My latest homework assignment
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2002 :  8:59:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Finally, they ask me an interesting question:

"Independent labels have been, and most likely always will be, the lifeline of jazz. However, recent conversations with independent labels about the distribution and sales of their albums quickly turned depressing as the industry faces major challenges in placing product in the hands of consumers."

For this case assignment how can the independent labels distribute their product so that it is more readily available to me as a consumer. Write a three to five page paper describing your recommendation.

I'm open to any suggestions you might have!

teri

Did I mention that I finished a marathon?

dirtysloth
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1302 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2002 :  11:58:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is really cool, Teri. Hmmmmm. Maybe merge together to make some larger labels? Does that count?

Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2002 :  12:19:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I'm pretty much in brainstorming mode, so it counts! Consider you idea copied and pasted!

teri

Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2002 :  12:23:42 AM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Or instead of merging the actual labels together to one large label (which would probably turn ugly) just merge their advertising departments... that way, everyone can hit all the major markets and whatnot, but each label would still function independently.

I am not the albatross of love, I am the human ellipsis. I am dot dot dot.
Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2002 :  12:36:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
like a marketing cooperative?

teri

Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2002 :  12:45:32 AM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I wonder if Greg Howard and/or Michael Sokolowski still lurk around the board? I know both have posted a few times, and since both are independant Jazz musicians, I bet they could be a world of help.

As far as marketing tools, touring has obviously got to be the best way to get the music across to audiences, but another way is through the use of national public radio and college radio. A lot of Indie labels send out as many promos as they can, figuring that there is a chance someone will hear it it and tell a friend, then maybe that can start a word of mouth chain started and interest will build in the product.

Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2002 :  12:59:10 AM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
That's true Kevin. I heard of one of my favorite musicians...Leo Kottke... on NPR. And I still hear his music playing in the background during All Things Considered sometimes. That's a fabulous way to go, cause that stuff gets noticed...

And Teri, I have no idea what a marketing cooperative is...but that sounds like what I meant...

I believe the trading community does a heck of a lot for musicians. Just ask String Cheese Incident or Yonder Mountain String Band. If you'll allow the traders to get some of your stuff (and not piss and moan about it), then you'll reach a huge audience. And how many bands have started that way. At least one: the top touring band today is one, for example...

So that's suggestion #2. Allow dSBD taping. Soundboard patches to the shows. Get the GOOD recordings out there, not shitty audience recording crap. That's REALLY important. That stuff is like free advertising. People WILL trade it. If it's good (which is a foregone conclusion) then it will spread. If it sucks, then you'll have your answer.

Hope that makes sense Teri.

Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2002 :  01:02:12 AM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Another idea I was presented with yesterday is this...Take your product, whether it be cds, stickers or whatever, to shows of other musicians with YOUR fanbase. Give stickers away, have your contact info...(ideally just a website). And on that website, offer downloads of samples/songs by you. I got a sticker yesterday from the Wil Seabrook band. I went to their site, downloaded some songs. I don't like them, but I DID check them out.

That's my idea #3. If any of this is even what you're talking about Teri, just let me know. I can probably think of more if any of those work...

Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2002 :  01:10:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
All that makes sense to me for an indie band -- especially one without a label, or like Tim, who does his own production.

Does any of this get people to actually purchase CDs? I'd guess that's what the independent record labels are all about.

teri

Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2002 :  02:07:59 AM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I think it will get people to buy cds, unfortunately it wont be immediate. One alternative would be to give away a sampler cd as a promos before your actual album comes out. Put about 4 songs on the sampler, then once your cd comes out 2 months later, people who have heard some stuff will recognize the name, and might buy it. Does that make any sense? Unfortunately this plan seems like a long term plan, because this will make people more likely to buy your next cd, when that comes out too... because people will be more likely to buy somehing new from an artist they have heard, or already own an album of. <----- sentence ended in a preposition aaaahhhhhhh

Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2002 :  02:10:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Quickly on Leo Kottke...

If you read the Newspaper Comic Strip, GET FUZZY (It's my personal fav), the bachelor Rob, wears Leo Kottke shirts, there is a poster on the wall with Leo Kottke written on it, and he listens to the wonderful musicians CDS. There are lots of subtle images in Get Fuzzy!

"Don't drink the pickle juice from the pickle jar, until all the pickles are gone."
-Son of a Boss
Arthenc@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2002 :  02:31:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all the input guys! I have to go to bed now, but I will check back to see what else is there before I turn the paper in tomorrow.

teri :)
Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2002 :  08:58:09 AM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Jeez, just one day for a 3 to 5er?

Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2002 :  11:23:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, hell when I get assigned a paper I'm gonna bring it here to.

"Don't drink the pickle juice from the pickle jar, until all the pickles are gone."
-Son of a Boss
Arthenc@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2002 :  10:56:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I have had weeks and weeks to write this paper. I simply didn't look at the question until yesterday. ;-) I suck at holding a grudge but I'm GREAT at procrastination!

teri

Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2002 :  02:36:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I got an A- on each of the three papers I turned in this weekend. They were all totally late, and of minimal length. I'm very pleased.

Thanks for everyone's help on paper number 3. I just finished and turned in paper number 4, which was not as interesting as the jazz one. It was about how Hallmark can get more young mothers interested in their Gold Crown Stores. ICK! But at least it's done!

One more to go -- by Friday at 5PM. I'll do that one tomorrow. I've got to get to bed so I can get to work tomorrow. I just love pressure!

teri :)

teri

Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2002 :  04:16:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congratulations Teri, with luck I'll do that well in my classes!

-Son of a Boss
Arthenc@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000