To Those Who Fingerpick...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

revrendmaynard14
Chatterbox

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2002 :  9:49:45 PM  Show Profile  Send revrendmaynard14 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
This may be a little off the wall, but do you (who fingerpick) spend a lot of time "grooming" your nails and fingers???

*~Kaleigh~*

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2002 :  9:57:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
What do you mean? Do I keep them short? Yes......my friend plays the ukulele and has a very long nail on only his index finger so he can pick quickly without having to use a pick. I tried the same thing except on all of my fingers, and they were nothing but trouble. I would always scratch myself and they would get caught on my shoes when I was putting them on......basically it wasn't worth it. So I just keep them short because everything is easier that way.

"I didn't think it was physically possible, but this both sucks and blows."
Go to Top of Page

revrendmaynard14
Chatterbox

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2002 :  10:02:03 PM  Show Profile  Send revrendmaynard14 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Yes that is what I meant, I got my nails "done" once when I played bass...BIG mistake! Ukulele, how unique.

*~Kaleigh~*
Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2002 :  11:04:04 PM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I like to leave just a tiny sliver on my picking hand, not enough for being useful for picking or for anyone to notice, but it helps me feel the strings in the right way. I refuse to grow them out... it's just creepy.
-J

Go to Top of Page

Saint Jude
Alien Abductee

USA
2144 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2002 :  1:43:52 PM  Show Profile  Send Saint Jude an AOL message  Reply with Quote
i have my nails grow out a bit, keep in condition w/ a file every now and then. just enought so that they can get a good sound out of the guitar if i need it louder.

- Without you, without you everything falls apart
Without you, it's not as much fun to pick up the pieces.
Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2002 :  2:02:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i clip mine as short as i can really so only the flesh of my fingers hit the strings. i hate playing and getting a nail caught in the string, it hurts like a bitch if it really pulls on it!

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." -Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

Reese
Try A Little Harder

USA
95 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2002 :  01:01:07 AM  Show Profile  Send Reese an AOL message  Reply with Quote
right now mine nails are short. i kept them a little long for a while, and i really like playing with them long. but the troubles they caused with everyday life just weren't worht it. and i was always thinking people were looking at them. thinking i was crazy for haveing long nails on just one hand. so now i keep them short for the sake of being social.

reese

Go to Top of Page

Saint Jude
Alien Abductee

USA
2144 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2002 :  09:45:35 AM  Show Profile  Send Saint Jude an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
and i was always thinking people were looking at them. thinking i was crazy for haveing long nails on just one hand.

thats when u slice their eyes open w/ the sharpened nails.

Go to Top of Page

revrendmaynard14
Chatterbox

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2002 :  9:45:59 PM  Show Profile  Send revrendmaynard14 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I agree VWF, and I do basically the same. If any one wanted to say something about me having some short nails and some long I would tell them its a guitar player thing, its over their head, and they wouldn't understand...and then slice their eyes...like St. Jude mentioned.

*~Kaleigh~*
Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2002 :  10:14:27 PM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
yeah i got the nails on just one hand. people ask why. i say "come here and i'll show you." if they do, i do the eyeball slice thing and say "because i can."

push becomes shove. days become months. i seem to have forgotten the warmth of the sun.
Go to Top of Page

revrendmaynard14
Chatterbox

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2002 :  10:53:31 PM  Show Profile  Send revrendmaynard14 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
yea thats the way to do it

*~Kaleigh~*
Go to Top of Page

Jay
Alien Abductee

Vatican City
2279 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2002 :  2:37:22 PM  Show Profile  Send Jay an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I use metal fingerpicks. They scratch the strings sometimes, but i really like them....i used to use my fingertips, but i had a little trouble getting the sound loud and clear enough..

Jay
" It's a scavenger hunt in the best of times, a one armed man with a box of dimes. Throw the stick and let the bulldog roll." KJP
Go to Top of Page

revrendmaynard14
Chatterbox

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2002 :  2:41:35 PM  Show Profile  Send revrendmaynard14 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I like the quiet melodic sound of my fingertips

*~Kaleigh~*
Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2002 :  12:53:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I do believe BigBlastOfHotAir needs to learn how to use the delete button... Or is he just trying to get more posts associated with his name?

teri

Did I mention that I finished a marathon?
Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2002 :  12:54:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Speaking of which, if I post 12 more times tonight (including this one) I think I go up by one guitar! How Thrilling!

teri

Did I mention that I finished a marathon?
Go to Top of Page

revrendmaynard14
Chatterbox

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2002 :  01:27:26 AM  Show Profile  Send revrendmaynard14 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I can't wait 'til I get 5 guitars...on that day I will officialy be a woman...j/j lol

*~Kaleigh~*
Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2002 :  1:36:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I use metal fingerpicks. They scratch the strings sometimes, but i really like them....i used to use my fingertips, but i had a little trouble getting the sound loud and clear enough..

Jay
" It's a scavenger hunt in the best of times, a one armed man with a box of dimes. Throw the stick and let the bulldog roll." KJP

i hear that! that's the only disadvantage for me playing fingerstyle is that it's really quiet, and i have to get a pick to make louder sounds, but then when i pick up a bass it's fine fingerstyle.

Go to Top of Page

genome
Fluffy-Esque

1098 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2002 :  1:39:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I'm fingerpicking, I find that it's better to have a little bit of nail, but not too much, or you'll scratch the inside of your nose.

My doctor says that my nose bleeds so much cause I always put my finger up there.

?uoyt' ner a, mehtf oenoer 'uoY
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2002 :  8:57:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
"Now remember Ralphie, if your nose starts bleeding, that means you're picking it too much.......or not enough!"

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2002 :  9:24:25 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
To those who fingerpick? What else would you use to pick your nose? I am not sure I want to hear the answers to that question.

and remember,

You can pick your friends BUT
You can't pick your friends nose.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

Saint Jude
Alien Abductee

USA
2144 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2002 :  11:37:59 PM  Show Profile  Send Saint Jude an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
What else would you use to pick your nose?

i keep my left hands nails short for such things.

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2002 :  12:33:46 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Playing the guitar or picking your nose?

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

Saint Jude
Alien Abductee

USA
2144 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2002 :  12:42:04 AM  Show Profile  Send Saint Jude an AOL message  Reply with Quote
uhh, both i guess.

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2002 :  10:47:15 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I find that keeping the nail a little long helps with the nose picking and the guitar picking. I guess it is just a matter of preference. To each his own. Fingernails are good for DIGGING!!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

Ginohassideburns
Try A Little Harder

USA
56 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2002 :  10:50:13 PM  Show Profile  Send Ginohassideburns an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I play Flamenco Guitar and I am always taking care of my nails it seems. My nails look better than my girlfriends it seems sometimes. To obtain opptimal sound I keep a little long on my right hand. This allows speed and accuracy. NOTE: Do not and I repeat Do not!!!! buy those fake nails that you put on your nails they suck and if you play with those I shall beat you to death with my nail trimmer!

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2002 :  11:17:58 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Or claw our eyes out with those long fingernails of yours. HEHE

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2002 :  11:15:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
nine inch nails!!!

Go to Top of Page

Micheal
Try A Little Harder

USA
50 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2002 :  4:55:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Micheal's Homepage  Send Micheal an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I'm sure a little finger nail may also come in handy for a quick pick before giving a rim job.

Sorry I had to take this to that level but I just saw south park the movie for the first time yesterday and discoverd that brilliant term.

I like using a thick, black two sided emory board to keep my nails low and to get them lower. The file also wakes up my finger tips in a cool way right before playing. The little bit of nail powder from filing feels nice when I first touch the guitar. Tone is in the fingers and I insist that my playing of electric or acoustic guitar or bass starts with my fingers. Flat pick is my only rare alternative to fingers.

Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2002 :  01:46:06 AM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Every time I see the title of this thread (ok, once or twice, maybe)...I think of that song...

For Those About To ROCK.

-what-
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2002 :  05:43:21 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
There is a band called The Queers who did a cover of that and changed the title to For Those Who Suck Cock. You should see the cover of the single, it is hilarious.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2002 :  9:17:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Or haw about America's "Whore With No Name"

Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2002 :  10:03:45 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I never fingerpicked much until I got into John Prine. His songs like Hello In There and All The Best require it to sound right. I still just use my bare fingers, but I need to buy some fingerpicks.

Adam

Everybody's talkin' at me, I can't hear a word they're sayin'...Just driving 'round in Jon Voight's car...

Email: Guitar_Boy1@yahoo.com

AIM: GuitarGuy305
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000