02/16/06 Des Moines Iowa Show
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2006 :  3:10:18 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I called the hotel where this show is. Tickets to this show can be purchased at http://www.iowatix.com. Not sure if anyone else will be going, but I'll be there!!

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2006 :  10:42:02 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
So, am I the only one going to this show?
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2006 :  11:01:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know two people who live anywhere near or in Iowa. You are one of them.

The other isn't too much into TR unfortunately.

Steve Hackett: "I'm my own opening act, you see."
Tim (before "Faceoff"): "Peace, love....and SEX!"
cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2006 :  11:20:49 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Yeah...I was thinking that I was the only one on here that would be there. Hopefully there's a decent turnout, and it's a good crowd. I need to try to see Tim in a bigger town next tour.
Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2006 :  12:23:51 AM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I've seen a few messages on TR's Myspace from peeps going to that show.

god
Kevin
Go to Top of Page

dialect
Try A Little Harder

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2006 :  01:52:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit dialect's Homepage  Send dialect an AOL message  Reply with Quote
some guy from the dmbtabs board (mlb1399) is going to the iowa show and taping it as well...

Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2006 :  11:07:11 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Good to hear. I'd love to be able to get a copy. I'm on that board sometimes so I'll have to get in touch with him.
Go to Top of Page

lucasiowa
Is Anybody Here?

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2006 :  09:31:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tonights show in Des Moines is my first Tim show, what can I expect.
Go to Top of Page

Robin
Yak Addict

USA
598 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2006 :  12:23:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Expect the unexpected, or better yet don't expect at all. But you'll prolly be amazed and have a whole new meaning for the word "awe". It'll be all acoustic, Enjoy! And anyone from here going,have a great TIMe! (a review would be most appreciated)Peace, Robin
Go to Top of Page

mlb1399
Is Anybody Here?

14 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2006 :  2:02:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hopefully, I will be able to video record this show for everyone. I am running into a lot of obstacles with the Hilton Garden Inn. They told me last week that I could tape the concert. Then when I call this week to see if I can plug into an electrical outlet they tell me I can't.

They said they need to speak to Tim's agent to get approval even though I have offered to provide them the link on this site that show's Tim allows it. I have been trying for 4 days to get a response out of them and not only are they not getting an answer they are not returning calls. At this point I feel like I am harassing them. Since I am borrowing the cam corder I need to know in advance to bring it to the show as I will not have time to drive it back home before the show.

Wouldn't you think 4 days would be enough to contact tim's management to get approval?
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2006 :  2:36:35 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hey lucasiowa, Here is a review of TR's last performance. This should give you a pretty good idea of what the show will be like. Drive SAFE! See ya tonite!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2006 :  2:38:31 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hey mlb1399, make sure you bring your camera. When you get here if they need approval you can have them find me and I will tell them it's ok with us if you video tape. Of course you must follow their rules about where to set up and such. It's not free reign!! LOL See ya tonite.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson
Go to Top of Page

mlb1399
Is Anybody Here?

14 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2006 :  4:42:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any chance I can get in early and set up fluffy?

And any chance for you to call them and straighten things up?

515-270-8890
banquets

Thanks for all of your help.
Go to Top of Page

jsemon2
Yak Addict

USA
920 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2006 :  12:41:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit jsemon2's Homepage  Send jsemon2 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
looks like everything turned out ok for the video taper.

he said the soundboard audio is coming our way!!!! so lets hope that comes through sometime next week like the person said. :)

any help on a setlist fluffy would be AWESOME!!

OUT FOR LUNCH
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2006 :  04:14:51 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Well I am happy to post the setlist as it was printed but as I am sure Guitar Guy will attest, the set barely followed this outline. In fact, I asked TR as I walked him back to his room "Is this the setlist?" and his answer, "More or less!" with a snicker. HEHE I think the most accurate setlist will be from listening to the recording. So ya know, the show was awesome(surprise surprise) The electric songs translated very well to the acoustic format TR has chosen. It's pretty much his usual setup with the addition of the Ring Modulator worked into the normal setup for the six-string. Tonite was sold out as is tomorrow nite. Looks like a great start ot the TouR despite the forces of nature trying to hamper our progress. Have you seen the weather for this part of the country? BOY Howdee!! For better or worse, here is the setlist as it was printed:

Wandering Juice Spatter
Che
In Your Eyes
Indoctrinate
Torch Bits
From this World
Mandala of the Wrathful Dieties
-------------------------------
Arroyo*
Hold On, I'm Comin*(Sam & Dave song written by Isaac Hayes)
Mercury Pt One
Stream*
You Don't Know*-Achilles Balls
-------------------------------
Intrapsychic Libidinous Fixations
Hug*
Betrayal
Samantabhadra*
Sinceritox
Vantage
Doom*
Cold Sweat*(James Brown I think)
Dreaming-Roundabout Out
--------------------------------
Whole Lotta Hooker
Levee Breaks
All You Need
Mercury Pt 2 Pulsar

So there it is......Don't know how much of it actually made it, only the tape will tell. Guess thats what they mean by "Tale of the Tape" hehe

(NOTE: "*" means I know TR played it but the order looks really wonky to me)

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2006 :  08:10:01 AM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
when the levee breaks is one of my alltime favorite songs. wow.

I can't wait until Dayton and Athens... that setlist is tight

Tim Reynolds Downloads
I am not the albatross of love, I am the human ellipsis. I am dot dot dot. - Leo Kottke

I hate beating people over the head with anything. We can all make up our own minds. What we don’t have is enough music. More music please. - Leo Kottke
Go to Top of Page

lucasiowa
Is Anybody Here?

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2006 :  09:25:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the review Fluffy, last nights show was my first Tim show without Dave. Great Show!!!

mlb1399, I think I spoke to you and gave you my biz card with email address, was that you?
Go to Top of Page

mlb1399
Is Anybody Here?

14 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2006 :  10:34:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Adam???

If so then yes.

Fluffy hooked me up with the promoter so I will be getting soundboard audio along with the video footage. John II will be authoring the dvd from ants and as soon as we get this DVD done I will post BnP offers on here, dmbtabs and see if John can offer one on ants.

The show was great. I was disappointed with all the idiots in the back chatting the whole show.
Go to Top of Page

jsemon2
Yak Addict

USA
920 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2006 :  10:56:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit jsemon2's Homepage  Send jsemon2 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
hey fluffy, can you email me the high res pic from the show? that would be awesome, i will post them on here to if you want

OUT FOR LUNCH
Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2006 :  11:12:10 AM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
It was a great show. I agree that the setlist above doesn't look exactly like what was played, but we will have to wait for the audio/video from the show to fine tune the set. The "Hold on, I'm coming" cover was amazing.

It was great meeting Fluffy, Tim, and Tim Rew. I wish I could have hung out more and chatted, but we had a long slippery drive back to Cedar Rapids to look forward to, and I wanted to get that over with. The roads weren't too bad for us, and I hope they weren't too bad for the guys traveling to Chicago.

I'd love to get it on that vid/DVD when it's available. Will the DSBD audio be available stand-alone too?
Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2006 :  11:33:19 AM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mlb1399
The show was great. I was disappointed with all the idiots in the back chatting the whole show.

The thing that was even more disappointing is that they appeared to be there with, or to see, Jerry Lorensen. I saw one of the guys that was tearing down his stuff on stage after his set, in the back talking with all those people, which is why I assume this. I thought his music was okay, and my wife and I were actually thinking about buying a CD of his, or Town Crier, or whatever his band is called. But once his "crew" was being so disrespectful of Tim, that idea went out the window and I decided to save my money to pick up See Into Your Soul (the only TR album I had yet to own).

The girl at the table we were at apparently went and asked Tim, or asked someone to ask Tim, to say something to everyone about all the talking, which he did. The room got really quiet for a while after that, but it started up again a bit later.

The other thing I thought was funny was Jerry's story about not knowing any of Tim's music, but knowing the song You Are My Sanity. And if I'm not mistaken, he went on to say how he was "rocking out" to it and that it's nice that Tim plays rock and roll. I have a feeling that he doesn't really know the song...since it really isn't a "rock" song.

Go to Top of Page

Robin
Yak Addict

USA
598 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2006 :  2:09:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the "setlist" Fluffy! A Sam and Dave tune too, how kewl. I hope all is well. I did see the weather and I'm keeping a good thought for you guys, safe travels! As side note, it's snowing like crazy right now here in the Santa Cruz mountains. Peace,and have a great show to anyone who's going tonite.
Go to Top of Page

mlb1399
Is Anybody Here?

14 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2006 :  2:50:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Being that I set up early, I got a chance to talk, drink and have a smoke with Jerry and I can say I think he is pretty cool person. I'm assuming the promoter was looking for some local Iowa talent to throw on the bill with Tim regardless of how well they knew Tim or if their style of music was even close. I was talking guitar talk with him and he was definitely aware of Tim's ability just didn't know a lot of his songs.

Not to make excuses for his road crew either but they were all young guys that didn't really look like they did that for a living and didn't know any better.

I agree about that story being kind of weird. Instead of trying to wing it he could have just said something basic like: I would like to thank TR for the chance to play.

I didn't realize most of those people there were for Jerry and not Tim. I was also getting annoyed with that guy yelling Timmy like he was talking to Timmy from South Park.

My overall experience was pretty good. That was my first Tim Reynold's show and I'll admit I'm not as familiar with his work as I should be. As a guitar player, I can appreciate his talent and his ability to absolutely shread a guitar and come up with some truly unique sounds. I thought Tim was very entertaining and funny and a great stage presence. I'm sure I missed some things because I was trying to make sure and not screw up the recording but hopefully when the DVD comes out I can enjoy it again.

I thought Tim handled everything pretty cool. Didn't get upset about the guy messing with the lights, the constant chattering and some of the people yelling things.
Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2006 :  9:48:13 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Yeah I noticed that it seemed like a lot of people were there for Jerry and not Tim too. I thought it was kind of strange, but I guess he's local talent, so a lot of local people are going to come out for that.

The "Timmah" yelling bothered me too, but I was remembering the Iowa City show from 2000 at the Union Bar where it was 500% worse. Fluffy said that the Iowa City show was the 2nd worst crowd he has ever seen, and this show was worlds better. I think at any TR show you are going to have a handful of "Timmy!"'s and "Stream!!"'s.

I was wondering if Tim was even really very aware of the chatter in the back. When he said something about it and asked people to quiet down, due to that girl's request, the way he said it was almost as if he didn't know why he was saying it.
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2006 :  11:40:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the reviews guys!

I think most shows have some people who are disrespectful to the artist. Law of averages I guess. I find more and more that in this day of political correctness (which I think is bullshit) we have lost common manners. People feel they can act however they want whenever they want. It's all about "self". One can only hope there are less of these people when TR plays.

I guess going to see TR is like going on vacation. If you go with the attitude that you are going to have a great TIMe regardless of whatever happens, you will. From what I read, it sounds like you all did just that.

I think it is so cool that the show was recorded.

I also think it would be very cool if TR would dedicate Levee Breaks to Keith Francis at one of his shows. Any chance of that Fluffy?

"It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!"Friedrich Nietzsche
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2006 :  5:52:44 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Nothing will ever be as bad as that Iowa City show. LOL

Guess I shouldn't jinx us and say that. LOL

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2006 :  6:07:26 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fluffy

Nothing will ever be as bad as that Iowa City show. LOL

Guess I shouldn't jinx us and say that. LOL

I have to agree. There are crowds like that at shows all the time around here. I don't know what it is. I always have a better time when I drive 2+ hours to a show than I do at a show 15-45 minutes away. I think getting outside Iowa is the first factor there. There is nothing to do here, so people go to concerts/shows they wouldn't otherwise go to, just because it's something to do and a place to drink and get stupid. As time goes on, I hate this place more and more and I'm getting the itch to move. Probably to the Chicago area.

Again, I'm glad the show in Des Moines/Johnston was a better crowd. Hopefully Iowa isn't as tainted in your minds anymore.
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2006 :  02:39:35 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
LOL, we actually never held it against Iowa, only that venue. hehe Iowa treated us pretty damn good this TIMe around! THANX IOWA!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2006 :  12:28:35 AM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
In Your Eyes on this show is amazingly beautiful.

Tim Reynolds Downloads
I am not the albatross of love, I am the human ellipsis. I am dot dot dot. - Leo Kottke

I hate beating people over the head with anything. We can all make up our own minds. What we don’t have is enough music. More music please. - Leo Kottke
Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2006 :  01:49:24 AM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Ok I need to confirm a few things with Fluffy, and then Erich. Otherwise, this show is ready for me to upload to the archive.

First, please check your copy and see if the last thing played was a classical tune. On my copy, there is none of this stuff:
quote:
Dreaming-Roundabout Out
--------------------------------
Whole Lotta Hooker
Levee Breaks
All You Need
Mercury Pt 2 Pulsar
the recording seems complete, however, so I'm guessing this stuff just wasn't played. I'll wait for your confirmation that this is complete before I upload it. The last song appears to be Cold Sweat > classical tune. Rew is on the end of the track, so I know the classical tune was last. In fact, based on the recording, I don't see how it's NOT complete, so I have to guess the stuff listed above just wasn't played.

The rest of the show was surprisingly close to the setlist Fluffy printed... at least much much closer than originally thought:
Des Moines, Iowa

Source: DSBD -> Wav -> EAC -> Tracked in Audacity v1.2.3 -> FLAC16 
by JM 
Taper: Soundman (thanks!)

Track |			Name                 	     |	Time  |
---------------------------------------------------------------
 t01 	Speaking Intro
 t02	"Wandering Juice Spatter"			
 t03 	Che
 t04	Delicate Balance	
 t05	In Your Eyes (1)
 t06	Indoctrinate >
 t07	Who Knows (2)
 t08	Torch Of Uncertainty
 t09	From This World
 t10	"Mandala of the Wrathful Dieties"
 t11	Arroyo
 t12	Hold On I'm Coming (3)
 t13	Mercury Direct Part 1
 t14	Stream > [something] > Stream >
 t15	You Don't Know
 t16	"Intrapsychic Libidinous Fixations"
 t17	Hug*
 t18	Betrayal*
 t19	Samantabhadra
 t20	Sinceritox
 t21	Vantage Point
 t22	Doom
 t23	Cold Sweat (4)
 t24	[classical tune]

(1) Peter Gabriel
(2) Jimi Hendrix (loose cover)
(3) Sam & Dave (Written by Isaac Hayes)
*recording was cut at this point, a very tiny part of Betrayal was 
lost.
(4) James Brown

Tim Reynolds Downloads

Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2006 :  3:07:26 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I know you'll wait for Fluffy's final word, but I wanted to put in my 2 cents and say that I don't remember hearing Levee or All You Need. So I think that you are right and those songs were just not played.
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2006 :  9:19:48 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
yep, that should be it Jason. Keep in mind, it was the first show of the TouR so TR probably had more songs on there just in case he needed to fill more TIMe. He hadn't established yet how many songs he would need to fill his TIMe slot. Anyway, yours is the same as mine so upload away! Thanx for all your work on tracking that.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

jsemon2
Yak Addict

USA
920 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2006 :  01:55:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit jsemon2's Homepage  Send jsemon2 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
anyone take pictures from this show?

OUT FOR LUNCH
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2006 :  2:34:57 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I got some pics from this show. Not alot, but a few.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2006 :  4:05:54 PM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Nice work Jason! Thanks for all of the reviews, setlists, and for everyone's work on the recordings. Sounds like itwas a nice kickoff to a great tour.

god
Kevin
Go to Top of Page

jsemon2
Yak Addict

USA
920 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2006 :  8:21:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit jsemon2's Homepage  Send jsemon2 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
just about done fluffy, just need them pics :)

send them my way. john@johnsemon.com

thanks

OUT FOR LUNCH
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000