2128 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2002 :  12:46:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
anyone see that vh1 movie?

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." -Gandhi

BigEyedPhish
Is Anybody Here?

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2002 :  12:54:58 PM  Show Profile  Send BigEyedPhish an AOL message  Reply with Quote

nope... how is it??

Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2002 :  12:59:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
it was pretty good, i don't think the guy who played frank zappa was all that great in that role. It has some funny stuff from dee snider though. raises some good points in the movie.

Go to Top of Page

Saint Jude
Alien Abductee

USA
2144 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2002 :  3:01:34 PM  Show Profile  Send Saint Jude an AOL message  Reply with Quote
worst al gore look alike ever.

- Without you, without you everything falls apart
Without you, it's not as much fun to pick up the pieces.
Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2002 :  4:23:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
very true, although the part where he was practicing smiling in the mirror was typical al gore all the way.

Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2002 :  5:58:22 PM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
http://www.yourethemannowdog.com/

Go to Top of Page

Saint Jude
Alien Abductee

USA
2144 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2002 :  6:26:35 PM  Show Profile  Send Saint Jude an AOL message  Reply with Quote
hahaha, only if i had good editing skilz, i would turn that into a funkey beat driven song for the ages.

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2002 :  9:25:37 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I saw the last half of it. I thought it was pretty good. I love the actor who played Zappa but I agree his portrayal was sub-par. Zappa was such a dynamic and interesting person I think he played him a little to laid back. I lived in Washington during all of that and it was quite a different story here it DC. Big news locally. It was quite interesting and I followed it religiously being a topic so near and dear to my heart. The whole program seemed a little shallow but that is way the media portrays things. I understand they are trying to make it appeal to more people. If they went overboard they wouldn't get as large an audience. Sometimes for the sake of unbiasedness they tend to air to the side of safety. They didn't take alot of chances but I commend them for bringing the subject to the attention of a generation of people who barely remember music with out those pesky parental warnings.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

Saint Jude
Alien Abductee

USA
2144 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2002 :  04:14:16 AM  Show Profile  Send Saint Jude an AOL message  Reply with Quote
yeah, u could tell they didnt want to piss off the gores that much by making it out to be something tipper didnt want, or she lost control of... u could just tell they didnt want to cause any problems. well thats vh1 for ya

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2002 :  07:34:58 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
SAFE is a word that comes to mind!!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2002 :  10:47:11 AM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
That's why I hate movies that are "based on a true story." That just means that they are exploiting the people who's lives were actually involved and making a hollywood storybook version of the actual facts. Then people see the movies and take what they've seen as being exactly what happened. I wish that if moviemakers were going to make movies about true stories, they would make them true stories. Fuck being civil to the Gore's... why sugarcoat it? If they can't handle their own actions I say fuck em. Then again, I say fuck em anyway.
-J

Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2002 :  12:24:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah i could see vh1 trying to play the mediator and not making the gores look as bad as they actually are in real life. What horrific people!

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2002 :  08:37:18 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I actually wasn't talking about their portrayal of the Gores, although it was very nice to them. I was talking more about the overall issue. Censorship. I don't think they delved very deeply into a very complex issue. I think they just glazed over it to present the story of how we ended up with Parental Warning labels. I would like to see VH1 or MTV actually get controversial. They are so SAFE! Take a chance. I know it will never happen, what can you expect from a channel that censors language, logos, guns, pot leaves, etc etc etc etc. The reality of the situation is I think their censorship only makes them look stupid and wimpy. You can't tell me someone watching a SnoopDogg video doesn't already know about a pot leaf or a gun. It just seem kinda silly and like they are trying to appeal more to the parents of the kids watching that actually appealing to the kids. They don't want parents complaining so they homogenize everything. If parents are so worried about their kids seeing that kind of stuff they should stop and take the TIMe to talk to their kids about the things they watch and see on TV(the other infernal box). I am ranting again. Boy are my legs getting tired from climbing up on this soapbox.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

Saint Jude
Alien Abductee

USA
2144 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2002 :  12:34:17 PM  Show Profile  Send Saint Jude an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I hear ya fluff, parents need to take some fucking responsability and stop relying on the state to educate their kids. I mean school is one thing but u cant expect a kid to learn everything at a school. You need to tell them some things yourself... and i u dont want your kids to listen to Twisted Sister or whatever tell them that u dont aprove, (But i dont feel u should force them) because they should be able to make their own decisions. But fucking talk to them, jesus... stop relying on your uncle sam to talk to them.

Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2002 :  1:39:35 PM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Part of the reason so many kids are so fucked up these days is because they learn more from TV than from their parents. I am very thankful that I was born before this next generation, because they are frankly a bunch of sissies. As Carlin put it... it's the pussification of America.
-J

Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2002 :  2:19:12 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I was born before this generation too. Luckily. But hell, it wouldn't have mattered anyway: all the channels we had growing up were ABC (not THAT bad, but come on, no Simpsons, South Park, Spongebob, Ren & Stimpy...damn, those are all cartoons...) and PBS. So when I watched TV I generally watched PBS (except on Friday nights)...and I consider myself a better person for it. I used to piss and moan about not having cable; now I think I might not bother having it when I'm in a position to decide.

-what-
Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2002 :  4:49:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
actually i've been heavily considering whenever i end up raising a family and my own kids and shit not to have a tv in the house. It may sound like a very "strict" idea here, but hear me out. Like i want my kids to learn some trade or hobbie or something they really enjoy doing, but get em started at an early age.(i.e. music or acting art, something like that) i don't know, i just want you know kids to be exposed to mroe cultural things than staring at the idiot box all day. stepping gracefully off the ol' soapbox now.

Go to Top of Page

LizT
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1687 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2002 :  7:05:10 PM  Show Profile  Send LizT an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
actually i've been heavily considering whenever i end up raising a family and my own kids and shit not to have a tv in the house.

Being a parent myself, I don't think that's a good idea. In my opinion if you shelter your children from the world it just make them more curious and so on. Then you are setting yourself up for trouble. It's very similar to taking music away. I allow my kids to listen to what ever they like and I think they have turned out pretty darn good! Limiting TIMe watching TV is a better compromise. Parenting is all about loving,listening, communicating( everyday), caring,trust, compromising, teaching good values, and about letting go and encouraging independence(that's the hard part).

I always try to remind myself that I was their age once....

Go to Top of Page

powdrdogdmb
Chatterbox

USA
131 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2002 :  7:29:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit powdrdogdmb's Homepage  Send powdrdogdmb an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I would love for you to relay that whole independence spiel to my parents... I have to say that my parents come from the "old-school" on the letting go side of things, I think if they had their way, I would still be living at home, and I can't bear the thought. The TV can be a useful tool as well in showing kids something new, so I respectfully disagree with taking it away. I remember watching Big bird go to China and then I wanted to see the Great Wall afterwards, and even the Simpsons have political humor and jokes in their episodes that you can't understand unless you pick up the news once in a while... TV isn't the enemy, it's pop-culture injected sitcoms and that crap that parents need to watch out for, so watching TV isn't a bad thing as long as it's not 3 hours staight of BH90210 reruns right into another thrilling hour of the next spinoff or reality TV show showing kids it's okay to cheat, lie, and go behind someone's back.
Peace Be With
-WBB

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger" Nietzche
Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2002 :  8:37:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah, i can see your opinions on this subject. Like there are some values that come along with having it, and there is the sheltering part, but i still don't think there is a need for a tv, when there's newspapers, computers, various music or such. Part of this is also that my distant cousin has been doing the same with their child and trying all these dif. things with him and already he's able to skip a couple grades in school, he could communicate to them at a very early age in sign language(his mother teaches sign at the school she works for) and he's the greatest little person in the world. he may be a little sheltered, this is true, but once he gets going to friend's houses or out in the world, he'd be fine off. but i see def. from a real perspective that it may not be too realistic.

Go to Top of Page

genome
Fluffy-Esque

1098 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2002 :  9:06:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When the kid starts making his own choices about what to do, he will not stay with his parents. I mean, in early jr hi, he will be spending nights over elsewhere just so he can watch tv. He will never enjoy his parents house again, because he will see that there's nothing to do there. And when he gets in college...well just ask my parents what its like.

No tv is rough on a kid. Good for them, if it's treated right and associated with other kinds of stimuli, but not good by itself. And I think it's almost necessary in order to have a decent relation ship with the kid. That's what I think. And I'm right.

Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2002 :  9:12:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i think he'll turn out fine, he won't hate his parents or shit like that. he'll just be dif. then the populus of society, with an advantage i think.

Go to Top of Page

LizT
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1687 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2002 :  10:36:17 PM  Show Profile  Send LizT an AOL message  Reply with Quote
TV isn't all that bad. I'll share a story with you. My oldest child is 19. I read to him everyday and that was the only TIMe he sat still. He also loved the program sesame street too. Between reading to him and sesame street he was independently reading when he was 3 and a half years old with comprehension! It really blew his pediatrician's mind and thought I should get his IQ tested. I declined and said just let him be a kid and have fun! Well, he started kindergarten reading and writing complete sentences. My son wrote on the chalk board "I want to go home" and the teacher was blown away, to say the least. He really didn't want to go home, LOL! I guess I'm saying the TIMe spent with your children is the most important thing, but TV can also enhance learning. He was very lucky to take college math and english in high school and graduated with 26 college credits. By the way, he is just finishing his first year in college and has enough credits to be a junior in the fall. I'm extremely proud of him. And.... he still watches TV!

Go to Top of Page

genome
Fluffy-Esque

1098 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2002 :  12:36:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LizK, you sound like absolutely one HELL of a mom. Good for you.

Go to Top of Page

Saint Jude
Alien Abductee

USA
2144 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2002 :  3:23:04 PM  Show Profile  Send Saint Jude an AOL message  Reply with Quote
wow, smart kid. what is he thinking of going into?

Go to Top of Page

Saint Jude
Alien Abductee

USA
2144 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2002 :  3:35:08 PM  Show Profile  Send Saint Jude an AOL message  Reply with Quote
heh, i say kid like i am older then him, but rather its the other way arround... doesnt that bug you when someone younger then u calls you kid... it does me.

Go to Top of Page

LizT
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1687 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2002 :  10:32:56 PM  Show Profile  Send LizT an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
LizK, you sound like absolutely one HELL of a mom. Good for you.

Thanks so much genome. I try......

Go to Top of Page

LizT
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1687 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2002 :  10:36:52 PM  Show Profile  Send LizT an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
wow, smart kid. what is he thinking of going into?

Saint Jude he already has plans. He's taking political science and government. Hopefully you will see him make some positive changes that this country so desperately needs. By the way, I had nothing to do with his career goals. This is something he decided on his own!

Go to Top of Page

Saint Jude
Alien Abductee

USA
2144 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2002 :  10:37:40 PM  Show Profile  Send Saint Jude an AOL message  Reply with Quote
ku, yeah he should get rid of all those damn boy bands.... can he do that.

Go to Top of Page

LizT
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1687 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2002 :  10:43:20 PM  Show Profile  Send LizT an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Speaking of my son, he did a project in 7th grade about censorship in music. He wrote to Tipper Gore and got a response. I'll have to find the letter someTIMe.

Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2002 :  11:35:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Speaking of my son, he did a project in 7th grade about censorship in music. He wrote to Tipper Gore and got a response. I'll have to find the letter someTIMe.

Fluffy used to refer to Tipper Gore on his answering machine greeting. Hopefully he'll post about that since it totally fits in this thread.

teri

Did I mention that I finished a marathon?
Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2002 :  11:42:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:

TV isn't all that bad. I'll share a story with you. My oldest child is 19. I read to him everyday and that was the only TIMe he sat still. He also loved the program sesame street too. Between reading to him and sesame street he was independently reading when he was 3 and a half years old with comprehension!

I agree that Liz sounds like a great mom!

I see two key points in her post:
a) she sat down with her son and read to/with him
b) she monitored her son's TV viewing

I think those are the two that a lot of parents just don't do anymore.

I have some friends whose son was only allowed have the TV on for one hour per day (including video games) and that also worked out very well. He didn't get dependent on TV for entertainment, so he became an avid reader and a pretty creative kid.

teri

Did I mention that I finished a marathon?
Go to Top of Page

LizT
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1687 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2002 :  3:33:53 PM  Show Profile  Send LizT an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thank you so much Teri.

Go to Top of Page

revrendmaynard14
Chatterbox

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2002 :  03:09:36 AM  Show Profile  Send revrendmaynard14 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
These days TV is pretty pointless...most of it is just lies and violence, definetly not something I'd let my kids (if I had kids)watch. And the so called music they play is not music in my book. I'd rather sit down and learn something on guitar then watch hip hoppers, or listen to gossip.

Dark Clouds May Hang On Me Sometimes But I'll Work It Out.
Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2002 :  08:55:41 AM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
That font is the hardest damn thing to read in the world.

-what-
Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2002 :  3:34:27 PM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yes it really is...
-J

Go to Top of Page

Evergreen
Yak Addict

960 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2002 :  3:56:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Liz said:
quote:
He's taking political science and government. Hopefully you will see him make some positive changes that this country so desperately needs.

Smart like his mom! There are way too many people in this country who sit around and bitch about the system, yet have no desire to get involved enough to make a change. Rather than expend the energy and get involved to make a positive change, people stand by, put up with it, and BITCH about it. Trying to create some sort of uprising while content to sit back and really do nothing but spew at the mouth. Hopefully, one day people like your son will evolve into the political decision making positions. And the old, closed minded, politicians and people who bitch about it die off.

Go to Top of Page

Evergreen
Yak Addict

960 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2002 :  4:03:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Liz did your son mention Frank Zappa when he did his paper on musical censorship. I'd call Frank the poster child of that topic. Although, it happened in the 60's and 70's so he may not have picked up on it. But have him do a little research on what happened to Frank and our freedom of musical and artistic expression at the hands of our government. To the point of him not being allowed to be in the rock and roll hall of fame, when he blows anyone in that place away! (this is an opinion of course but a really strong one). It's the reason I have no respect for the r&r hall of fame and I simply refuse to capitalize it...HeeHee! Don't mess with Frank!!!!! Anyway I think your son would be really interested in that story. Pick up Frank's autobiography, it's in that!

Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2002 :  6:16:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Yes it really is...

God damn......

"I didn't think it was physically possible, but this both sucks and blows."
Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2002 :  7:21:12 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I don't get it pcbdmb....? Apparently you don't agree? I can hardly make those words out at all. Guess I'm gettin' old.

-what-
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2002 :  3:46:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Oh...I was just adding to the fact that it's hard to read......because the only words that I could think of when reading that scribble was "God damn"

"I didn't think it was physically possible, but this both sucks and blows."
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2002 :  09:32:42 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Fluffys old answering machine message:

Hi, this is Fluffy. I hate censorship so please do not censor yourself and leave me a message. I hate all forms of censorship, especially censorship of music, in fact, Tipper Gore can kiss my "BEEP"!!!!!!

It took me a number of attempts to get the beep to happen as if I was being censored so it would seem authentic. I had that message for like 3 or 4 years. It drove my friends nuts. They all liked it at first but after the 200th time they were like "Fluffy, change that fucking message!!" In fact, that was the most left message on my machine. HEHE

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

LizT
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1687 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2002 :  10:58:18 PM  Show Profile  Send LizT an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Fluffy, I must look for the letter from Tipper Gore. I think it will amuse you.

Evergreen, he definitely included Frank Zappa in his project.

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2002 :  07:34:56 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I would love to see it Liz.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

LizT
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1687 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2002 :  10:02:35 PM  Show Profile  Send LizT an AOL message  Reply with Quote
My son just got home from college yesterday for the summer. It's TIMe to do a major spring cleaning in his room, so when I find it Fluffy I'll be sure to copy it for you.

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2002 :  02:55:37 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Kewlio, THANX!! Looking forward to it.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2002 :  12:30:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i think i read that autobiography of frank zappa. i surely cannot remember that part aboot the letter from tippur though, i'm sure it's in there, i just must've skimmed that part or something. it was a very very good read, especially the chapter entitlted "how i almost blew my nuts off"

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000