Best Acoustic Album
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

joecrash
Is Anybody Here?

6 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2002 :  03:10:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have just recently been introduced to Tim Reynolds and was hoping for some advice. What acoustic album is his best and what do those of you who know his music recommend someone buy? I like his song stream and I would like to get an album that has songs much like that. Thanks for your help!

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2002 :  04:14:26 AM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I would suggest you pick up nomadic wavelength as your first. But really, It's not like TR has any bad albums... anything you get will be amazing. Try doing a topic search for "album" or something... we have had tons of detailed posts on this topic.

And "Welcome aBOARD" (I guess this has become the official greeting!)

Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2002 :  05:33:46 AM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Welcome foolio... not to take anything away from his album sales... but I like his live shows best. Try the 2000 Wetlands show on the FTP.
-J

Go to Top of Page

rubylith
Fluffy-Esque

1915 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2002 :  07:10:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit rubylith's Homepage  Reply with Quote
thats funny, the 2000 wetlands show is my favorite from 2000. It was when some of the songs on Nomadic Wavelenth were just written, I think anyway, lol. My band played at there very last show at Wetlands back in September, we played with Fishbone. It wasn't planned to be the last show but because of Sept. 11 they just called it quits then. Wild time, check out my bands site www.Futureboyhq.com

is the Ftp still down?

-Dave
Go to Top of Page

Jamie M
Chatterbox

Canada
404 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2002 :  5:50:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Joecrash, I suggest that you get at least two albums. If you're only getting one I think I'd suggest Nomadic just because See Into Your Soul is only half acoustic guitar. But get those two if you get two, and if you get 3 then also get Gossip of the Neurons.

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2002 :  11:32:24 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
My vote goes in this order:

Nomadic Wavelength
Gossip of the Neurons
See Into Your Soul
Stream

They are all great albums and you can't go wrong with anyone of them. It depends more on what kind of acoustic album you are looking for. They are all very different even thought they are all 4 acoustic. I guess Nomadic and Stream are the most similar. But still I think you should have them all. They are all worth a listen. Let us know what you decide and what you think of your choice or choices.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2002 :  3:27:58 PM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
i'd say nomadic wavelength, see into your soul, stream, gossip of neurons. i love nomadic wavelength. to the max.

when you think about it, mud is just wet dirt.
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2002 :  08:08:29 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Plus, the cover on Nomadic Wavelength is just SOOOOOO AWESOME!!! HEHE

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2002 :  12:08:37 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Why Thank you Patrick, You are man WISE beyond your years!!!

Or maybe just a kiss ass brown-noser!! HEHE I prefer to believe its the former.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2002 :  12:58:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Too bad the latter is true!.............ow

"You tried your best and you failed miserably...the lesson is: Never Try."
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2002 :  03:31:05 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
DOAH!! D'OH!! D-OH!! You deserved that, hehe!!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

FeelingDoors
Is Anybody Here?

USA
49 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2002 :  12:11:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think that despite the great music on the albms, the best acoustic music comes from his live shows. Tim does a lot more improv, it's cool. I would suggest getting a burner and downloading the shows once the FTP is back up and running.

Still Strumming,
Will
Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2002 :  12:22:47 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Or propisition someone here for a B&P.

-Jason-

I am a servant of the power behind the nothing.
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2002 :  7:26:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
D'OH!

"I do what I can with what I've got."
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2002 :  3:56:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now now now!

I am quite, dissapointed that Stream is rated as one of the lowest. In pure technical skill alone Stream beats all of those previously mentioned CDs. Listen to the track "Reliable Sources" and try to pick out another song that can top that crazy mofo. Plus it has the original "You are my Sanity", "Stream", "Letting Go", "Smile", and "Turn it into Love". That is some of Tim's best acoustic work, and I think everyone should take another listen to the CD. My favorite track is "Century Sister" as it sounds like a Charlie Brown "Peanuts" song, also "Offspring" is a really mellow groovy tune. So just take another listen.

And I am not bad mouthing other Tim CDs, I love Nomadic, Soul, and Gossip, but Stream is classic Tim Reynolds.

I haven't posted in a long time. Lot of new people. Does anyone remember the old board?

"Don't drink the pickle juice from the pickle jar, until all the pickles are gone."
-Son of a Boss
Arthenc@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

Jamie M
Chatterbox

Canada
404 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2002 :  4:31:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
True, I don't think anyone here is saying that Stream is bad. It's a great CD. To me, the only thing is that there are few outstanding songs on the CD, at least after listening to it many times. But Nomadic has so many songs, so much variety, and a few songs that I just can't get enough of. It probably has more of the songs I listened to when I started getting into Tim, along with the acoustic songs on See Into Your Soul, so that's what I like about them.
Yeah, there's great songs on Stream, but what about Is Anybody Here, Hopeful Heresy, Jemez, Rheginos, Entity, Feeling Doors, Stranger in a Strained Land, Los Alamos, Try a Little Harder.
Not to mention Gossip of the Neurons, an amazing CD.

Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2002 :  12:17:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will concede that, without speaking ill of any Tim songs, there are some songs on Stream that one cannot listen to more than a few times. But I cannot listen to analyze that many times, or Dissident that often. And they are a few off of See Into Your Soul that I have some trouble getting through, mainly anything but the acoustic pieces, granted those songs are some of his better acoustic music.
And on the subject of Gossip of the Neurons! I would like to say it is time to release a new live album, as GOTN, is my second favorite album simply because Dew Drops, Bonfire, Blast, Time, Breathing, and ATTDS, are all great songs.

"Don't drink the pickle juice from the pickle jar, until all the pickles are gone."
-Son of a Boss
Arthenc@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2002 :  12:23:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I also forgot about one more element that makes Nomadic Wavelength worthy! Eura's song!

-Son of a Boss
Arthenc@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

Jamie M
Chatterbox

Canada
404 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2002 :  9:44:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I will concede that, without speaking ill of any Tim songs, there are some songs on Stream that one cannot listen to more than a few times.

Hahaha, Stream is actually the TR album I feel the least that way about.(Did that make any sense?)
quote:
But I cannot listen to analyze that many times, or Dissident that often. And they are a few off of See Into Your Soul that I have some trouble getting through, mainly anything but the acoustic pieces, granted those songs are some of his better acoustic music.

I basically feel the same way about SIYS, but not as much as I used to. I won't put the album on to listen to Direct to Disc or Singular Obsession, but I will put in the CD and press play, and not worry about getting up to change the song. I think the acoustics on that album are consistently the best of any album.
Funny, you say that about Analyze, there's one part in that song that's stuck in my brain and I love it. It's that part on the low D that goes:
D-0-0-3-3-0-0-

Go to Top of Page

FeelingDoors
Is Anybody Here?

USA
49 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2002 :  11:55:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would have to say that I can listen to any tim album without skipping a track excpet for SIYS. Don't get me wrong, it's a great album and love all the songs, but it doesn't flow as nicely as other albums. After listening to Is Anybody Here, SIYS and Hopeful Heresy, Frantic is kind of a system shock, so I usually end up listening to that album in two ways. One to relax, and one to get kind of energetic.

Still Strumming,
Will
Go to Top of Page

joecrash
Is Anybody Here?

6 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2002 :  03:41:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey thanks everyone for all your help. I ultimately decided on Nomadic Wavelength and Gossip of the Neurons. I ordered them both about a week and a half ago but have only gotten Nomadic Wavelength. I gave it a listen and was blown away. I didn't really have a great interest in Long Distance Caller or Analyze but overall I was very happy with the selection I made. I spent 5 hours last night learning Flourescence and just about have it down. Once again thank you all for your help and advice!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000