New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dirtysloth
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1302 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2002 :  10:28:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had them removed yesterday. All 4. What a strange experience that was. They really kept that nitrous cranked! And they had the radio on the whole time too. So they're yanking teeth out of my skull and I'm in another dimension where John Popper has been crowned the Supreme Being. So I look like a chipmunk now, but it really doesn't hurt at all. The swelling is unpleasant, but not painful. The hardest part about it all is the pain killer to tell you the truth. I feel like doing things, but the medication says, "No! Pass out, you fool!". But I enjoy sleep so I guess that's not really a problem.

Saint Jude
Alien Abductee

USA
2144 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2002 :  11:48:06 AM  Show Profile  Send Saint Jude an AOL message  Reply with Quote
i reme...... well i dont really remember getting them pulled. boy was that interesting... suposedly i talked my ass off in the room after words. if u can, tape yourself afterwards when u get them pulled... cuz u will say some interesting shiz. enjoy the next few weeks w/ the codine or what ever u got.

- Without you, without you everything falls apart
Without you, it's not as much fun to pick up the pieces.
Go to Top of Page

dirtysloth
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1302 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2002 :  1:30:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They gave me Percodan for a couple days, which I guess might be some generic form of Percocet... Liz? I probably said a couple odd things while I was on the nitrous, but I pretty much avoided talking. With half of my face being numb, a couple gauze strips stuffed in my mouth, and spitting up quite a bit of a blood/saliva mix, talking was really barely even possible.

A little fact about codeine, or really about the Flecktones... the phrase "Flight of the Cosmic Hippo" was actually a take on a phrase that a fan shouted out at a show. The fan actually said, "Flight of the Codeine Hippo", but the Flecktones didn't like the drug reference so they changed it.

Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2002 :  2:14:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I was able to get through the wisdom teeth experience with just a local anesthesia. I guess I should have gone for the fun stuff. Darn.

teri

Did I mention that I finished a marathon?
Go to Top of Page

Jay
Alien Abductee

Vatican City
2279 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2002 :  4:57:18 PM  Show Profile  Send Jay an AOL message  Reply with Quote
hwne my oldest brother got his wisdom teeth pulled, he kept calling me, " Jason, king of all whales and sheep." It was odd...he was probably on acid anyway, so i dunno if it was the pain killers or whatever

Jay
" It's a scavenger hunt in the best of times, a one armed man with a box of dimes. Throw the stick and let the bulldog roll." KJP
Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2002 :  5:05:33 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hey. Your name's Jason too? My boss calls me Jay. I'd never thought about calling myself Jay before. My sister calls me Jas, and my nephew calls me Uncle Jas. I think it's super.

-what-
Go to Top of Page

LizT
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1687 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2002 :  5:50:53 PM  Show Profile  Send LizT an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hey Patrick... percocet is tyenol with oxycodone, percodan is with aspirin I think. They are stronger than tylenol #3 which has codeine.

I had all my wisdom teeth extracted under general anesthesia. Then about a week later I had all this pain and ended up with a dry socket. So they had to open the socket and pack it. It was a very miserable experience. It was much easier having my gall bladder removed, LOL!

Go to Top of Page

Reese
Try A Little Harder

USA
95 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2002 :  02:36:20 AM  Show Profile  Send Reese an AOL message  Reply with Quote
BEWARE THE DRY SOCKET!!! i got 2 of them. don't drink milk shakes throuhg a straw, it'll get you every time. my dentist failed to warn me of this one. so here is your warning.

reese

Go to Top of Page

LizT
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1687 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2002 :  04:28:40 AM  Show Profile  Send LizT an AOL message  Reply with Quote
You had 2 of them...EEKKKKK! I thought one was bad. Ouch!

Go to Top of Page

Saint Jude
Alien Abductee

USA
2144 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2002 :  11:37:04 AM  Show Profile  Send Saint Jude an AOL message  Reply with Quote
a friend of mine had three... good lord was he in pain. so stay away from dem shakes.

- Without you, without you everything falls apart
Without you, it's not as much fun to pick up the pieces.
Go to Top of Page

dirtysloth
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1302 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2002 :  09:31:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, and I was thinking about having a shake the other day, despite being warned of the dangers of sucking. Now I'm definitely glad I decided to play it safe.

So what exactly is a dry socket anyway? How does it happen and how is it corrected? I've heard plenty about how bad it is, but I'm still kind of in the dark as to what it is.

Go to Top of Page

Jay
Alien Abductee

Vatican City
2279 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2002 :  12:45:15 PM  Show Profile  Send Jay an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Yes Jason, my name is Jason. There must be 11 Jason's on this board! I guess people with our name are cool! I've never met a mean Jason.

Don't drink milkshakes with a dry socket...that should be dirtysloth's new signature....

Jay
" It's a scavenger hunt in the best of times, a one armed man with a box of dimes. Throw the stick and let the bulldog roll." KJP
Go to Top of Page

LizT
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1687 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2002 :  1:11:11 PM  Show Profile  Send LizT an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
A "dry socket" occurs when the blood clot is lost from an extraction site prematurely. Basically, the blood clot in the socket serves the same two functions as a "scab" on a skin surface cut. First, it assists in the cessation of bleeding and second, it protects underlying structures during the healing process. Like the child who "picks at a scab" the area heals in time but is painful for far longer than if the "scab" had been left alone.

When the blood clot is lost before the underlying structres have had time to heal, bone is exposed to the oral environment along with fine nerve endings. This is an exquisitely painful but otherwise relatively harmless situation. There are packing materials which the oral surgeon can place to help ease the discomfort both by physically blocking the wound and by the action of the chemicals in the pack on local nerve endings. Generally, patients return to have the pack changed every day or two and most patients do not require more than 2 or three dressing changes. Some patients require no dressing while others may require 4 or 5 changes of packing. Tincture of time and good oral hygiene usually resolve the situation.

There are some activities which may increase the propensity for dry socket formation...smoking, drinking carbonated beverages in the first 24 hours after surgery, spitting or drinking through a straw in that same time period...but often "dry sockets" occur for no particular reason at all.

I hope that answers your question Patrick.

Go to Top of Page

therippa
Fluffy-Esque

Kazakhstan
1099 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2002 :  1:51:34 PM  Show Profile  Send therippa an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Well, it's much better to get them out before they become impacted. I had mine taken out when I was 16. I didn't have nitrous, they gave me an IV with knock-out fluid. Only problem was half-way through the surgery I woke up and almost flipped out because I was do disoriented from the dope. So the nurse squeezed the bag and it put me right back out. I woke up 4 hours later and was completely in a daze. That stuff they put in your mouth to stop you from producing saliva really sucks. I was so damn thirsty. But I took good care of myself afterwards and had no problems with swelling. Good luck!

---------------
Aspiring to Be Fluffy-Esque

"I heard Tim stopped playing with Dave when he got pregnant"
Go to Top of Page

dirtysloth
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1302 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2002 :  4:15:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info, Liz. So far I'm doing great though, and I really hope it stays that way. The swelling is already going down, and it seems like I should be almost completely back to normal(except for the holes of course) very shortly.

Go to Top of Page

Xar666
Yak Addict

USA
546 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2002 :  5:14:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is a photo of me right before I had my Wisdom teeth removed. I had one that had grown in completely horizontal. That goddamned dentist was drilling/cutting and yanking at my skull with huge pliers for 3 hours! I had just had the anesthesia administered in the picture.

My head looks huge!

-Xar666

I never really hated a one true god, but the god of the people I hated.
Go to Top of Page

LizT
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1687 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2002 :  8:32:07 PM  Show Profile  Send LizT an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Xar did you get pics of the dentist pulling them too? I have pics from abdominal surgery. The collection of photos include my gall bladder, lysis of adhesions and x-rays from my fractured wrist. Kinda morbid isn't it?! LOL!

Go to Top of Page

LizT
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1687 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2002 :  8:33:32 PM  Show Profile  Send LizT an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Oh I forget the pics from the scope in my stomach too!

Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2002 :  8:49:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I guess people with our name are cool! I've never met a mean Jason.

What about the Jason in Friday the 13th?

teri

Did I mention that I finished a marathon?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000