Should I be concerned?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2001 :  12:13:39 AM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I've had a headache on and off for a few weeks, and the last few days it seemed to be centralized(SP? is that even a word) on the left side of my face, and when I'd lean my head to the right, i'd really feel a pain and pressure in my ear, all the way down my neck. Now, the pains gone, and my nose just started bleeding.

Any thoughts?

Adam

There's a lot more to music than notes on a page.

I am Ion, the priest of the inner sanctuary. I submit myself to an unendurable torment. I dismembered myself, and I have become spirit.

Email: Guitar_Boy1@yahoo.com

AIM: GuitarGuy305

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2001 :  01:23:00 AM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I think it is safe to say that you should be at least interested in what the problem might be... Maybe our resident nurse can shed some light on the possibilities.

I do know from experience that problems like those aren't ones that you want to wait to figure out. Especially if the nosebleed was related to your head/neck problem.

I had the same thing once (without the bleeding) after I came home from Guatemala. Don't worry, because there is about a .00001% chance that that's what you have. But I was in the hospital for about a week, and I found out later that people thought I was going to die (although I never did think I was going to). As a matter of fact, all they ever told me was that I had a tropical illness, and that I was better, so don't worry about it. They did everything to me, from MRIs to spinal taps (that's the worst thing I've ever been thru, mind you). But I'm ok now.

Anyway, like I said, don't worry about that being your case (unless you just got back from Guatemala). Hope you figure out the problem and you get ok soon.

-Jason-

I am a servant of the power behind the nothing.
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2001 :  02:19:36 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Yeah! Where is Liz, I know she was working Xmas eve but I thought she was off today. Maybe she can shed some light on your ailment. I will shoot her an email to read your post! It may not be serious but with those kinds of symtoms, I would be concerned. And I AM!!!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2001 :  02:24:31 AM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, this all started out with a killer migraine a few weeks ago too. Ever since then I've had this headache on and off.

Thanks for your concern and help!! :)

Adam

I am Ion, the priest of the inner sanctuary. I submit myself to an unendurable torment. I dismembered myself, and I have become spirit.

Go to Top of Page

LizT
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1687 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2001 :  09:30:40 AM  Show Profile  Send LizT an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hey Adam, got Fluffy's email. Have you been diagnosed with migraines? If you have, I feel for you. The headache part sounds like a migraine because they usually focus on one side. I'm concerned it's been going on for a fairly long time. I had severe migraines going through college. I had all the CT scans,MRI's and other tests to rule out other things that could be going on in my head. Hee hee, my EEG(brainwaves) are slightly abnormal, hell I could have told them that! You really should see a doc and have it checked out. You don't want to be walking around with a ticking time bomb in there, seriously. The ear issue sound like it could be an infection, so a doc would need to look in there and give you some antibiotics if that's the case. If the headache and nosebleed problem are related,it would be good to get your blood pressure checked to see if it's elevated. Afrin nose spray is a quick fix for nosebleeds, but it doesn't take care of the immediate problem of why it's bleeding. Just dry heat in your home can precipitate a nose bleed. A humidifier helps with that, keeping the mucous membranes moist. Also, it could be a sinus infection. I've had trouble with nosebleeds in the past, no fun... The doc had to cauterize it, meaning taking this q-tip thing with silver nitrate and stick it up my nose and zapping the the blood vessel! Now that really sucks!! It really hurt, the tears just ran down my face, but it cured it!! I suggest not blowing your nose too much, that will irritate the bleeders in there. Well that's some advice, but I really think you should see a good doc you trust! A doc should treat you a a person and listen to you, not just treat you as a number and take your money!! Please let me know how you're doing. Liz
Go to Top of Page

LizT
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1687 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2001 :  09:38:12 AM  Show Profile  Send LizT an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I hope I didn't scare you Adam, take care of yourself!! It's probably something very minor, but it's difficult to tell without being checked out by a health professional.
Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2001 :  10:25:44 AM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
i had that nose thing with the silver nitrate. boy that sucked.

when you think about it, mud is just wet dirt.
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2001 :  10:51:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hey enthuTIMsiast, I have a question. How does things like a spinal tap hurt? I mean I've heard that chemotherapy is really painful, but I don't know why. The only one that I know is painful is electro-shock therepy because of the movie One Flew Over The Cookoo's Nest.

Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2001 :  11:23:27 AM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
The spinal tap was absolutely the worst thing I've ever had in my life. I laid on a table, they xrayed where they were going to stick the needle that was who knows how long, then the doc came over and I had to be really still while he jabbed the needle into my spinal column. Then they tipped the table so that the fluid would drain toward the needle which was sucking the fluid out. I could actually feel the fluid draining, and that was awful. I am actually having pains in that spot right now, and it's been about 2 years since I had it.

It was awful. But hell, my sister had one the next week or so, and they did it differently, and her's was a piece of cake. Of course, she has scoliosis and has had back surgery and had about two ribs removed and placed vertically in her spine....so she's probably more used to that kind of thing than me....

And the silver nitrate....my mom used to treat mouth ulcers with those. It did work, but I can only imagine that one in the nose would hurt like hell.

-Jason-

Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2001 :  12:38:47 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your concern everyone, and your extensive reply Liz. I think I will see my doc next week. The migraine I had a few weeks ago is the first one I've EVER had. And now that I think of it, the pain in my left side of my head started in my neck, and when I was pushing on it wtih my finger, it hurt, almost like a swollen gland or something, so I may have had a small infection.

As far as the nose bleed, could that maybe be an iron deficiency? My friends keep teling me I don't eat enough meat, or other iron rich things....so that's what I'm thinking. I'm not sure I'm getting enough. I hadn't blown, picked, hit, or hurt my nose in anyway, I was sitting at the computer, and it felt like my nose was running. I grabbed a tissue, and looked down and saw blood on it, etc... Bled for a while then it stopped.

Adam

Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2001 :  5:47:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
"Remember Ralphie, if your nose starts bleeding, that means you're picking it too much...or not enough!"

Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2001 :  6:10:53 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I'm not picking my nose, I'm pointing at my brain.

Adam, my sister had chronic nosebleeds, and when she went to the doc, she told my sister that it could be from taking too many vitamins and drinking too much coffee. Mind you, I think that doctor was full of shit about the coffee, but I wouldn't take tooo many vitamins if I were you (or me, hell, either one of us). I think Liz K even mentioned that somewhere...maybe in a hair topic once...

-Jason-

Go to Top of Page

LizT
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1687 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2001 :  9:23:36 PM  Show Profile  Send LizT an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Glad your going to the doc Adam. I really don't think your nose bleed is from an iron deficiency. I've never heard of that before. But if you don't get enough iron in your diet, it and make you feel run down. And with vitamins, too much is a bad thing. The fat soluable vitamins like A,D, E and K can accumulate in your body and become toxic. Iron in excess is bad on your liver. If coffee was a cause for nosebleeds, I should be bleeding to death!!! LOL!
Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2002 :  3:50:26 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
So did you go to the doctor and get fixed, Adam?

-Jason-

Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2002 :  3:51:13 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Maybe I should say "repaired," not "fixed." I don't imagine it was a vet that you went to, was it?

-Jason-

Go to Top of Page

Dave S
Chatterbox

USA
145 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2002 :  02:03:20 AM  Show Profile  Send Dave S an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Good god...ribs removed? placed in your spine? I'm sure that's nothing compared to a mere needle stuck in your spine...although they both sound like something endured in somewhere around the 7th circle of hell. I consider myself extremely lucky, i've had no major operations of any kind....I hope this luck keeps holding out.

Go to Top of Page

ujohnb01
Chatterbox

USA
107 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2002 :  02:06:24 AM  Show Profile  Send ujohnb01 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Dont fuck with headaches, I thought mine was just really bad and it was spinal menengitis. 50/50 to live for that SOB. Talk about pain, I would have swallowed a boat load of Vicodin If i could. I setteled for a morphine drip though;)
Peace,
BJ

On the 1st day God created Tim.
Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2002 :  02:21:01 AM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Ya vol. They thought what I had was spinal meningitis for a while, but then after they tapped my spine (for spine syrup, of course), they decided it wasn't that. So what I had was basically the same, but not really, cause that's not what it was. But I was pretty close to dying as well, so I know what you mean with the 50/50 or so. Weird. I didn't even know I was about to die and I didn't find out until later that my parents thought I was a gonner. Maybe that's what death is like. Or maybe I'm just ready to die.

But not around Xar.

-Jason-

Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2002 :  02:23:21 AM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Good god...ribs removed? placed in your spine? I'm sure that's nothing compared to a mere needle stuck in your spine...although they both sound like something endured in somewhere around the 7th circle of hell. I consider myself extremely lucky, i've had no major operations of any kind....I hope this luck keeps holding out.

Yeah, that's what they did. Took a rib from my sister and placed it in her back. She is still sensitive at the place from where they took the rib. Like if I tickle her at that former-rib, she gives me hell and gets really pissed off and I feel like an awful brother.

So everyone, don't tickle my sister on her left side.

But really, it was a hard surgery. I think she was in for something like 10 or 15 hours and then she was in recovery forever. But she's better now. Her spine is still curving, tho.

-Jason-

Go to Top of Page

ujohnb01
Chatterbox

USA
107 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2002 :  02:28:39 AM  Show Profile  Send ujohnb01 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
To give an idea how sick I was, I woke up in the middel of the nighty and started screaming. I realized only later taht I had vomittefd all over myself without even a hint of recognition. later, when my parents came in I didnt even know my own name or know who i was. The body is a very sacred thing! DONT FUCK WITH IT!
Peace,
BJ

On the 1st day God created Tim.
Go to Top of Page

LizT
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1687 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2002 :  08:22:30 AM  Show Profile  Send LizT an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I hope you guys going to college got a meningitis vaccine. Living in close quarters make you more suseptible to contracting the disease if you are exposed. My son got the shot before he left for University of Maryland. I couldn't believe he shares this tiny dorm with 2 other guys. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!!!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000