Revamp the karma.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

My_Bad_Side
Alien Abductee

2000 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2002 :  01:58:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's the story on my job situation, for those following the saga.

The job I originally applied for some weeks (read: 6 weeks) ago had a flaw. The way the listing was worded, the contact was getting applications from PhDs. They were overqualified. And there was a sort of security issue (don't ask me what) with many of them being foreign. So in order to not have to hire one of them (and hire a less qualified, better candidate), the listing had to be removed and relisted in a different manner so that it was only for people like me, with BS in Biology and whatnot. The listing (when it's finally posted, if ever) won't even have college listed as a requirement.... I, however, know differently. So I'll apply, and I hope (pending the people ever actually listing this job) that I will get the job (and to be honest, I think I will.)

But I am tired of waiting, and this is where you all come into the picture. I just need some good vibes or whatever dan p. the hippie calls it (I'm just playing dan, come on). Maybe just think about me and hope that I get a better job. As it is, there are people (even here on the board) working at landscape nursery jobs (for example), who (I think) are still in high school, making about $4 more an hour than I make, and I'm a college graduate with a pretty good degree. So I'm feeling pretty sorry for myself, wanting to just go buy a pack of cigarettes (not that I've ever smoked. . .)

I've just finished printing 5 resumes (a pain in the ass, cause it wasn't just click and print, I had to change stuff for each printing), 5 cover letters (same saga with the changing stuff on them) and filled about 3 applications (10 minutes each).... All of them are for jobs that are jobs I would like to have (and make about twice what I make now), so I'd appreciate everyone thinking that I'll get a new job. I don't know what I want exactly. I guess I just want to expound on how much I would like to not work where I work now, without actually mentioning that at all, until now.

Anyway. Most of the jobs I'm either underqualified for (Senior Research Technician) or overqualified for (Groundskeeper). So I hope one of them will pan out.

Thanks for ... listening ... or whatever, I don't know.

No one understands me.

LizT
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1687 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2002 :  08:53:21 AM  Show Profile  Send LizT an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hey sweetie hang in there. Life is bittersweet. Those good vibes will come thru for you soon. You will be showered with sweetness!!!

Go to Top of Page

My_Bad_Side
Alien Abductee

2000 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2002 :  6:39:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd just like to send props out to all you nice people who thought about me today. Something clicked...I got a raise. So whether or not I get a new job (I'm still hoping) I get 50 cents more every hour. Not much, you're right. But it's better than 50 cents less every hour.

AND AND AND AND, I got signed up for insurance with the company policy (should have been since Feb...that's when I started full time). So that's actually more or less just like me getting about $83 more each month (which amounts almost exactly to another 50 cent raise), because $83 is what I pay for insurance each month now....

So this is good. The higher ups where I work got the idea that I was looking for a better job (and I just flat out told them today), so I guess they did what they could do to keep me there, which is very good for me. So. That's the story for now.

No one understands me.
Go to Top of Page

LizT
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1687 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2002 :  9:47:07 PM  Show Profile  Send LizT an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Things are looking up!

Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2002 :  10:01:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
They should give it to ya! I mean, you have been waiting for a very long TIMe to find out about the job. And that raise is for the office supply store? I can't remember if that was you.....but the whole insurance thing reminds me of when I went to work at Ralphes. I only worked there for two months and while I was there, I kept getting mail to join the union. I also noticed that they required a fee....so I said "Screw this! I ain't joinin' no union if I'm only gonna work there for two months." Luckily, I left just in TIMe because the day after I quit I got another letter saying that they would contact my store if they didn't receive payment soon. Not only that, but I got my membership card (5% discount) on my last day. Boy am I glad I'm outta there!

"I didn't think it was physically possible, but this both sucks and blows."
Go to Top of Page

My_Bad_Side
Alien Abductee

2000 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2002 :  01:43:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes it's me that works at the office supply store.

What happened when the Union contacted your store? (I mean, if they had, I understand that they didn't...) Maybe I don't understand the whole Union thing. Marital union, sure, but not Union with a U (<- that's upper case)...

Would you be paying a 'fee' for your 'protection' or what. Sounds kinda mobish if you ax me.

No one understands me.
Go to Top of Page

therippa
Fluffy-Esque

Kazakhstan
1099 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2002 :  02:21:42 AM  Show Profile  Send therippa an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I wish you the best of luck. At my company, my department lost most of it's funding so they couldn't afford to keep me in that dept. anymore...and the one I planned on switching to ALL GOT FIRED three days ago (the manager got fired via voicemail, he's on vacation). Luckily I think I found another dept. to work for. Think of me too!

---------------
Aspiring to Be Fluffy-Esque

"I heard Tim stopped playing with Dave when he got pregnant"
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2002 :  6:33:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I think it actually was for protection. You know....on-the-job accidents and such. And I think they cover things like dental and medical junk.....but that's aimed more at the people who make a career out of working at a grocery store.

Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2002 :  1:45:22 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Still no new word on the job situation. But I'm hoping that by the end of next week I'll have heard something. Keep your hopes up!

-what-
Go to Top of Page

Evergreen
Yak Addict

960 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2002 :  09:14:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hopes are way up for you. They just had this really awesome discussion on Art Bell about collective consciousness activities. Similar to this thread.

Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2002 :  10:32:17 PM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
What's the news Jason? Any news at all?

Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2002 :  12:32:51 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Had another interview somewhere else on campus yesterday. That interview took TWO HOURS. It was greuling. But I'll probably get that job if I want it. So that's good. More news later this week.

-what-
Go to Top of Page

Evergreen
Yak Addict

960 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2002 :  08:50:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey this organization is looking for an audio engineer
http://www.ghostpix.com/

Go to Top of Page

My_Bad_Side
Alien Abductee

2000 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2002 :  02:12:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Seriously, the job situation is looking up...I have an interview on Monday at lunchtime (11), so hope for me then...I'll tell you all about that job later, I'm sure some of you would really get a kick out of it! It would be one of the coolest jobs on campus...

I'm schizophrenic. And so am I. am I. am I. am I.
Go to Top of Page

revrendmaynard14
Chatterbox

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2002 :  5:34:01 PM  Show Profile  Send revrendmaynard14 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I need a job really bad, I'd like to work at the local music store, but you're not aloud to know anything about music to work there.

Go to Top of Page

NeverKillADream
Yak Addict

USA
652 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2002 :  9:02:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit NeverKillADream's Homepage  Send NeverKillADream an AOL message  Reply with Quote
She's Speaks the truth, in order to work at our local "Sam Goody" you must... Wear Slacks, Listen to either Hip Hop or Death Metal, and not know a damn thing about where anything is or who Any artist is unless they are a frequent TRL guest.

NeverKillADream@aol.com
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2002 :  04:19:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Welcome to mainstream America!........which is essentially crap!

Go to Top of Page

My_Bad_Side
Alien Abductee

2000 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2002 :  08:51:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Back to ME, which is the important thing here... as mentioned in the other post, I've an interview today...so everyone hope they like me.!!

Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2002 :  02:56:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Sending good karma! Hope you get the job, buddy!

Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2002 :  12:51:36 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Sending out instand karma to me... or something like that..

I am not the albatross of love, I am the human elipse. I am dot dot dot.
Go to Top of Page

My_Bad_Side
Alien Abductee

2000 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2002 :  01:19:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
More info on this new job revelation... called today to tell them I'm interested in the job and they said that they'd know on Monday who they are going to hire...of course with all the red university tape, it could still be a while before I actually HAVE the job...(well, if I get it, that is.)

Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2002 :  03:26:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Good God, man!! You're getting toyed with more than a dick at a strip joint!

Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2002 :  10:33:52 AM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Yes indeed...but I'm finally gettin' the money shot. I start Monday. hehe..

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2002 :  10:36:32 AM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Or maybe I'm givin' the money shot...either way, I start Monday.

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2002 :  3:02:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Maybe you'll get a money shot on Monday....

"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable but more useful than a life spent doing nothing." - George Bernard Shaw
Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2002 :  3:36:55 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I thought that's what I said.

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2002 :  3:41:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Eh........same difference.....

"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable but more useful than a life spent doing nothing." - George Bernard Shaw
Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2002 :  2:03:24 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Well, thanks for all the good thoughts in my search. As I guess most of you know, something finally panned out, and I'm glad for that. So thanks everybody!

Tim Reynolds Downloads
I am not the albatross of love, I am the human ellipsis. I am dot dot dot. - Leo Kottke

I hate beating people over the head with anything. We can all make up our own minds. What we don’t have is enough music. More music please. - Leo Kottke
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2002 :  05:40:41 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Must have been the karma!!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000