Guitar Help?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2001 :  11:53:18 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Sorry for posting this in two forums...

I'm looking at getting a Schecter Scorpion Tribal guitar. Its a baritone guitar.

I've actually been tuning my les pauls down to C# F# B E G# C# for a while with my band, which is harder music, and I want to go even lower. Drop D in C# tuning is actually drop B....so I'm thinking that Drop D in Bari tuning is actually Drop A...low as all hell, and sweet as all hell for demonic metal; low-ass tuned demonic metal.

Musiciansfriend.com has them for 500.00, just wondering if anyone knows much about the guitar, or if I can get it cheaper somewhere else.

Thanks,
Adam

And on the 8th day God created the art of war...and laughing, planned the end.

Email: Guitar_Boy1@yahoo.com

AIM: GuitarGuy305

Fleabass76
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1026 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2001 :  12:08:41 AM  Show Profile  Send Fleabass76 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
A friend of mine, who's Saint Jude here, just slapped some baritone strings on his strat...or was it the tele? well whatever. It worked fine on a normal guitar.

"People always tell you to color inside the lines, [but] who drew the lines in the first place? [Think about that.]" -Victor Wooten
Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2001 :  12:12:03 AM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, Ive thought about that, I have these electric strings, that are really freaking thick, like .52, or .54 on the low E string, that work great for low tunings. Problem is that I have songs in standard too, and only one working electric right now (my epi les paul died). And it would be a abitch to tune differently for every song. The Bari would allow me to simply change guitars for different songs.

Adam

Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2001 :  12:39:48 AM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
If you're looking for a baritone electric, you might take a look at Danelectro... they make one for about $250 that by the time you run it through your death-metal/holy-shriek-of-satan-distortion setup you probably would never notice a difference. Then you could take the other $250 and put it towards a pedal or something. I've seen it a million times at Guitar center and finally picked it up for a few minutes a couple of months ago... feels like a freakin tank. Anyway, just a thought.
-J

Go to Top of Page

Isaac
Chatterbox

USA
461 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2001 :  09:57:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Plus I think if you just put fat strings and tune a regular guitar down the intonation is gonna be waaay the fuck off. The Baritons also have longer necks and more distance between the fretts. I've played that Dano also, it seemed like a pretty nice gutiar to me, and ya can't beat the price. If I gave a shit about tuning down i'd be all over that baby.

Isaac

"And when King Alexander saw the breadth of his domain he wept for there were no more worlds to conquer"
Go to Top of Page

Isaac
Chatterbox

USA
461 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2001 :  10:01:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh if your really hell bent on scoring that Schecter then you can read a user review of it at:

http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/Data4/Schecter/Scorpian-01.html

I doubt you'd be able to find one on Ebay, but it might be worth a look. I'm pretty sure the Schecter website has a store finder on it, so maybe you could find a dealer in your area and go try out the guitar and shop around for a lower price.

Isaac

"And when King Alexander saw the breadth of his domain he wept for there were no more worlds to conquer"
Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2001 :  3:00:06 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the help. That review sounded pretty good. I'll have to try and find a Dano bari around me somewhere to play...I dont know though...I think I need an evil looking guitar, as well as evil sounding. :)

Adam

Go to Top of Page

Isaac
Chatterbox

USA
461 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2001 :  3:51:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Those Dano's are definatly not evil looking. Quite sissy if you ask me, so maybe you would be better off with the Schecter.

What I don't get about that review is the reviewer gave it like all 9's and an 8 but somehow overall it got a 10. Someone's math ain't adding up properly.

Isaac

Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2001 :  4:31:28 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:

What I don't get about that review is the reviewer gave it like all 9's and an 8 but somehow overall it got a 10. Someone's math ain't adding up properly.

Yeah, thats what I was thinking :)

Adam

Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2001 :  4:33:39 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Actually, I just remembered. A friend mentioned that I might just buy a 7-string, and remoove the high e string, then tune it to baritone, which really just means tuning the G to F#. Any thoughts on that? I thought it was a quasi original idea.

Adam

Go to Top of Page

Isaac
Chatterbox

USA
461 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2001 :  09:03:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm pretty sure the intonation would still be messed up, I don't think that'd be any different then putting fat strings on a 6-string and tuning down.

Isaac

Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2001 :  09:48:08 AM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I would definitely go with a baritone... if you just go for the heavy strings on a regular electric and tune down you are going to be looking at some mad neck adjustments. You've got to figure that there is a reason that they make an entirely new instrument in order to do that instead of just puting bari strings on something like a a Les Paul.
-J

Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2001 :  11:30:19 AM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I'll probably go for that baritone when I can scrape some money together. I still think that the 7 string idea would work, in theory. I mean, a 7 string is tuned B E A D G B E, anyway, and baritone tuning is B E A D F# B. So if you took off the high e from a 7 string, and tuned the G string down to F#, there you go, baritone tuning. And as far as I know, 7 strings are made so that the low B's intonation is just as good as the rest of the guitar, so you'd think that would work. The only string that you'd be tuning down would be the G string, and its only half a step. That said....I still think I'm going to go for a baritone :)

Adam

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000