MUST READ BEFORE YOU GO SEE TIM
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Afronius
Is Anybody Here?

4 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2002 :  9:40:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Before any of you Tim fans go to see his new concert, I have to let you know that it is not impressive at all. Unfortunately I just found out last night that his tour was in Boulder, CO. and I drove an hour and a half from Greeley to see him. He only picked up an acoustic guitar for one song and it was a classical. About 2/3 of the audience left before the show was even half over and the rest of us that stayed just to see if he would pick up the acoustic again and paly anything worth waiting for, but he never did. The entire concert is full of easy Butt-rock riffs played over techno and synthesized effects. The only reaction he recieved from the crowd was blank stares. NO solo's, no bad-ass Tim Reynolds styles, no nothing. I guess this is where his music is heading, which is unfortunate because he is so gifted. But he showed nothing of this last night, and his opening act (Doug Baker) was the most enjoyable part of the show. He definately lost some fans last night and probably won't get them back until he tours with Dave again. Rob

dick mountjoy
Chatterbox

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2002 :  9:42:57 PM  Show Profile  Send dick mountjoy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
you sir, have obviously not been paying much attention

Go to Top of Page

Afronius
Is Anybody Here?

4 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2002 :  9:45:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah i guess not, but foes anyone really like that kind of stuff in comparison to what he's played in the past, even on the electric, he has always been bad ass

Go to Top of Page

dick mountjoy
Chatterbox

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2002 :  9:50:55 PM  Show Profile  Send dick mountjoy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
from what's been posted by fluffy in the past, it seems like TIM was a little burnt out on the acoustic following the TIM and dave tours, and he decided to move toward the electric end of the spectrum. listening to more metal, experimenting with the drum machine, doing more extraterrestrial type music as of late just seems to satisfy TIM's musical tastes right now. if you don't like it, fine. but i must say that i'm disappointed if people only enjoy TIM for 'stream' and 'rheginos and the resurrection'. he has such a large catalog of music...i suggest you open your mind to different sounds and just OPEN UP and LET IT IN. petroglyph, puke matrix, and light up ahead are just as much TIM as are stream and gossip of the nuerons.

Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2002 :  10:09:23 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I must first say, Light Up Ahead is awesome.

Then...I didn't even know TIM was bringing an acoustic on this tour...?

-What-
Go to Top of Page

Micheal
Try A Little Harder

USA
50 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2002 :  10:22:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Micheal's Homepage  Send Micheal an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I wish I could suck like Tim. CAUGH CHOKE GAG PASS

Go to Top of Page

Afronius
Is Anybody Here?

4 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2002 :  10:37:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You're right, I am sorry for the offensive comments and i haven't been paying attention, but I don't think that he was anything like anyone there had expected, thats all. And no he didn't bring an actual acoustic with him on the tour

Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2002 :  10:38:38 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:

He only picked up an acoustic guitar for one song and it was a classical.

Then how did he manage that?

-What-
Go to Top of Page

dick mountjoy
Chatterbox

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2002 :  10:56:27 PM  Show Profile  Send dick mountjoy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
how can you go to a TIM show expecting anything in particular? you're going to see a man who has played on stage in a diaper, in a gas mask, in leather hot pants. if you were to expect any one thing, i would say it would be the unexpected.

Go to Top of Page

NeverKillADream
Yak Addict

USA
652 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2002 :  11:10:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit NeverKillADream's Homepage  Send NeverKillADream an AOL message  Reply with Quote
How about this, how about Tim Reynolds has been out for many years, and has given you plenty of musical genious to feast upon, that if he wants to experiment and give certain styles im sure a "TEMPORARY" rest, then he should be able to without a bunch of Tim lost it, give up on it, non musical minded understanding crap like that. Take in whatever he puts out, for he is a born musical genious, and i can pretty much bet he knows what he's doing.
-A fellow acoustic/electric musician. who accepts and understands the concept of change and growth.
-Joe

Go to Top of Page

NeverKillADream
Yak Addict

USA
652 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2002 :  11:18:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit NeverKillADream's Homepage  Send NeverKillADream an AOL message  Reply with Quote
One more thing, Did i mention "genious" ?

Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2002 :  11:45:18 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
One thing, did I mention that its spelled "genius"?

-What-
Go to Top of Page

NeverKillADream
Yak Addict

USA
652 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2002 :  11:56:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit NeverKillADream's Homepage  Send NeverKillADream an AOL message  Reply with Quote
grammar aside, i made my point.
-Joe

Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2002 :  12:10:23 AM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I can dig it.

-What-
Go to Top of Page

rubylith
Fluffy-Esque

1915 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2002 :  11:26:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit rubylith's Homepage  Reply with Quote
the question is:

does showing off your talents make you talented?

no

talent comes from creation, listen to what he does, do just wait to see what he does, or when he will play up on where your suppossed to pick, or when he puts on the gas mask.

listen...
you can learn a lot.

-Dave
Go to Top of Page

NeverKillADream
Yak Addict

USA
652 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2002 :  11:30:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit NeverKillADream's Homepage  Send NeverKillADream an AOL message  Reply with Quote
didn't i cover that? anyway, you're right, and i think that noone need warn us not to go see Tim, lmao, fat chance...
-Laughin in Indiana

Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2002 :  12:40:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah, Tim is great for that reason alone, that he can transcend so many styles and genres of music with whatever he does. His virtuosic ability doesn't always mean he's gonna show off how fast he can play riff or a scale, it's the melodies and how he fits them into his own way. Let the man do as he wishes, because who knows what genre or style he'll go into next. i like that quote aboot him "expect the unexpected" from dick.

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." -Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

NeverKillADream
Yak Addict

USA
652 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2002 :  12:49:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit NeverKillADream's Homepage  Send NeverKillADream an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Another fine set of point that uphold tims musical godlikeness, and leway to do what he wants.
Tim Basher, it appears, you are the weakest link...
~Goodbye~

Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2002 :  12:56:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
harharhar, visions of that weakest link bitch dancing in my head!

Go to Top of Page

NeverKillADream
Yak Addict

USA
652 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2002 :  1:02:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit NeverKillADream's Homepage  Send NeverKillADream an AOL message  Reply with Quote
i dont think i could deal with seeing her dance, eww... im more of a princess leia kinda guy...
-Joe

Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2002 :  3:06:03 PM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
i perfer tim's acoustic stuff, too. but if kinda have to listen to the electric stuff in a different way.

push becomes shove. days become months. i seem to have forgotten the warmth of the sun.
Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2002 :  5:53:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"princess leia where are you tonight, and she's laying there by my side" -blink 182 shit is that lady hot though!

Go to Top of Page

NeverKillADream
Yak Addict

USA
652 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2002 :  5:56:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit NeverKillADream's Homepage  Send NeverKillADream an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Princess Leia... Yes.
Blink 182... No.
lol,
Joe

Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2002 :  9:27:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah i'd bang princess leia, but not blink 182

Go to Top of Page

j
Chatterbox

149 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2002 :  9:40:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit j's Homepage  Send j an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Regardless if I agree with anything anyone has said, it is obivous that everyone except Afronius has a confirmation bias. I don't think there is much room for disagreement with the tim reynolds praise in the board, and I was hoping someone would at least admit to that.

Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2002 :  9:58:46 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Regardless if I agree with anything anyone has said, it is obivous that everyone except Afronius has a confirmation bias. I don't think there is much room for disagreement with the tim reynolds praise in the board, and I was hoping someone would at least admit to that.

I have no idea what this means, -J.

Heheh...he. Shot in the dark...

-What-
Go to Top of Page

LizT
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1687 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2002 :  10:28:41 PM  Show Profile  Send LizT an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Patrick you were just promoted a rank on the TR Task Force!

It's not stopping me from flying across the country to see A TR show!

Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2002 :  10:30:14 PM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I have no idea what this means, -J.

Confirmation bias is a social psychology term... it just means that we tend to search out information to confirm our own beliefs. In this case, what J is saying is that some on the board may be rationalizing the new material by way of attributing it to musical genius or Tim's unchallenged creativity, rather than admitting that it is in some way inferior to his other work... thereby strengthening their own views that Tim is infallible.
-J

Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2002 :  11:18:50 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Wow. You really ARE smart.

-What-
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2002 :  02:13:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Liz said:
quote:

Patrick you were just promoted a rank on the TR Task Force!

Aw man! Now there are two Patricks! This is gonna get confusing.

EnthuTIMsiast said:
quote:

Wow. You really ARE smart.

Naw.......he's just learned.

"Life is what you make of it, not what you take from it."
Go to Top of Page

NeverKillADream
Yak Addict

USA
652 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2002 :  10:04:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit NeverKillADream's Homepage  Send NeverKillADream an AOL message  Reply with Quote
im sorry but did I mention Genius earlier? Oh yea, i did...
Joe

Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2002 :  11:39:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
No no no....what I meant was that there are now two Patricks on the TR Task Force.....while simultaneously knowing that we have both been here for some TIMe, so as to make absolutely no sen........just forget it. It was supposed to be funny.

Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2002 :  12:12:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
TR task force strikes back III, coming soon to a theater near you!

Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2002 :  12:15:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Now already out in theaters!!! Check it out!

http://www.timreynolds.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1719

Go to Top of Page

Jamie M
Chatterbox

Canada
404 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2002 :  6:18:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
He definately lost some fans last night and probably won't get them back until he tours with Dave again

Oh c'mon give me a break, where's the reasoning in this one? Real TIM REYNOLDS fans are capable of appreciating a man to likes to take his music to different places. Why would a TIM REYNOLDS fan give up on TIM until he tours with DAVE? Doesn't sound like Tim is losing any of HIS fans, just the DAVE MATTHEWS FANS. GOOD FOR HIM!!!!!!!

Peace,
Patrick

http://members.tripod.com/one4tim/index.htm

Perfectly said(written).

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2002 :  09:07:36 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Patrick, I couldn't have said it better myself, I was already thinking it and waiting till I got to the bottom to type it and low and behold you had already typed it.
quote:
Doesn't sound like Tim is losing any of HIS fans, just the DAVE MATTHEWS FANS.

NEXT

quote:
Confirmation bias is a social psychology term... it just means that we tend to search out information to confirm our own beliefs. In this case, what J is saying is that some on the board may be rationalizing the new material by way of attributing it to musical genius or Tim's unchallenged creativity, rather than admitting that it is in some way inferior to his other work... thereby strengthening their own views that Tim is infallible.
-J

I can't speak for other people(obviously)but there is no rationalizing that what TR is performing now on the road is somehow inferior to his other work. I have watched him create the show that everyone is talking about. When you see the structuring and 1 man performance there is no debating whether it is touched by genius. Of course it is open to debate it it is any good or not. This all comes back to personal opinions and tastes. Some will like it, some won't. I am not at all surprised that DMB fans are turned off by TR's new direction. I an not at all surprised that acoustic afficionados are turned off by TR's new direction. I would be surprised if a guitar player was turned off by TR's new direction. The sounds and layers that he creates on the ChaosView2002 tour are mindblowing. It is definitely not for all tastes. It is worthy of a wider audience than TR unfortunately has. When musicians discover TR outside of the context of DMB and see him for his own musicianship TR stands out from the crowd. He is a true original. His music and performance touch a place in my heart and soul as does alot of music that I think most people if I played it for them would say "That Sucks!!" I don't expect everyone to get it. Music is a truly personal experience for the performer and the listener. If the 2 find that common ground it is magic. If they don't, they don't. I am could go on rambling about this for pages. Hopefully I have made my point clear and concise. Thanx for everyones opinion on the shows, we appreciate the feedback. Everyone else needs to remember that these are one persons opinions and as I am so fond of doing I would ask everyone to take a listen and judge for yourself. See if it touches that special place in you. Maybe it will, maybe it won't, but it certainly won't kill anyone to try. I can't count the TIMes I have read a bad review of something and thought "Wow, that is just the kind of thing I would like!" All the reasons they gave for hating it are just the things I am looking for. PERSONAL TASTE!!!!!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2002 :  11:53:44 AM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I personally cannot wait to see this new stuff.
-J

Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2002 :  12:34:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i don't care if he starts playing solo kazoo, i'd love to see tim reynolds perform sometime, since i never have before. what an experiance it is i bet!

Go to Top of Page

Dave S
Chatterbox

USA
145 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2002 :  1:57:14 PM  Show Profile  Send Dave S an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Call me a freak, but my favorite song that I've heard Tim play live was a "bastardized" version of kundalini bonfire on the electric. yes that's right, on the electric. A close second was the song (the name I don't recall) played on the Veillette. True, the music played on the electric is of a different style, but it is amazing nonetheless. I'm seeing Tim in Portland this Sunday, so I'll have an eyewitness report of the show. and really, i think it will be awesome to hear Tim play what he really wants to play,

People too soon forget that tim's music is not meant for casual listening...meaning it isn't supposed to be elevator music, you have to really listen to it to understand it, and once you get it, you see its true beauty.

Go to Top of Page

Jamie M
Chatterbox

Canada
404 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2002 :  5:45:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fluffy said:
quote:

I would be surprised if a guitar player was turned off by TR's new direction.

There's a difference between taste and appreciation. I, personally, do not particularly enjoy the music Tim is doing this tour, or the direction he is heading right now. But as a guitar player, I have a great amount of appreciation for what he's doing, and because of that I will still make an effort to see any show he plays in my area, just because I have so much respect for him and his music.

But honestly, I think in the next 2, maybe 3 years, Tim will be switching back to an acoustic phase. And I'm sure then he will be better than ever because of what he's doing now, and I'll be happier than ever with his music.

Go to Top of Page

NeverKillADream
Yak Addict

USA
652 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2002 :  5:52:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit NeverKillADream's Homepage  Send NeverKillADream an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Jamie I couldnt Agree with you more.
I am a 90% Acoustic player, and 10% electric, so I fully understand,
I WAY prefer the acoustic side of Tim, but if he decides to go on a
Accordian Tour, i will always go see him, cause a true musician can
learn from anything Tim does. Being a born gift to music as he is.
and i believe the acoustic side of him will shine once again soon enough...
-Joe

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2002 :  07:14:30 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Great minds think alike dirtysloth,(HEHE) wish you were gonna be in LA with the rest of us.

Hey Jamie M, as opposed to quoting your entire post, I just wanted to say that I really respect your attitude and remarks. I wish more people had your attitude. I was quite impressed with your comments. I love the way you laid out the difference between taste and appreciation. I understand exactly what you mean. I am not sure I put it so eloquently when I posted my message. Thanx for making my comments crystal clear. Again, great minds must think alike(HEHE).

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

rubylith
Fluffy-Esque

1915 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2002 :  3:54:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit rubylith's Homepage  Reply with Quote
ever notice...
much like police officers, most dave matthew fans look exactly alike,
that dorky frat boy, "kegger brah!" kinda stuff, kinda funny...but by seeing how they act and what they know about music, you can't take anything they believe seriously, they are just kids.

tim is incredible, he showed me not to play songs, but to just jam. I have become so much better by constenly improving, making a new song everytime I pick up the guitar. I wish popular music(mtv) and the sad individuals who listen to it, would have the slightest idea of how much amazing music is out there, and how fucked up it is that the majority of amazing musicians, songwriters in the world arent recognized for their talents.

blah blah blah...anyway...im glad tim is so humble, and that since most people havent heard of him, its easier to keep his music more pesonal.

man i rant a lot don't I? Music is too important to me to let any silly people base any opinion on something, before even (in this case) hearing it.

-Dave
Go to Top of Page

powdrdogdmb
Chatterbox

USA
131 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2002 :  07:44:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit powdrdogdmb's Homepage  Send powdrdogdmb an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I'm alum from a fraternity, and I guarantee you I know a hell of a lot about jamming with other musicians, music history, music theory, ad nauseum. You don't have to be in a "Frat" to throw a kegger or simply act like an ass. Try not to stereotype or be that guy that ASSumes everything. Jackasses come from every walk of life.
quote:
tim is incredible

Welcome aBOARD foolio! This is a very diverse board...but it does have some Unwritten rules...
http://www.timreynolds.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=971
Peace Be With
-WBB

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger" Nietzche
Go to Top of Page

genome
Fluffy-Esque

1098 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2002 :  08:48:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In my experience, powdrdogdmb, you are the exception to the Frat boy rule. I went to a college with what seemed like a majority Greek population. But in fact, this wasn't the case. We were only about 30% Greek. They just made such a presence for themselves that they took over the campus.

I only stereotype because that stereotype has been right SO many times in the past, for me personally. I still give people chances. If they screw up, however, I'm less forgiving than I would be if they weren't Greek. And I don't assume things. Like I said, I will give them a chance. You know how many frat boy friends I have? Zero. I gave them their chance and they acted an ass.

powdrdogdmb, I don't think you can honestly say that you don't think that lots and lots of your brothers are asses. And I know a lot of non-greek asses.

Ah hell I'm rambling, nevermind.

Go to Top of Page

rubylith
Fluffy-Esque

1915 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2002 :  09:40:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit rubylith's Homepage  Reply with Quote
hey yea don't worry im not about to start any kind of fued with anyone in a frat, lol, was mostly a joke, just because I went to a dave matthews concert, everyone looked the same, wearing like ambercrombie and fitch and stuff, and totally acting like a retarded jock who has a 1lb mass of shit in his head he believes is a brain.

hehe

but I totally agree, dont view the world through cliche's, live the world through youre own eyes.

-Dave
Go to Top of Page

powdrdogdmb
Chatterbox

USA
131 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2002 :  10:49:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit powdrdogdmb's Homepage  Send powdrdogdmb an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Like I said before:
quote:
Jackasses come from every walk of life.

I stand by that b/c my school had only about 3% of it's students out of about 25,000 in the gr. system, and I had tons of friends and acquantainces outside the system as a result. I went to many shows including Santana, TR and Dave, DMB, some smaller shows and the like with some very mixed crews, sometimes with "brothers," sometimes just with about everyone I knew, and I've seen every jerk from age 14-65 or so, male and female alike, screaming requests, and whatever other stupid comment they can think of. The fact is, when you go to a concert that charges 40,50,60 bucks a pop, you're going to get a lot of white preppy know-it-alls (tons of high school suburban-america kids these days as well) at that show b/c that's who is targetted by that ticket price period. I still love DMB, but I could care less who's wearing what Frat. shirt or what brand name is displayed, I'm there to see the band - but the majority of people that can afford the shows, let alone that can follow these bands, are those with mom and dad's gas card... It's like going into a club anywhere in America, every dude in the place has on an Armani Exchange banner across their chest, pretending to be stylish and what not - it doesn't mean they neccessarily have or do not have money or belong to fraternity (let alone go to college), but it's all part of the Rico-suave' game. It's too bad TIM is being advertised as the guitarist for DMB, b/c he just plain and simple is way beyond that, and I'd rather judge everybody on their actions before making presumptious statements - Just like TIM was being labelled as something he really is not.
Peace Be With
-WBB

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger" Nietzche
Go to Top of Page

genome
Fluffy-Esque

1098 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2002 :  12:45:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
I'd rather judge everybody on their actions before making presumptious statements

Ok then, I judge you by your actions, and you seem great to me.

Go to Top of Page

TimReynolds99
Is Anybody Here?

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2002 :  1:19:26 PM  Show Profile  Send TimReynolds99 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
TIm kicks ass either way it shouldnt matter if its acoustic or electric, he should go out and do his thing, ill admit i love what he does with dave, but tim is more creative then just playing to dave music. Everyone should like tims music because it is awesome

im looking to B+P shows of TIMs with letting go in the setlist
Go to Top of Page

Erich with an h
Yak Addict

USA
853 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2002 :  3:29:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Erich with an h's Homepage  Send Erich with an h an AOL message  Reply with Quote
surprised i havent responded to this yet.

Afronius - shut up.

thats all.

Erich w/ an h
Erichwanh@yahoo.com
The Tim Reynolds Tour and Recording Database
Go to Top of Page

chip616
Is Anybody Here?

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2002 :  08:53:27 AM  Show Profile  Send chip616 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Afronius, you are a fucking cock smooch pal. You obviously have no taste in music, and cannot appreciate the amount of talent and SOUL it takes to play tim's music. So I recommend shutting the fuck up until you can play those "butt-easy rock riffs". You piece of lousy shit.

All ya need is peace, love, and oreos
Go to Top of Page

j
Chatterbox

149 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2002 :  2:24:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit j's Homepage  Send j an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Once again, victims of a confirmation bias. The fact is that you all really like Tim Reynolds, so much so that he could sing "I bleed green butt-cheese" or "Hitler was right" and most of you would eat it up. There's nothing wrong with that, you are, after all, his fans, and that's what fans do. But I would hope that people would admit to it before being totally unreasonable and act like complete assholes. So someone doesn't like the kind of music you would swear to, who cares? If someone doesn't like Tim, or anything else for that matter, then they DO have taste in music, otherwise they'd listen to everything. Good music is subjective. So is bad music.

By the way, I think it's ironic that someone who says "you are a fucking cock smooch pal" or "You obviously have no taste in music" or "I recommend shutting the fuck up" or "You piece of lousy shit" would end what he has to say with "All ya need is peace, love, and oreos."

Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2002 :  8:15:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Yeah!!! Where do you get the fucking right to say that Oreos are essential to be happy in life?!?!?!?! What about Nutter Butters?

"I didn't think it was physically possible, but this both sucks and blows."
Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2002 :  9:04:00 PM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Once again, victims of a confirmation bias. The fact is that you all really like Tim Reynolds, so much so that he could sing "I bleed green butt-cheese" or "Hitler was right" and most of you would eat it up. There's nothing wrong with that, you are, after all, his fans, and that's what fans do. But I would hope that people would admit to it before being totally unreasonable and act like complete assholes. So someone doesn't like the kind of music you would swear to, who cares? If someone doesn't like Tim, or anything else for that matter, then they DO have taste in music, otherwise they'd listen to everything. Good music is subjective. So is bad music.

By the way, I think it's ironic that someone who says "you are a fucking cock smooch pal" or "You obviously have no taste in music" or "I recommend shutting the fuck up" or "You piece of lousy shit" would end what he has to say with "All ya need is peace, love, and oreos."

You are partially right, but what you have to understand is that this isn't necessarily a completely random spot. It is a place devoted to Tim Reynolds. So if someone comes here and says something that seems to be slanderous, to the fans, what do you expect? You can look down on people as much as you like, but there is also something called self-serving bias. And don't give me any "where did I say I was looking down?" kind of b.s., because it is painfully obvious that that is the tone you are taking.

I AGREE with you that there is something of a confirmation-bias when it comes to art... the exact same song released by Dave Matthews as opposed to John Mayer could be received completely differently by someone who is a DMB fan who hates John Mayer and vice-versa, and you said something to that effect... 'that's what fans do.' But when you mix logic with unbridaled stupidity, you get into trouble. When you put a group of people together with a common self-interest, YES, normative influence will take place... YES, you are going to see something of a groupthink bias... but we are not talking about the NASA disaster here, we're talking about a messageboard of guitar fans. You can say confirmation bias 1000 times, but there's more to it than just that. What would you like to discuss next that would be pertinent? Ingroup bias? Outgroup homogeneity effect? Belief perseverance? Group polarization? Pluralistic ignorance? Groupthink? High self-monitoring? Please just give us all a break from having to listen to your preaching. If you were as smart as you let on, you would have kept your mouth shut from the beginning because you would know what normal behavior is and what to expect based upon certain situational instances. Your acting shocked and appalled at the reactions of everyone here is evidence enough that you don't have the vast understanding of human behavior that you would like to portray through your online 'avatar.' So like I originally said... when someone comes to a Tim Reynolds website and goes on a Tim Reynolds messageboard inhabited by Tim Reynolds' biggest fans who all like to share and love Tim Reynolds together and are all looking forward to hearing Tim Reynolds play electric guitar in that Tim Reynolds kind of way... what kind of response is it that you would expect when some random noob comes in bashing Tim Reynolds and says the things that Afronius did?

I personally don't care if you go look up the meanings to the things I've said and act like you have some extensive background in human behavior that allows you to know what I'm talking about... so that you can come up with some kind of asinine rebuttal, but in the future, when you have something to say to denounce other people that you feel will make you sound smart, righteous, or dignified, make sure that you take a look at the big picture so that you don't end up making an ass out of yourself in the process, like you did here.
-Jeff

Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2002 :  9:23:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
You know....it's stuff like that that makes we wish that someTIMes I was a psyc major!

Go to Top of Page

j
Chatterbox

149 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2002 :  10:52:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit j's Homepage  Send j an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Well, you know, assume what you will, I can't help that--regardless if it's true or not. Your assumptions about tone and purpose maybe say slightly more about you than me. My intent was not that of some nomadic smartass, lurking around a message board and waiting for a good chance to superficially reassure his own insecurities. In other words, I wasn't masturbating.

All I wanted to say was that:
-good/bad music is subjective
-while there is nothing wrong with it, fans have a confirmation bias
-call someone on being an asshole; hey, if someone is an asshole and bashes Tim, people go crazy, yet if someone is an asshole but praises Tim, no problem.

That's all. That's it. I just disagreed and thought I'd say something. I'm not sure about all that other mess you said. I just disagreed.

Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2002 :  12:41:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:

You know....it's stuff like that that makes we wish that someTIMes I was a psyc major!

Since we're on a grammar kick tonight, I thought I'd bring the subjunctive mood to your attention. It's a dying form in American grammar, but it's fun to learn new things, right? If you had used it, you would have said, "You know....it's stuff like that that makes we wish that someTIMes I were a psyc major!"

Here is one guy's explanation:

English has many tenses and moods, one is the subjunctive. This is the mood of the hypothetical, not the actual. I am not a wild west hero, but perhaps I might want to be. I could say, “I wish I were a wild west hero”, and you would know that I am not talking about reality, but about a fantasy. Were I to say (I used the subjunctive there again - did you notice?), “I wish I was a wild west hero”, then this would mean something quite different. “I was” is the past tense. My statement would mean that my present wish is that at some time in the past I had been a wild west hero. Perhaps I am a wild west hero today, and am expressing the desire that this state of being be at an end. Here are some examples of the subjunctive tense:

ref: http://www.staff.ncl.ac.uk/nikolas.lloyd/opinion/badeng.html

This information actually comes in handy when you study foreign languages like French, Spanish, and German since their subjunctive tense is alive and well. I actually learned about the English subjunctive becuase I was trying to understand the Spanish one.

teri

Did I mention that I finished a marathon?
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2002 :  01:16:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Dammit! I should have gotten that! I guess not having a grammar class since sophomore year in high school might be the cause of that.

Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2002 :  01:33:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I didn't take any English grammar in college either. They had a day during freshman orientation that you could attempt to test out of Freshman English by writing an essay. They offered three questions, one of which was "Should marijuana be legalized?" I was going to write a paper that said no, but I couldn't come up with three points to support my thesis. I went the other way and was able to write a paper that was good enough to get the credit!

As I said, however, I did take Spanish. It was during these trials and tribulations that I inadvertently came to understand the subjunctive in English. I'm still not totally clear on it in Spanish. When I'm visiting my best friend in Puerto Rico I try to speak only in the present tense. It's so much easier.

teri

Did I mention that I finished a marathon?
Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2002 :  02:16:31 AM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
-good/bad music is subjective
-while there is nothing wrong with it, fans have a confirmation bias

Preaching to the choir.

quote:
-call someone on being an asshole; hey, if someone is an asshole and bashes Tim, people go crazy, yet if someone is an asshole but praises Tim, no problem.

Someone is fine... had you singled out Chip, that's one thing. He was being an asshole.

quote:
Once again, victims of a confirmation bias. The fact is that you all really like Tim Reynolds, so much so that he could sing "I bleed green butt-cheese" or "Hitler was right" and most of you would eat it up. There's nothing wrong with that, you are, after all, his fans, and that's what fans do. But I would hope that people would admit to it before being totally unreasonable and act like complete assholes.

... but making sweeping generalizations is not cool.
-J

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2002 :  5:07:17 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Teri said:
quote:
They had a day during freshman orientation that you could attempt to test out of Freshman English by writing an essay. They offered three questions, one of which was "Should marijuana be legalized?" I was going to write a paper that said no, but I couldn't come up with three points to support my thesis. I went the other way and was able to write a paper that was good enough to get the credit!
Amazing how that works, HUH? Even non-pot smokers, intelligent ones at that, can't make sense out of that silly nonsense. The YES arguments far outweigh the NO arguments.

Just a warning to Silky and J, this is starting to look like a "God Clarified..." conversation. Take it from me it is not worth it. Try to discuss with some people and you are just roasted for no good reason. Just trying to share some experience I gleened from my situation. Discuss or Drop it. When it turns to attacks it is TIMe to "LET IT GO" or "TURN IT TO LOVE" b4 it gets out of hand.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2002 :  5:35:04 PM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
We coo..

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000