Setup at Luther
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JTR
Chatterbox

417 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2002 :  12:04:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know the basics of what Tim and Dave had at Luther, but that setup on that album had a really great sound. I was wondering if it was just how it was recorded or anything special, because I'd love to make my guitar sound that nice.

dmballday
Is Anybody Here?

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2002 :  11:17:16 PM  Show Profile  Send dmballday an AOL message  Reply with Quote
they mixed mics and picups, that's all i know, and also cleaning it all up in a studio afterwards would help, doubling...adding..ya know

Go to Top of Page

chatterballs
Chatterbox

117 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2002 :  03:42:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fishman pickups, martin d-28 or d-35 for tim, some other martin for dave, not a dreadnought, an auditorium, probably. If they mixed mikes and pickups, they definitely used a blender, probably Fishman, usually gets best balance of sound.

--------------------
I once saw a movie where this bus had to keep its SPEED above 50 and if its SPEED dropped, it would explode...I think it was called, the bus that couldn't slow down.
Go to Top of Page

JTR
Chatterbox

417 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2002 :  10:04:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does Reynolds generally use a pick when he plays with Dave Matthews, or does he still fingerpick?
Go to Top of Page

j
Chatterbox

149 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2002 :  12:05:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit j's Homepage  Send j an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Actually Dave didn't play Martins until the '99 D+T tour, on the Luther album he played his Lakewood M-32, which is an auditorium guitar. I'm not sure if they used them during the time of Luther, but during the '99 tour they both ran their guitars through Countryman DI boxes, which are really nice pieces of equipment.

"Have a moderately neato day. May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house."
-G.C.
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2002 :  8:08:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Does Reynolds generally use a pick when he plays with Dave Matthews, or does he still fingerpick?

Well.......like a lot of his own stuff......it depends on the song. For example, on #41.....I think he fingerpicks because of the speed he uses. But on Dancing Nancies, he has to use a pick for that solo!

"I didn't think it was physically possible, but this both sucks and blows."
Go to Top of Page

chatterballs
Chatterbox

117 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2002 :  04:02:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, the nancies solo rules, I swear he does some fretboard tapping on it...it's sweet.

--------------------
I once saw a movie where this bus had to keep its SPEED above 50 and if its SPEED dropped, it would explode...I think it was called, the bus that couldn't slow down.
Go to Top of Page

chip616
Is Anybody Here?

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2002 :  11:39:52 AM  Show Profile  Send chip616 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I do agree that the acoustics on L@LC are absolutely amazing, but I couldnt help read someone's reply when they said they cleaned up the sound in the studio (completely true) and doubled and added??? Are you mad? This is a completely live album, there was no doubling and adding whatsoever.Awesome topic on my favorite album though.

later all

All ya need is peace, love, and oreos
Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2002 :  9:34:42 PM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
actually, i have the tab book. and there's a secton boxed off in the deed is done song and it's labeled "studio overdub"

get in the car, little girl.
Go to Top of Page

chip616
Is Anybody Here?

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2002 :  8:02:23 PM  Show Profile  Send chip616 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
no dude thats bullshit,im sorry

All ya need is peace, love, and oreos
Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2002 :  8:10:31 PM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
yeah, especially because it's the offical book that got rights to print the music. totally unreliable. or i could be lying. beacuse, you know, i have a lot to profit from lying about what the tab book says.

there's overdubs, sorry dude.

Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2002 :  04:02:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Yes........I'm sorry, I must also add my sad verification for that fact.........d'oh well.....

"I didn't think it was physically possible, but this both sucks and blows."
Go to Top of Page

neonbuzzz
Is Anybody Here?

6 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2002 :  10:12:38 AM  Show Profile  Send neonbuzzz an AOL message  Reply with Quote
i allways took it that in the L@LC book, studio overdub meant something that either Tim or Dave did in the studio verision of that song...that wasn't on the L@LC version. honestly..dave and tim are so amazing live...there would be no need to go in and put a fill in or double up something...absolutely not.

rain fell today..in transparent sheets of love..but i will not be drenched in you again.
Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2002 :  11:32:18 AM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
you'd think that, wouldn't you. i think the same thing, but i heard what was notated in the music. a little disappointing.

Go to Top of Page

Jay
Alien Abductee

Vatican City
2279 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2002 :  02:36:13 AM  Show Profile  Send Jay an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Dammit! Overdubs! Shit!

Sandy Carl get back in your home!

Jay
" It's a scavenger hunt in the best of times, a one armed man with a box of dimes. Throw the stick and let the bulldog roll." KJP
Go to Top of Page

NeverKillADream
Yak Addict

USA
652 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2002 :  12:08:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit NeverKillADream's Homepage  Send NeverKillADream an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I dont know for sure, but i am putting my money on that there are NO overdubs.

Using The Force Daily...
NeverKillADream@aol.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000