sister. She used to listen to nothing but N*SUCK and Britney Spears, but now she wants me to burn all my DMB CDs. TIMes change and so do you.

And as for TR being on the radio.........1) It's not gonna happen & 2) if it did happen, the radio stations would probably mangle it so bad that the song would be two minutes, and all of us would be here complaining about it.

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2002 :  6:37:34 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one. Luckily we have a place like this where we can share our opinions openly. Whether someone likes or doesn't like Daves new album or his decision to use a diffent producer is strictly their opinion. I think it is nice to hear others opinions on subjects. Sometimes it can help me see something from a different angle I may have overlooked previously. I don't necessarily agree or change my mind but I like hearing other peoples takes on a situation. Whether Dave was right or wrong is really irrelevant, but people will have THEIR opinions on the subject. That is just the nature of the way the world works. Dave made his decisions based on what he wanted to do and really didn't take all his fans opinions on the subject into account. GOOD, he shouldn't have to, but when you are hugely popular the way Dave is your decisions, personal life, etc etc etc are always going to be largely watched and of course everyone will have their opinion of any given situation. No need to get mad if someone doesn't feel the way you do, it's just THEIR opinion. It is no more important to Dave than your opinion. People listen for diffent things in music. What one person likes another may not. Music listening is far to subjective to get worked up if someone does not agree with your choice or critique of a particular piece of music. I know there are people that hate the Beatles, but I would never tell them to stop hating the Beatles because their taste may not be the same as mine. I like it, they don't. I respect their choice to decide what they like and what they don't. I really hate it when I say I don't like some album and someone trys to tell me it is the greatest album ever or they get all defensive like I attacked them or told them their mother sucks cock. I always follow that with, "In your opinion." It's just music and each person decides what he or she likes. I am really rambling again so I will shut up. NEVERMIND

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2002 :  7:20:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Amen...

-Son of a Boss
Arthenc@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2002 :  8:23:46 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hallelujah Brother!! Discussions not arguments!! PEACE

Although arguments can be good as well and serve a purpose, if they don't get out of hand and everyone involved is civil and respectful of the others involved.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2002 :  11:59:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hopefully we won't need to set up a... "civil" code...

-Son of a Boss
Arthenc@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2002 :  2:37:24 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Definitely not!! As discussed in another recent thread:

http://www.timreynolds.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2324

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000