New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Evergreen
Yak Addict

960 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2001 :  9:58:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fearless Flying Frog Brigade
I had heard about Les doing these shows last year but never actually heard any of it. Today a friend gave me a show from 10/08/00. Whole first set is Pink Floyd tunes from Animals. Pigs, Sheep, Dogs...etc. Wow what a great musical delight! Very different from Primus or Oysterhead. Anyone know who's playing lead guitar in this band of Les's cause whoever it is...is amazing!

EVERGREEN 143

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2001 :  05:08:03 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Fresh from his recent successes with both Oysterhead (which also featured Trey Anastasio of Phish and Stewart Copeland, formerly of the Police) at the New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival, and new lineups at Mountain Aire, Gathering Of The Vibes and the Jammy's (Jambands.com's awards), Primus main man Les Claypool continued to broaden his horizons with another musical alliance, Colonel Les Claypool's Fearless Flying Frog Brigade.

Bassist extraordinaire, vocalist and songwriter are just a few of the roles Claypool has taken on over the years with Primus. Producer, video director, cartoonist/animator, screenwriter, record label owner, and interactive design artist are all part of the panoply of talents and interests this unique multimedia adventurer has explored. Claypool has always kept his musical hands wet outside the Primus waters, not only with side projects Sausage (featuring Jay Lane of Rat Dog) and Les Claypool & the Holy Mackerel (which included the talents of Jay Lane, Charlie Hunter, and Henry Rollins), but his playing can be heard on albums by Tom Waits, Rob Wasserman, Alex Lifeson of Rush, Kenny Wayne Shepherd, and Jerry Cantrell of Alice In Chains. In addition to Primus appearances, look for Les to resurface occasionally in the future with an array of various musical reinforcements.

Two of the members of The Frog Brigade are also in Rat Dog. Jay Lane was a member of Primus in 1988 and was the drummer in Sausage, Claypool's reunion band from that era, whose album "Riddles Are Abound" was released in 1994. Jay has also been a part of both the Charlie Hunter Trio and Alphabet Soup both of whom had their debuts on Les' Prawn Song Records label. Keyboardist Jeff Chimenti has a lengthy resume, having played with Phil Lesh, En Vogue and such jazz legends as Pharoah Sanders, James Moody, Ernie Watts, Art Farmer and Frank Morgan.

Guitarist Todd Huth was an original member of Primus. Todd was also a member of Sausage, and had his own band, Porch, who released their one album on Claypool's Prawn Song Records label in 1995.

Seattle's sax maniac Skerik leads avant-group Critters Buggin and has also been a member of Galactic, Tuatara (featuring REM's Pete Buck), and Ponga.

Guitarist Eenor was chosen by Claypool from the many submssions received recently from local musicians around the Bay Area. He is best known locally for fronting funk-rockers Channel 23.

http://www.lesclaypool.com/frog/lofi.shtml

Skerik is one of my all time faves!! He has a band called SadHappy from Seattle. They are like HeavyMetal Jazz with Skerik playing the sax thru all these petals that make him sound like Jimi Hendrix. Check them out if you get the chance!!

Sadhappy - Good Day Bad Dream
Periscope
Sadhappy were popular favourites on the Seattle scene even before Nirvana and the other guitar rock supergroups hit it big. And with their unique and decidely alternative approach to jazzpunkfusion they continue to push the envelope as far as they feel neccessary.
Joining the core members Paul Hinklin (bass guitar) and Evan Schiller (drums and samples) on this their latest release on Periscope is acclaimed bass guitar virtuoso Michael Manring, who also does double duty as synth player, providing subtle analog and digital enhancements throughout.
Wait a minute. Lets back up a little. That's right, two bass players in this band. But don't think for one second that the album sounds like some bottom heavy bass solo showcase. Far from it.
There's a vibrancy throughout which is, at times, enhanced by barely restrained free-form passages, elevating the whole experience to staggering heights. At other times careful orchestration gives the impression of mayhem, when in fact all is totally under control, as in Honeymoon Deathbed which seems unstoppable.
Also listen out for spoken word from Hinklin which turns parts of the CD a distinct shade of Crimson, helping put a personal touch to an album which will appeal to those who are looking for something decidely different.

Check out their website.
http://members.aol.com/periscoper/
I should warn you there is no guitar player. Although I dare you to figure that out with a single listen. It is still way kewl. Skerik makes that sax sound like Jimi Hendrix. It is awesome!!!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

Isaac
Chatterbox

USA
461 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2001 :  1:54:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I haven't heard much Frog Brigade but i've been on a monster Oysterhead kick lately, The Grand Pecking order is a fucking great CD, I just can't get enough of Les Claypool's bass playing, the guy is so talented with such great hooks!

3----------------------->

Isaac
Go to Top of Page

Black Lotus
Fluffy-Esque

Burkina Faso (Upper Volta)
1043 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2001 :  6:18:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Black Lotus's Homepage  Send Black Lotus an AOL message  Reply with Quote
No one is in the same hemisphere of talent as les claypool, period. He got his gift from the devil himself ... but damn, it was well worth it .

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2002 :  02:52:27 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Why couldn't it have been a "Gift from God"? Like TR's ability! Food for Thought!!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2002 :  08:57:20 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I finally heard OYSTERHEAD. Well its not as bad as TR made it out. I don't think. If you are a big Les fan or Primus fan you will probably really like it. I have to agree with him though, it is definitely not one of Stewart Copeland's most shining examples of his ability. I don't think TR is a big Primus fan, that may explain his lack of love for the album. It has some amazing bass playing on it though(surprise surprise, He said digging into Silkys sarcasm machine). That guy really can play bass. He reminds me alot of Tony Levin from King Crimson alot of the time. I think KC is just over alot of peoples heads. Robert Fripp is a madman on guitar. Talk about taking it places it has never gone b4. And with the later addition of Adrian Belew(who got his start playing with Zappa, like Steve Vai) they were just unstoppable. I remember the first time I saw them live, I was amazed that alot of the sounds I heard on the album were coming from guitar. Belew's guitar. That guy is a monster at getting bizarre sounds out of a guitar. Which brings us back to TR which is the reason we are all here.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

Erich with an h
Yak Addict

USA
853 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2002 :  10:26:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Erich with an h's Homepage  Send Erich with an h an AOL message  Reply with Quote
"we're sorry ladys and gentlemen, the Fluffy Express Train of Thought will be making slight detours in.... well shit, i dont know where its going. Sorry for the delay folks, and enjoy your ride!"

*laughs*

We love you fluffy

Erich w/ an h
Erichwanh@yahoo.com
The Tim Reynolds Tour and Recording Database
Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2002 :  2:20:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
His little ramblings there were all over the map, but I do have to admit they were intersting.

teri

Did I mention that I finished a marathon?
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2002 :  2:33:52 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
My mind moves in mysterious ways!!!!!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2002 :  2:56:02 PM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I was gonna make some sense... but then I got high...
-J

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2002 :  4:36:47 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Silky Said:
quote:
I was gonna make some sense...

Instead you made sensemilla !!!!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2002 :  06:01:29 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Instead you smoked some SENSEmilla!!!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

Black Lotus
Fluffy-Esque

Burkina Faso (Upper Volta)
1043 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2002 :  09:55:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit Black Lotus's Homepage  Send Black Lotus an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I was gonna make some sense... but then I got high...
-J

HAHAHAHH! Dude, I love that song. Have you heard the rest of Afro Man's cd? It's awesome as hell.

-
Stonimal rights activist with a dented ass.
Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2002 :  11:35:12 AM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Can't say I've heard anything other than that one song... is the other stuff pretty funny too?
-J

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000