For the guitar players out there
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

br1
Is Anybody Here?

USA
47 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2009 :  12:01:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit br1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi there everyone. Hope you all are having a great summer so far. I just wanted to share something pretty sweet to the friends I made at FPR and the other guitarists on here, who probably love to play as well.. I know it's short notice, but maybe you can make it next year, if not this year. Check out - The Canadian Guitar Festival/Competition. July 31st- August 3rd. Hosted by Candyrat Records (That dude Andy Mckee from youtube and many others are on that label)
$150.00 bucks gets you three days of camping, concerts, clinics with some of the best fingerstlye players out there and even a seat in the competition, if you'd like. It's a small chill fest and if you're looking for a cheap, fun summer trip that's sure to inspire your fingers and love of the outdoors, you should really check this out.
http://www.canadianguitarfestival.com/
It's right near a beautiful lake too. Aww man. Can't wait. Hope you're all well and you got to catch some good shows this summer.
Also - Is the date set for Tim's next FPR class?
Later, y'all
-Billy

Hopeful Rolling Waves
Alien Abductee

South Sandwich Islands
2154 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2009 :  5:52:24 PM  Show Profile  Send Hopeful Rolling Waves an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Aww shit, Billy. Def cant make it this year, but maybe next! Sounds dope. Melt some faces.

http://db.etree.org/hopefulrollingwaves/ < My Trading List
Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2009 :  11:53:19 AM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Would have loved to have been able to go... are there any videos of you melting faces?

Go to Top of Page

br1
Is Anybody Here?

USA
47 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2009 :  3:41:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit br1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I just have to order some cables for my camera and computer and I'll be able to upload the video. I gotta get on that. I'll let you guys know. Thanks for asking. Holy hell though guys, everyone was so damn good who entered the competition. I don't even think my songs raised an eyebrow, let alone melt any faces! I have video of the guy who one. He puts Leo Kottke's right hand to shame and his songs sounded like epic video game saga music. It was the shit and my face is forever goopy droop. You guys should go next year. It's actually only $100.00 bucks, not $150.00 for three days of camping, concerts, clinics and fresh air. You'll to see players like Don Ross, Don Alder, Erik Mongrain, Michael Manring, Antoine Dufuor, Andy Mckee, etc. Hope everyone's playing is coming along and congrats to Dave on his new CD release!
Go to Top of Page

Hopeful Rolling Waves
Alien Abductee

South Sandwich Islands
2154 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2009 :  08:41:32 AM  Show Profile  Send Hopeful Rolling Waves an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I would hold McKee hostage til he played 'Africa' for me.

Go to Top of Page

gnome44
Yak Addict

749 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2009 :  09:01:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like a great time!

I'm competing in the Walnut International Fingerstyle Guitar Competition in Winfield, Kansas again this year (mid-Sept). It's only a $10 registration fee to compete (it's like $50 per day to attend)...and you get to share the stage with many of the best guitarists in the world (all those that Billy mentioned have played/won in the past).

Not only is it great playing to such a great crowd...it's great to sit back and listen to 40 amazing guitar players perform their best stuff. I can't think of a better way to spend a few hours.

Usually though, by the end of the day, I feel like I'm a terrible guitar player. But hey...there's always next year...

http://www.wvfest.com/
Go to Top of Page

gnome44
Yak Addict

749 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2009 :  09:04:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's the guy that one the Canadian Guitar Competition that Billy was talking about.

His playing is fantastic.

I won't comment on the clothes...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cgsxix-AQQ&feature=related
Go to Top of Page

br1
Is Anybody Here?

USA
47 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2009 :  12:15:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit br1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey gnome44. I'd love to check out your songs. Can you put up some links?
... Yeah! That's the dude who won. He played Level 5 much faster in the competition. Homeboy loves Megaman. Thanks for posting his links. Wow. He's a monster
Go to Top of Page

gnome44
Yak Addict

749 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2009 :  5:37:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I've posted a bunch of stuff on here before... They're all demo-quality recordings/videos. But it works to get the idea across.

You can check it out here:

http://www.myspace.com/ECguitar

http://www.youtube.com/user/ECguitar4
Go to Top of Page

br1
Is Anybody Here?

USA
47 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2009 :  1:09:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit br1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ahh! Yes yes. I remember. We're friends already. Awesome playing! Good luck this year at the competition.
Go to Top of Page

gnome44
Yak Addict

749 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2009 :  6:52:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How in the world could you ever forget me? HAHA!

I'll need luck...but I have a "trick" this year that might help me move up a few spots (that way I'll finish 5th from last instead of 2nd to last).
Go to Top of Page

br1
Is Anybody Here?

USA
47 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2009 :  11:55:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit br1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey man, as long as you get there and do your thang - It doesn't matter what you finish. Did you actually get to see where you placed Kansas? I'm pretty sure at the Canadian one, it was top five to the final top three - without knowing where you ranked. Ehh.. No big deal.. About that trick up your sleeve - Check out Trevor Gordon Hall. Nice guy from Philly. He finished 3rd. Check this out - He put one of those little thumb xylophone thingies on his guitar and was doing some sweet stuff with it. Personally, I don't think it should have been allowed for the competition - but outside of that - it's pretty cool and quite ingenious of him.
Go to Top of Page

gnome44
Yak Addict

749 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2009 :  5:33:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately, you don't get to know where you placed. Only the top 5 move on...and only the top 3 are ranked.

I like to assume that I placed 6th.
Go to Top of Page

gnome44
Yak Addict

749 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2009 :  8:27:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Billy, is that Ewan Dobson dude enormous? He dwarfs the dreadnought that he's playing. I'm always envious of people who are that big...they don't have to deal with the guitar on a physical level (hands to small for a reach, neck aches because of the width of the guitar, etc.).

I guess Tim has overcome that with spades...but it would probably help if you were 6'8" or so...
Go to Top of Page

br1
Is Anybody Here?

USA
47 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2009 :  1:18:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit br1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That Ewan dude is a monster. He's huge! I hear you man. I must say though, you can tell he practiced his ass off. He fuc*#in shreds, too! Like Yngwie Malmsteem style. He's a total giant, monster, freak, maniac, genius, virtuoso.
I have tiny, lttle bitch hands myself. Even though Tim is a smaller guy, his fingers are longer than mine. Look at Django, though. Homeboy only had two fingers and killed it!
Go to Top of Page

br1
Is Anybody Here?

USA
47 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2009 :  2:35:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit br1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Also, for the guitar players on here - Or, just for anyone that wants to hear something new.. I used to be in this band called The Juniper Tree a few years back. We made a short, shitty demo. There'a a lot we could have did with it, but I'm pretty happy with the guitar parts for the most part. I did the lead and solos on the tracks. With all this guitar talk recently, Id' thought I'd share it with the board. There's a sweet slide solo on "Vegas Song" - hopefully you listen to the whole thing. The tone is super soft and killer on the solo. I love it. And on "A Mosnter" it gets good when the drums kick in. I havent listened to these songs in a while. Wow. Good times. Hopefully you all dig the Ambient Rock, give a listen and zone out while you're on the web. Enjoy.

http://www.myspace.com/junipertreemusic

Go to Top of Page

gnome44
Yak Addict

749 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2009 :  11:25:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess this title of his might not be so mysterious after all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1KJlS-virs&feature=related

That makes him precisely 12 and 1/2 taller than me. Freak.

I'm becoming more and more obsessed with his playing...
Go to Top of Page

br1
Is Anybody Here?

USA
47 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2009 :  03:21:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit br1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
How does no one on here reply to how sick this beast is? Thanks for sharing this
Go to Top of Page

gnome44
Yak Addict

749 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2009 :  09:52:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nobody on here replies about anything anymore.

I don't think I could stand to buy one of his albums...or listen to him while I work (like I can with Tim, Leo Kottke, James Blackshaw, etc). But his playing is fabulous and I love the way he composes.
Go to Top of Page

Hopeful Rolling Waves
Alien Abductee

South Sandwich Islands
2154 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2009 :  1:35:24 PM  Show Profile  Send Hopeful Rolling Waves an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I watched a bunch of his stuff, that one part towards the end of Level 5 makes my brain bleed. He sounds a bit homogeneous overall, but I am definitely a fan.

Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2009 :  7:28:11 PM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
That dude is a beast... seriously... jesus.

Go to Top of Page

gnome44
Yak Addict

749 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2009 :  6:00:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I met Ewan yesterday at the International Fingerstyle Guitar Competition. He ended up taking 3rd (total rip-off...there's no way he shouldn't have won).

He's a really nice guy and showed me some of his techniques, etc. He asked to play my Taylor Leo Kottke guitar and I got to play his Martin. It was great, other than the fact that his strap was so long that the guitar ended up being somewhere around me knees.

He's a quality dude and one helluva player. His intensity is amazing to see firsthand.

I mentioned to him the fact that his songs often sound like Nintendo songs...especially Mega-Man-esque. He busted out a few Mega-Man themes (most Dr. Wiley stages).

Cool stuff.

I also met Andy McKee at there. He was just hanging out with his wife watching the competition. We talked about how amazed we were at how good Ewan is.
Go to Top of Page

br1
Is Anybody Here?

USA
47 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2009 :  6:52:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit br1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That's always strange when you try on another persons guitar and it's like that. Cool to hear. Who did win this year? Did you play?
Go to Top of Page

gnome44
Yak Addict

749 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2009 :  11:49:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure who won...I left after Ewan was announced as getting 3rd (not that I left in protest, they were dragging the thing out and I had to leave). It was between a Japanese guy (Akhiro something, I think) and a guy who played classical guitar.

The judges really blew it this year.

I did play. I played my 12-string. I think I could have played better...but we'll see how it really went when I get the tape back.
Go to Top of Page

br1
Is Anybody Here?

USA
47 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2009 :  03:30:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit br1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well dude, This file is on fire so show us your chops. Looking forward to hearing some new tunes. You should let us guitar players know. We love new licks.
Go to Top of Page

gnome44
Yak Addict

749 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2009 :  09:11:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll definitely post video of the performance when I get it (probably a month or 2 away). And I've been intending to record some more videos...but I'm getting tired of the crappy mic on my computer, and I'm not particularly willing to splurge on a decent mic.

We'll see. I'll let you know when I get some more tunes up there.
Go to Top of Page

gnome44
Yak Addict

749 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2009 :  08:06:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ewan Dobson recently released his album. Highly recommended!

He has a weird sense of humor. 5 minutes on his website will have you laughing and scratching your head.

http://ewandobson.com/
Go to Top of Page

gnome44
Yak Addict

749 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2009 :  1:42:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Everyone needs to buy this album! I can't stop listening to it. You won't be disappointed...I promise!

P.S. I bought the mp3 album on Amazon for $7.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000