Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Tim Reynolds Message Board
 TRelated Topics
 Tim @ Milly's? Minny's? from back in the day...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mgodinez
Is Anybody Here?

USA
42 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2002 :  4:29:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's cool to read posts from people, who depict the first time they were exposed to Mr. Reynolds' music. I first saw Tim in Milly's? Minny's? back in the early 90's. The name of the cafe escapes me, I know it was located in Richmond VA. Anyone else catch Tim there? Or know of the cafe I'm speakin' of?

What was amazin' about that night...oh say 10 years ago, was that Tim played the entire show w/ the Flu. So me and my bros are sittin' there in this small cafe, must've only held like 30 people. They had seen Tim in the past at the FloodZone in Richmond VA. So they hipped me up to his vibe.

The band had showed up about 20min. before Tim arrived. It was interestin' to hear the conversation among the band members. Apparently, the last time they had played together was like about 2 months prior to this show at Milly's. Tim walks in, w/ a small amp and guitar clase. If I recall correctly, I think he was usin' Gibson Les Paul Standard, Sunburst. Tim greets the men, and then they proceeded to tear the roof off the motha.

With Tim bein' ill that night, there were no vocals at this show. My bros said that they heard him sing at the floodzone, but then again, from what I understand, a third of the show at the zone was Tim up on stage w/ 2 other dudes, hammerin' out rhythems on african drums. Needless to say, me thinks the zone show was unique.

Tim's endurance that evenin' was amazin'. After 3 plus hours of music, the cafe started to close down. But Tim played on. He even played happy birthday to some girl celebratin' hers. It was almost as if he was workin' out his illness through his music. At the end of the gig, Tim was drenched w/ sweat (I was afraid he might've gotten electrocuted from the humbucker), and looked as if he might pass out from dehydration. Up to this point, I hadn't seen anyone that gave as much as Tim did for his music. From that point on, I was hooked...

mgodinez

Seattle, Wa

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2002 :  11:10:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
He played Southern Cal and Arizona with the flu too, so I guess he's just as dedicated now as he was 10 years ago! I wish I could have seen him back then to compare his old stage persona to his current one. I know he didn't have Sister back then -- or the gas mask either...

teri

Did I mention that I finished a marathon?
Go to Top of Page

mgodinez
Is Anybody Here?

USA
42 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2002 :  10:58:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah...no sister or gas mask that evenin'. I think Tim was still in the midst of workin' out the mothership connection.

Man, he was a bad ass even 10 years ago. 10 years ago, I was like, man this guy is 10 years ahead of his time. Seein' him again 10 years later, and I'm like, "Man, this guy is out of this world".

mgodinez

Seattle, Wa
Go to Top of Page

mgodinez
Is Anybody Here?

USA
42 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2002 :  10:59:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
by the way, which marathon did you finish?

mgodinez

Seattle, Wa
Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2002 :  1:05:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
man, at first i thought this topic was aboot miller's and he didn't know it. but no, it's richmond, so i have no idea...

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." -Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2002 :  6:51:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I did the Honoloulu Marathon last December. I was in a training group that raised money for AIDS project LA. We took us forever to do the marathon, but at least my roommate and I raised $7200!

teri

Did I mention that I finished a marathon?
Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2002 :  7:17:46 PM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
MG: I have a few recordings of Houston/Tim/Johnny from around that time. The earliest one I have is from 1988. The strangest thing is that Tim has actually been playing versions of those really old songs on this new tour. A few of the songs I recognized off of the original 1988 TR3 release, and I'm sure that one is a new version of a song off shifting currents. I just thought it was interesting that Tim decided to record the beats for those old songs first.

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2002 :  8:55:32 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Well as TR was struggling thru the last dates of the past tour, he was battling the flu. He said the best he felt was when he was onstage performing. It was the only TIMe he didn't feel sick at all. He also said it helps him to sweat it out. As for the older songs, TR has made no bones about the fact that he has never felt the older stuff reflected him as he would have liked. Creating the band "Pagan Underdogs" gave him a chance to work on material he had never been completely happy with. Things he would have liked to work on a little more but due to TIMe, money and band members he had never quite gotten them where he was completely comfortable with them. The new band has given him much opportunity to work on material until TR has found the way it works best. Different tunings that make it easier for him to sing the songs better, etc etc etc. I think I wrote about this before the tour started. I will see if I can find the post.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2002 :  9:35:46 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Here is a link to more board members 1st experiences with TR.

http://www.timreynolds.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=78

I could not find the link to the old topic where I talked about TR working on the new and old material. I have one more thing to try, maybe I will have some luck.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

mgodinez
Is Anybody Here?

USA
42 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2002 :  8:57:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
The new band has given him much opportunity to work on material until TR has found the way it works best. Different tunings that make it easier for him to sing the songs better, etc etc etc. I think I wrote about this before the tour started. I will see if I can find the post.

The new band, Fluffy? I'm most likely misinterpretin' this one. Are you meanin' that the tracks that Mr. Reynolds has programmed in his midi/syths are actual musicians that Tim hammered out the tunes w/ before he went on tour. Or are the programmed drum/bass tracks on his new tour just that...programmed drum/bass.

At any rate, the drum/bass on the new tour sounds awesome...hittin' absolutely hittin'. At first listen it seemed like they were actual musicians, that Tim recorded live.

mgodinez.

Seattle, Wa
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2002 :  4:56:10 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
The "new band" is the machines on stage with TR. TR calls them "The Pagan Underdogs". All the sounds you hear are performed or programmed by TR. He played the bass and programmed the drums and all the unique, weird sounds you heard. So it is basically TR playing everything, much like "Sanctuary" He is finally working with "a band" that is patient enuf to let him work on a song until he gets it the way he wants it.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

mgodinez
Is Anybody Here?

USA
42 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2002 :  5:32:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
lol...

Now I get it, Fluffy. Thanks for the reply...hope Tim is feelin' better. Take care.

mgodinez.

Seattle, Wa
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000