09/14/07 FTC Stage One Fairfield, CT
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2007 :  01:55:52 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
FTC Stage One reminded me alot of the venue we played a while back in Carson City, NV. All it needed was the moon and stars on the backdrop and it would have been a serious case of Deja Vu. We arrived to find out we had a sold out show which is always a nice surprise. The audience was quite responsive indicating that they were really into the performance but during the show quite attentive and respectful. Very hard to describe but suffice it to say there was a very positive vibe in the room. Most of the audience seemed to be familiar with TR's music. We did have the one guy, right at the beginning when TR first took the stage, before a single note was played who screamed "CORNBREAD!" but I think I was the only one who noticed. LOL Everyone else I mentioned it to said "Really?" Seemed to go unnoticed and the rest of the nite was above par. In contrast to the nite befores audience who were "pin drop quiet", these folks were quiet during the performance, and loud, excited and appreciative between songs. I would say the first gig seemed more sublime and the second while much more energetic still had a quality that I look for in a good TR show. It was different, yet somehow the same. Hard to explain, I think you really have to experience both to understand. Anyway, 2 great shows in a row to start off the TouR.

Our opening act was a wonderful surprise, his name was Andrew Hoover and while you could call him a singer/songwriter it would not be doing him justice. He had a very unique approach to his style of playing. To me it had, for lack of a better description, kind of a bebop jazz/ragtime feel to the playing. I kept thinking that he and Dave Cahill would make a good double bill together. I think fans of either one would appreciate the other. Their styles are quite different to my ear but they definitely would go together. Does that make any sense? LOL Check Andrew out if you have a chance.

After a short break, TR took the stage to rousing reception. The audience seemed really pumped for the show. TR's set looked a bit like this before some changes:

Space Balls Quiver
Rheginos
Delicate Balance
The Truth
Jemez
To Ride The Time Machine
Betrayal
Charging Penis Battalion Verses The Pussy Song
-------------------------------------------------
Sinceritox
Turn It/Do It
Ego Trippin At The Gates of Delerium
Belly of the Beast
Strom?
---------------------------------------------------
Green Black Blue Red
Whole Lotta Lovin
Continue
Dreaming
Assembly of Crust
--------------------------------------------------
Coco
Healing Of The Notions
Ocean
--------------------------------------------------
Hold On

Near as I can remember Jemez was replaced with YAMS by request and Strom was also in there after quite a few requests. The wonderful surprise that I have noticed on our first run of shows since the release of T&D RCMH is the response that Betrayal gets. It is now getting the kind of crowd reaction right at the beginning that used to be reserved for Stream. Very nice to see! Who knows, before long we may have people screaming "BETRAYAL!" instead the ever faithful "STREAM!" LOL Don't recall any other changes to the setlist but there might have been 1 or 2 others. The show was recorded so the tale of the tape should bear out the final setlist better than my memory.

I would like to thank Andrew for a wonderful opening set and beyond that the venue and staff which include Miles, Karen, Tyler, Elaine, Rob and everyone else who made us feel so welcome and took exemplary care of us all nite. Thanx for treating the jokers like kings! We look forward to a return engagement.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2007 :  02:07:24 AM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
The wonderful surprise that I have noticed on our first run of shows since the release of T&D RCMH is the response that Betrayal gets. It is now getting the kind of crowd reaction right at the beginning that used to be reserved for Stream. Very nice to see! Who knows, before long we may have people screaming "BETRAYAL!" instead the ever faithful "STREAM!"
I wondered that about Betrayal, and you answered my question. What a great song too. I really think it is my favorite of Tim's new songs that he's played over the last 3 years or so. I was happy to see it show up on the Radio City set because I knew that would mean a lot of exposure for such an amazing tune.

oh and this just deserves to be written again... this might be the coolest name ever: Charging Penis Battalion Verses The Pussy Song

god
Kevin
Go to Top of Page

JakeP
Is Anybody Here?

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2007 :  10:50:39 AM  Show Profile  Send JakeP an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Great show in Fairfield...I heard the guys scream cornbread as well haha...I was the guy that was sitting stage right and screamed
"you are my sanity" and tim turned to me and said i was his sanity haha... unbelevable remdition of this beautiful song though. Thanks again for signing my guitar pick and ticket after the show as well. Tim put on a great show and andrew hoover was a great opener. Hope to see Tim in the area again soon. GL rest of the tour
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2008 :  03:27:50 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Don't know how I forgot to mention this in my original review of this gig but TR played a cover of the Flaming Lips "Ego Trippin @ the Gates of Hell". To my knowledge and to TR's recollection this is the only TIMe he played this particular cover. GREAT NEWS, I just acquired the multi-track recordings of this show the last TIMe we played here and I have passed them off to Marcus Eaton's soundman Mark to mix it down for us so at some point you will all be able to hear this show and the amazing Flaming Lips cover. I am sure Kevin Lesko is as excited as me!(who knows, maybe not LOL)

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2008 :  03:37:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh my god.

I love that song! I cannot wait to hear TR's version. Thanks for the good news Fluffy, this brightened up a terrible night.

Steve Hackett: "I'm my own opening act, you see."
Tim (before "Faceoff"): "Peace, love....and SEX!"
cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2008 :  04:24:17 AM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
damn right I'm excited!!!! A Flaming Lips cover??? i can't wait.

god
Kevin
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000