Quitting Smoking ...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Black Lotus
Fluffy-Esque

Burkina Faso (Upper Volta)
1043 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2001 :  11:57:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Black Lotus's Homepage  Send Black Lotus an AOL message  Reply with Quote
OK, without getting into personal stuff as to why ... I'm quitting smoking as of yesterday. I had 5 cigarettes yesterday, and one so far today. I usually smoke about a pack or more a day.

I even went jogging lastnight to get into shape - ran 2.5 miles and let me tell you, my legs are killing me.

Wish me luck, if my wife and I succeed, we're probably going to start trying to make a baby this summer :)

-----------------------
Look ma, new signature!

LizT
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1687 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2001 :  2:43:15 PM  Show Profile  Send LizT an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Good luck quitting smoking. It's very difficult to do. I quit for 18 years and started again last year, just like I never quit! All those years I still had dreams I smoked, very weird! I caved in last year due to extreme stress! It truly is an addiction that's hard to break. Having a baby is an excellent reason to give up smoking, that was my incentive. Just an FYI, it's recommended for women to start taking vitamins with folic acid before conception. I hope I wasn't too personal there...... Good luck!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2001 :  7:12:55 PM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I hope you can kick that crap! and tisk tisk Liz, get rid of those things again! I guess it's easy for me to say though, just want everyone to be healthy.

Go to Top of Page

LizT
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1687 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2001 :  7:35:48 PM  Show Profile  Send LizT an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I know Kevin, I keep saying I will kick it. I'm getting a lot of grief about it. I am lacking the will power at the present.......
Go to Top of Page

fraggle
Is Anybody Here?

16 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2001 :  8:00:50 PM  Show Profile  Send fraggle an AOL message  Reply with Quote
good luck. Especially on getting in shape....Got out of the army 1.5 years ago. Stopped doing anything...Gained 45 lbs...I am starting to run, etc again hehehe its tough!

Go to Top of Page

Sarah
Is Anybody Here?

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2001 :  8:14:41 PM  Show Profile  Send Sarah an AOL message  Reply with Quote
yeah, smoking is some stupid shit. and its really shocking how many youngins are smoking. i still suffer and your allways gonna think about it but you will be so proud of yourself. day at a time thats the key, and keep running it will help the condition of your lungs

Sarah Q
Go to Top of Page

Black Lotus
Fluffy-Esque

1043 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2001 :  10:54:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Black Lotus's Homepage  Send Black Lotus an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Well, I think it'll be pretty tough. I started smoking to help kick my herion habit (6 years clean) - basically to give me something else to poison my body with instead. Now, it's time to quit that smoking as well.

At least I can still drink :) It's impossible to give up everything, at least for me.

-----------------------
Look ma, new signature!
Go to Top of Page

LizT
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1687 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2001 :  09:01:40 AM  Show Profile  Send LizT an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Congrats Black Lotus on being clean for 6 years, you should be very proud of yourself! Sounds like you have really gotten your life together!!!! A tip I can recommend is eating lifesavers. It was a big help when I quit the first time. I guess I should ask for lifesavers for xmas. I know a few people that tried hypnosis, but that is a bunch of bullshit, it's a money making scam! There are the nicotine patches and gum too. Zyban is a presciption med, but that has weird side effects, nightmares... Good luck, your a man with a plan, you can do it!!! I suggest lifesavers and exercise!!!
Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2001 :  1:05:47 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I've been quitting smoking for about a year now. "Quitting" because it is a process. I still smoke sometimes when I go out or go to a concert, but hell, I think that's ok anyway. As long as it's not a habit.

So I feel your pain, and I hope you overcome. If you can kick the other habit, I imagine you can kick smoking.

-Jason-

I am a servant of the power behind the nothing.
Go to Top of Page

dirtysloth
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1302 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2001 :  6:30:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Smoke some weed for a while Such a shame it's illegal... think about it... for a while you could still smoke, but it'd be a non-addictive, all natural substance... and you'd feel great! But seriously, Liz or anyone with the knowledge, would smoking any other legal sort of natural herb be helpful to stop smoking cigarettes? I don't smoke cigarettes and I can't say I know what it's like to have to deal with an addiction, but it seems if the nicorette or mints don't do it for you and you just have to smoke, that another all natural non-addictive herb, even though it's still bad on the lungs, would be a good alternative until you can overcome the craving.

Good luck Lotus, especially with the jogging. I have a hard enough time motivating myself when the weather is nice, much less when it's thirty degrees and windy like it is here now.

Peace,
Patrick

http://members.tripod.com/one4tim/index.htm
Go to Top of Page

Evergreen
Yak Addict

960 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2001 :  3:45:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The herbs goldenseal and kava kava help reduce cigarette cravings but they are eaten, not smoked. I know for me taking goldenseal for 20-30 days made my body go yuck yuck when having a cigarette. The goldenseal especially makes them taste bad. And I normally love the flavor of cigs. Canadian cigs especially. That's how I started after never smoking anything but weed. Went to Canada and bought one pack of Export A's....yum yum. If you live near a good herb store ask the people who work there because there are other herbal blends that work great too, but not sure of the names...
Another great thing to think about is.....if you can keep from smoking for 3 months you'll have completely new lungs. No joke! The cells in your lungs reproduce themselves very quickly and within 3 months ALL the cells and tissue in your lungs have been replaced by new ones. Sometimes it helps to think about that. WOO HOO brand new lungs by spring. All pink and glossy... that can only be a good thing!!!

EVERGREEN 143
Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2001 :  6:48:26 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
How is this going?

I think heard somewhere that it is easier to do something (like quit smoking) when you have someone that you are accountable to, and that will make you stick to your commitment.

Not that I'm going to crack a whip or anything, but I just wanted to see how you are doing...

-Jason-

Go to Top of Page

Black Lotus
Fluffy-Esque

1043 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2001 :  12:11:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit Black Lotus's Homepage  Send Black Lotus an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Honestly ... I'm doing terrible. I need to put fourth more effort.

-----------------------
Look ma, new signature!

For more information, visit: http://www.freepeltier.org
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2001 :  10:23:22 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hey Black Lotus didn't you say you were quitting with your wife?
quote:
'Wish me luck, if my wife and I succeed, we're probably going to start trying to make a baby this summer :)

I would think that would be someone accountable. How is she doing? Any better than you? My best friend Frank and Mags gave up alcohol. Frank has been doing OK though. He was pretty proud of his first Christmas with no alcohol. He is hoping New Years is just as EZ. Mags also had to quit smoking. Its ruff but it CAN be done. A baby seems like pretty good incentive. Good luck! LMK if there is anything I can do. I definitely want to support you in this endeavor!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2001 :  10:33:28 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Yea I can dig it Black (I almost say Locust every time...) Lotus.

I did smoke a little, and now I don't, but when someone at work does something stupid or pisses me off....it is hard not just to calm down with one of those....

I guess that's not helping. I do know how you feel, and I hope you can quit if that's what you want to do.

-Jason-

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000