Car won't start??
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Black Lotus
Fluffy-Esque

Burkina Faso (Upper Volta)
1043 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2001 :  11:15:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Black Lotus's Homepage  Send Black Lotus an AOL message  Reply with Quote
You don't have to be a licenced mechanic to have a car that won't start. Here are some simple steps that will save you money by preventing you from going to the mall.

Step One : Ignition Check

Is the key in the ignition?
Is it the car key
Are you turning it the right way?
Does the motor turn over?
Do you know what 'turn over' means? (You married guys do?) If the motor doesn't turn over, check the battery. Wipe off the top of the battery and lay your tongue across both terminals. Check your watch. If you blacked out for more than an hour, the battery is fine. Remove one a spark plug for a random test. Slide your ear lobe into the spark plug gap and have a friend crank the starter. If it works, you should now have a pierced ear.

When you are satisfied that the ignition is ok, move on to the fuel check.

Step Two : Fuel Check

Does the fuel gauge show gas?
Does the fuel gauge work?
Is there a fuel gauge?
Have you ever looked at the fuel gauge before?
Did you lend the car to a friend, husband, wife or your teenager and they promised and swore on their honor to gas it up?
Remove the gas cap, do you see gas?
Do you smell gas?
Do you taste gas?
Are you standing in gas?
If you enjoy travelling, hold a match up to the gas filler tube.
Disconnect the outlet tube from the fuel pump. It's probably a metric fitting so you may as well snip it off with side cutters. Look down the end of the tube while a friend cranks the motor. If you detect a fair amount of excess gas in your eye, the fuel pump is fine. Re-connect the tube with duct tape. Find every adjusting screw on the carburetor and turn them all the way one way. Try the engine. Now turn them all the way the other way. Try the engine again. Now set them all roughly somewhere in the middle. The automatic choke mechanism can rarely be fixed so whack it a few times with a hammer just for fun.

Now that you have ruled out ignition or fuel problems, move on to alternate starting techniques.

Step Three : Alternate Starting Techniques

For an older car that has never had a tune-up or an oil change or a tank of brand-name gas, the car battery may not have enough power. Attach battery cables to the terminals. Run the cables into your house and plug them into the stove circuit. Set your rad to 425 degrees and your engine should be done in about an hour. Baste lightly, serves six anxious passengers.
Maybe the starting motor doesn't turn the engine over fast enough. Take your car to the top of a big hill, or better still
always remember to park at the top of a big hill, then turn on the ignition and roll it down. Pop the clutch often and with
attitude. If the car won't start, try rolling it backwards down the hill. If that doesn't work try rolling it sideways into a
ravine.
Bring a crushed car home from the auto wrecker. Park it in front of your car and say, "This could be you." If a car won't
start with threats, it's finished. But you still deserve some satisfaction.

Step Four : Satisfaction

A Saturday afternoon with a ten-pound sledge hammer can really ease the frustration of a car that refuses to start. And when
you have had your fill from every conceivable angle, hose it down with barbecue starter and give it a Viking funeral. A stunning milestone in the battle of Man against Machine.

Step Five : Afterthought

Make sure it's your car.

-----------------------
Look ma, new signature!

dirtysloth
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1302 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2001 :  6:39:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
A Saturday afternoon with a ten-pound sledge hammer can really ease the frustration of a car that refuses to start.

I've had fantasies about doing that to my '89 Plymouth Reliant(who the hell thought of that name for that car?! )

Anyway, that's some pretty funny stuff and hopefully I'll have some new wheels before college... Full Sail near Orlando sounds most appealing to me and I just don't think my poor car could even make a trip from Roanoke, VA to there.

Peace,
Patrick

http://members.tripod.com/one4tim/index.htm
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000