New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2002 :  11:22:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i've had that song on repeat on the cd player for days now...is that not the coolest song by pink floyd, it's like you really get lost in a dreamstate listening to it. makes you think...

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." -Gandhi

LizT
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1687 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2002 :  11:25:09 AM  Show Profile  Send LizT an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Excellent song, Pink Floyd is one of my favorite bands.

Go to Top of Page

dirtysloth
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1302 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2002 :  1:31:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Listening to them as I opened this topic. I love Pink Floyd.

Go to Top of Page

therippa
Fluffy-Esque

Kazakhstan
1099 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2002 :  2:22:17 PM  Show Profile  Send therippa an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Pink Floyd is quite possibly the greatest band ever (in my opinion)

I have an three-hour total commute everyday...thanks to the mp3 player in my car I have most of the PF albums all on one disc...the drive goes quicker when you have such great music to zone out to.

---------------
Aspiring to Be Fluffy-Esque

"I heard Tim stopped playing with Dave when he got pregnant"
Go to Top of Page

LizT
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1687 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2002 :  3:23:14 PM  Show Profile  Send LizT an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I have an three-hour total commute everyday...

I won't ever complain about my hour roundtrip to work anymore.

Go to Top of Page

Jamie M
Chatterbox

Canada
404 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2002 :  3:30:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pink Floyd is amazing. This morning I woke up to Comfortably Numb, so for once I didn't bash my alarm clock trying to turn it off.
Recently I've been listening to Animals alot, Dogs and Sheep are two of their best songs for sure, I feel like a fool that it took me so long to discover them.

Go to Top of Page

powdrdogdmb
Chatterbox

USA
131 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2002 :  3:47:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit powdrdogdmb's Homepage  Send powdrdogdmb an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hate to make you guys jealous, but in my travels abroad... I saw Roger Waters in Budapest, awesome show, he and his band did "Wish..." "Dogs" and a bunch of others... though I can't say I like all of the new stuff he played... But he was the one that wrote a ton of the original hits...
Peace Be With
-WBB
Go to Top of Page

dirtysloth
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1302 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2002 :  5:32:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone ever listen to Piper at the Gates of Dawn with Syd Barrett? It's sort of comparable to late Beatles work. Some songs are really some of the first attempts at what we now call space rock. Bike - some of the greatest lyrics ever! :

I've got a bike. You can ride it if you like.
It's got a basket, a bell that rings and
Things to make it look good.
I'd give it to you if I could, but I borrowed it.....
I know a mouse, and he hasn't got a house.
I don't know why. I call him Gerald.
He's getting rather old, but he's a good mouse......

Classic.

Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2002 :  5:56:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
damn...i feel bad cause i'm just now getting into them, and i only know a handful of songs by them. they are def. getting my respect of being a really good band though. i love how everything flows from one song to another, it's soo great!!

Go to Top of Page

Jamie M
Chatterbox

Canada
404 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2002 :  01:08:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Anyone ever listen to Piper at the Gates of Dawn with Syd Barrett? It's sort of comparable to late Beatles work. Some songs are really some of the first attempts at what we now call space rock. Bike - some of the greatest lyrics ever! :

Classic.

Heh, my brother played that for me just last weekend, I was laughing hysterically. It's such a different sound, I couldn't believe it.
Even a couple songs on Meddle are so different from how I know them, like San Tropez.

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2002 :  05:52:40 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
therippa said:
quote:
the drive goes quicker when you have such great music to zone out to.
I am not sure, but should you be "zoning out" while you are driving? That seems like possibly the worst TIMe to "zone out". Just my opinion, to each his own. Glad you are on your side of the country and I am on mine. HEHE. Actually with traffic the way it is in CA.(STOP and go) I guess with all the STOPs you do have plenty of TIMe to "zone out". Keep up the good work. Hey you, the light turned green!!(BEEP, BEEP!!!)

Anyway, as a youth I liked to go to sleep to Ummagumma. I especially liked it when I would just be dozing off in the mellow parts of Careful with that Axe, Eugene and I would suddenly be terrified when the screaming began. I used to have so much fun scaring myself with that. I am a huge Syd Barrett fan. Always have been. Him and Nick Drake. Genius' of the period.(both a little mental, but what good artist worth his craft isn't, HEHE) I am still a HUGE fan of DSotM and The Wizard of Oz. It still blows me away no matter how many TIMes I do it. If I had a dollar for everyTIMe I watched The Wall, well..... I would have ALOT of dollars. On the last Fall tour with TR every magazine seemed to be doing cover stories on PF. It was around the TIMe of the redun Gr Hits collection. I must have bought 7 or 8 magazines with huge PF spreads. It was awesome. I still haven't read them all. A couple of them are sitting next to me now. The magazines that is, not members of PF. "I have become COMFORTABLY NUMB!"

ps:The Simpsons when Peter Frampton bought the old blow up animals from the Pink Floyd yardsale. HEHE could you imagine? How kewl would that be?

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

Evergreen
Yak Addict

960 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2002 :  10:16:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just got Syd Barrett's 2 solo albums. There awesome!!
How about Astronomy Domine, anyone heard that one. Or Saucerful of Secrets.
Dark Side of the Moon and Wish You Were Here were the first 2 recordings I owned and they're still 2 of my all TIMe fav's.

Go to Top of Page

therippa
Fluffy-Esque

Kazakhstan
1099 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2002 :  1:27:49 PM  Show Profile  Send therippa an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:

therippa said:
quote:
the drive goes quicker when you have such great music to zone out to.
I am not sure, but should you be "zoning out" while you are driving? That seems like possibly the worst TIMe to "zone out". Just my opinion, to each his own. Glad you are on your side of the country and I am on mine. HEHE. Actually with traffic the way it is in CA.(STOP and go) I guess with all the STOPs you do have plenty of TIMe to "zone out". Keep up the good work. Hey you, the light turned green!!(BEEP, BEEP!!!)

Well, not zone out to the traffic, but zone out to the effect a 5 miles strech of cars not moving has on me!

---------------
Aspiring to Be Fluffy-Esque

"I heard Tim stopped playing with Dave when he got pregnant"
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2002 :  01:09:09 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I understand completely and you are back in my good graces. HEHE

Hey Evergreen, Voivod does an awesome version of Astronomy Domine. You should check it out. One of my faves is Interstellar Overdrive. There is a really rare full length version of it on a CD single. It is almost 17 minutes long. AWESOME!!! The CD single is called "Tonite Let's All Make Love In London" Here is a link to one available on ebay if someone wants to pick it up and check it out. I have it and when I get better set up would be happen to burn it for anyone who wants it. I already have it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=886384712

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2002 :  01:33:53 AM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I'm moody about Pink Floyd. Sometimes I dig them, sometimes I don't.. I think they're too depressing, but then again, I've never heard many of their albums..I think I have Wall and maybe one other one.

-what-
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2002 :  04:05:05 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Wow, I don't think I have ever heard that criticism of Pink Floyd. Music definitely affects different people differently, but I don't think Pink Floyd has ever depressed me. The really mellow me out. They are late nite, in the dark music for me. Their music has amazing textures to me. I think of it as very spacey and psychedelic. Lots of imagery comes to mind when I listen to it. Give it another shot, maybe you were not in the proper mood to appreciate it when you heard it. My mood really affects the way I listen to music. My mood also affects what I choose to listen to at any given moment. blah blah blah I am rambling again. SORRY

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2002 :  10:55:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hahahaha!!!! I found lyrics very funny because they reminded me of when Homer had to ride Lisa's bike to work....then he rings the bell and says it's not all bad.

"I didn't think it was physically possible, but this both sucks and blows."
Go to Top of Page

My_Bad_Side
Alien Abductee

2000 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2002 :  01:55:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I CAN'T believe you've never heard anyone say Pink Floyd was depressing...that's amazing to me. I thought everyone thought that more or less, but some people just dug that sort of music. I'm as shocked as you are Fluffy. Just for the opposite reason.

No one understands me.
Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2002 :  4:08:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah, i finally have listened to dark side of the moon, everyday, for the past month or so.... all i have to say is DAMMMNNN...pink floyd is soo fuckin' great, good at that dark mood stuff, and lighter sounding stuff too. my new fav. band!

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2002 :  6:17:23 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
WISH YOU WERE HERE.....so you could share a...........

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2002 :  6:17:53 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

Ginohassideburns
Try A Little Harder

USA
56 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2002 :  6:54:49 PM  Show Profile  Send Ginohassideburns an AOL message  Reply with Quote
probably the best simpsons episode ever created

Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2002 :  3:39:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
"ummm....excuse me, barkeep?....I want to inquire about your sign."
"You mean the one that says 'Bartenders do it 'til you barf'?"
"No. Above that store-bought drollery."

"I didn't think it was physically possible, but this both sucks and blows."
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000