Friends Aboard the Space Pod
 Memento
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2001 :  7:13:43 PM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
My roomies and I watched Memento last and wow, it was certainly good, but I'm not quite sure I understand the ending. There is a one second shot of his lying with his wife where he has a new tatoo saying, "I did it". That seen as well as a few other things confuses the hell outta me. Anyways it was still a damn fine film the way it plays out in reverse. Line of the movie: "Let's see what am I doing here... oh Im chasing this guy... (shot fired)... no, he chasing me!"

We're gonna watch Blow tonight, but if anyone want to offer their take on the ending to Momento... by all means, share!

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2001 :  7:23:07 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Memento is AWESOME!! Love that film, anyone who likes it really should investigate the directors earlier film that got him the deal to do Memento. I think it is called The Following. I saw it in the theater. I am not even sure if it is out on vid or not. It is a different story but the same structure. Very Kewl!! You can tell it was an indie film, but I like that about it. Check it out.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

Xar666
Yak Addict

USA
546 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2001 :  8:02:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Joe Pantoliano's character pretty much spells it out. You have to think about his dialog and then put the film in the correct order in your head. Great film.

-Xar666

We're going to Vegas to croak a scag baron named Savage Henry. I've known him for years but he ripped us off. And you know what that means...
Go to Top of Page

Isaac
Chatterbox

USA
461 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2001 :  09:52:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think Blow was one of the worst movies I've ever seen. The whole movie seemed to me like George's distorted version of what happened to make himself seem like a saint, his mom and x-wife seem like complete bitches, and his daughter feel guilty for not visiting him.

I think Johnny Depp is an amazing actor though, hopefully he'll pick more movies like Edward Scissorhands in the future hehe. Speaking of which, is there anyone besides me who thinks Winonna Ryder is insanley sexy?

Isaac

"And when King Alexander saw the breadth of his domain he wept for there were no more worlds to conquer"
Go to Top of Page

Black Lotus
Fluffy-Esque

Burkina Faso (Upper Volta)
1043 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2001 :  10:01:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Black Lotus's Homepage  Send Black Lotus an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Speaking of which, is there anyone besides me who thinks Winonna Ryder is insanley sexy?

Isaac

"And when King Alexander saw the breadth of his domain he wept for there were no more worlds to conquer"

I used to ahve a thing for her ... but I'm more in tune with Salma 'Sexy Mexi' Hayek :) She is drop dead gorgeous ... rawr!

-----------------------
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those that falseley believe they are free."
Go to Top of Page

Isaac
Chatterbox

USA
461 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2001 :  10:07:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think I just have a thing for sarcastic, pale, dark haired women. Becasue i'm also very attracted to like, Faruza Balk, Jenene Garafalo and Daria.

Isaac

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2001 :  01:18:09 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hey Kevin, I thought it was funny that you clued me into Vanilla Skys humble beginnings and when you brought up Momento, I clued you into its humble indie beginnings. Check it out. I definitely feel like you do about originals and remakes. Same situation here, both good films. I think with a great plot it is hard to go wrong. Indies will always be better because there is less hollywood input telling them to make it accessible and pedestrian. More Blood Sweat and Tears go into the indies so I think they end up with more of a soul than the big hollywood remakes. That doesn't mean you can't enjoy both. It is always kewl to see what spawned something else. Discovering the inspiration. That has led me to many kewl and unusual discoveries.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2002 :  3:02:08 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Joe Pantoliano's character pretty much spells it out. You have to think about his dialog and then put the film in the correct order in your head. Great film.

-Xar666

We're going to Vegas to croak a scag baron named Savage Henry. I've known him for years but he ripped us off. And you know what that means...

Who is Joe Pantoliano?

Adam

There's a lot more to music than notes on a page.

I am Ion, the priest of the inner sanctuary. I submit myself to an unendurable torment. I dismembered myself, and I have become spirit.

Email: Guitar_Boy1@yahoo.com

AIM: GuitarGuy305
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2002 :  4:56:44 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
You may know Joe better as Cypher/Mr Reagan, the turncoat who screwed everyone over in The MATRIX. Here is a link to a picture of him and a list of the 80 films he has been in, not counting 20 some odd TV appearances. I am sure you will be able to find something you recognize him from.

http://us.imdb.com/Name?Pantoliano,+Joe

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2002 :  6:10:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
not momento.
memento
mEmento

get it?

momento = moment (in spanish)
memento = A reminder of the past; a keepsake (American Heritage Dictionary)

http://www.honolulumarathon.org (I ran under that sign!)
Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2002 :  02:51:05 AM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
American Heritage Dictionaries kick ass. And they do it for more than a momento...I'd even keep one as a memento for kids (if I ever buy any) they are so awesome...

-Jason-

I am a servant of the power behind the nothing.
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2002 :  11:48:49 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Well Teri if you will notice GRAMOUR QUEEN,(by the way,I know how to spell GRAMMER, It is a joke on Glamour Queen)I spelled it right in my first post. But after seeing it spelled the other by everyone else I began to doubt myself. I did spell MATRIX right, so NAAA!!

Why is spelling so important to you? Is it because U were the spelling bee champion? Spelling aside,I think everyone got the point. Maybe you should become a book editor. Then you can spend all day correcting spelling. HEHE Luv YA!!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2002 :  12:19:24 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Isn't it GRAMMAR??

Adam

I am Ion, the priest of the inner sanctuary. I submit myself to an unendurable torment. I dismembered myself, and I have become spirit.

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2002 :  12:28:00 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
yes Adam, it is. But you weren't supposed to say anything, I wanted to see my sister give me a bunch of grief. That was the joke. HAHA Oh Well.(sigh)

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2002 :  12:40:36 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Ah shit...I'm sorry..LOL

BTW, I saw that link you posted to IMDB.com, do you go there a lot, or ever post on their message boards?

Sorry for messing up your plan hehe.

Adam

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2002 :  12:54:15 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I go there all the time,(I am a huge movie buff, and it is a great reference tool, especially for actor and director info) but THIS is the only message board I post or look at. Don't worry about spoiling the joke, it is the nature of the message board. I still think she will say something about it. Expecialy aftir all this chater aboot it afterwOrds!!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2002 :  1:03:55 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I love the IMDB for stuff like behind the scence info, and info on deleted scenes and stuff. The only thing that sucks is sometimes I'll read about a deleted scene, then go rent the DVD, and its NOT included on the deleted scenes!! Like this scene in Ghostbusters with Ecto-1 burning up a parking ticket as the cop put it on the windshield, its not on the Ghostbusters DVD.

But yeah, you can get a lot of cool info there. And the message boards help with movies like Memento, where you may have questions or something about the plot or whatever. There was one guy on there that saw the movie like 4 times in one day, and took extensive notes LOL. But then I got to take the easy way out by just reading his summation of the movie, and what a lot of it meant :)

It's good for quotes and stuff too, and the search function is awesome.

Adam

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2002 :  1:25:30 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I know what you mean. I could spend all day on there. But since I spend all day on here. I don't get to spend as much time there as I would like. HEHE

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2002 :  1:42:27 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Same here, I spend most of my online time on this site, other than this I have to pick and choose where else I go. And even when I go to other sites, I keep refreshing this one in another window to see if anyones replied to my post(s). LOL

Adam

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2002 :  2:24:03 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Well then I won't reply if I am keeping you from your work or other sites. HEHE (Woops, looks like by not replying I replied. Whoa! is anyone getting a feeling of Deja Vu!?)

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2002 :  2:27:51 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Nah, todays one of my days off from work, and other than that I dont do anything constructive online besides come here :)

Adam

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2002 :  2:45:55 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
OK, I guess it's safe to reply today then.

POST NEW REPLY
(ding)

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2002 :  2:54:46 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Post away!!

Adam

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2002 :  3:13:43 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I did!! Look above! It's kinda like the movie Memento(TERI), you have to start at the end and work your way back to the beginning. What a coicidence, HUH?

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2002 :  12:08:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:

And they do it for more than a momento...I'd even keep one as a memento for kids

LOL

Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2002 :  12:11:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I'm still laughing. That was totally fun to read (all the way from Jason's momento/memento post.

Thanks for the entertainment. I like IMDB too.

teri :)

p.s. Many thanks to Adam for giving shit to Fluffy on my behalf. I'll save some for later.

Go to Top of Page

LizT
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1687 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2002 :  12:22:43 AM  Show Profile  Send LizT an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I think Blow was one of the worst movies I've ever seen.

I haven't seen the movie. Am I going got get a complex here? One of the docs I work with told me I look like the actress in the movie... (He said the thin one.) Just the title kinda worries me with the comparison!!!
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2002 :  12:28:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
no no! You're thinking of the other Blow movie! I told you to get rid of it from your hard drive!

Go to Top of Page

LizT
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1687 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2002 :  12:33:33 AM  Show Profile  Send LizT an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I saw Momento and I liked it. I'd like to watch it again. It's always great to watch a good movie a second time around! Or 3rd, 4th, 5th time and so on........................
Go to Top of Page

LizT
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1687 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2002 :  12:39:26 AM  Show Profile  Send LizT an AOL message  Reply with Quote
LOL! aren't you very quick with the wit!!!

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2002 :  03:51:55 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
And they do it for more than a momento...I'd even keep one as a memento for kids (if I ever buy any)

Hey Teri, I think you left out the funniest part of that quote!
quote:
(if I ever buy any)

That had me LMAO! If I every buy any kids!! HEHE

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2002 :  01:36:13 AM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Finally watched Momento or Memento or whatever the hell it's called...

It was ... well, yeah, it was.

quote:

There is a one second shot of his lying with his wife where he has a new tatoo saying, "I did it".

...I believe the tatoo says "I've Done It." I mean, he's not promoting a song off "Everyday", or anything, unless there is some REALLY abstruse promo/advertising going on.....

-Jason-

Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2002 :  01:39:34 AM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm still laughing. That was totally fun to read (all the way from Jason's momento/memento post.

I didn't see this till just now...glad you liked it...I do my best...

-Jason-

Go to Top of Page

diggin
Is Anybody Here?

22 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2002 :  12:51:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just watched this movie with my best friend last week. We meant to rent 12 Monkeys, but we got memento by mistake (long story :). I thought it was great. I love the part where he says "Let's see what am I doing here? Oh, Im chasing this guy. No, he chasing me!" hilarious stuff.

Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2002 :  01:40:02 AM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I finally had time to bring "Following" home from work. I only thought it was OK. Nowhere near as good Memento, but still better than a lot of the movies out there right now.

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2002 :  05:30:13 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Wow Kevin, I was totally blown away by it. I thought it was great.(Of course that is only MY opinion) What didn't you like about it? I really liked the gritty-ness of it. I really enjoyed it.(This is a comment) Well if you didn't like it, you didn't like it. I certainly wouldn't want to try and brainwash you into thinking it is an awesome movie. Glad you gave it a shot, sorry you didn't find it as interesting as I did. Maybe next time.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2002 :  6:43:24 PM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Just thought I'd bring this to the top since I just watched Memento. That really was a GREAT movie... so all you sucka's that haven't seen it, go rent it!
-J

Go to Top of Page

drummerboy82
Chatterbox

USA
118 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2002 :  6:53:18 PM  Show Profile  Send drummerboy82 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
i agree, very awesome movie!! and if you havent seen Mulholland Dr. yet, deffinetly see that one. You'll be confused the first time, but the second you might get it....

Temporaryism has been the black plague, and Jesus of our age -Incubus
Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2002 :  6:58:56 PM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Is that the movie with Jeff Bridges and Tim Robbins?
-J

Go to Top of Page

drummerboy82
Chatterbox

USA
118 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2002 :  7:34:37 PM  Show Profile  Send drummerboy82 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Is that the movie with Jeff Bridges and Tim Robbins?
-J

no, Mullholand Dr had a lot of unknown actors, kind of an indie film...

Go to Top of Page

Saint Jude
Alien Abductee

USA
2144 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2002 :  5:51:19 PM  Show Profile  Send Saint Jude an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I apalogize if this takes long for dial up users to laod, but here is the explenation for mulholland drive. and it wasnt an indi film, David Lynch (writer director) is very well known and respected. Twin peaks, lost highway,... ring a bell?

I highly doubt anyone will actually read the whole paper, but i did it for college and felt those of u who have seen the flick might enjoy it.

Mulholland Drive

Mulholland Drive is a movie that plays with the audience’s perception of characters, and time line. It does this in such a great way that it forces the average audience member to say “Did anyone understand that movie” to the entire audience after the film ends. But it did not allow that same audience member to think long and hard about it and finally come to some sort of understanding of the film.

There are several different interpretations of what exactly happened in Mulholland Drive, but I found that my original one that I had the day after the film is the one that I like the most, and feel makes the most sense. I might get a bit jumbled in explaining the movie, so I will try to organize it in chronological order of the film, then explain the big picture after words.

In the opening scene, we see a group of dancers doing their thing, and in this scene there are some images of a blond haired girl (who we later learn is Betty) and an elderly couple. At this point in the movie we do not really know what to make of these images so we basically just forget them the first time we see it. Then as that scene starts to fade we can see a close up of a pillow and the camera falls into it. This is important to remember in the big picture.

Then after the camera fades to dark we see the limo driving along a back road, then eventually gets into the crash with the Brunette (Rita). Then she wanders from the accident and finds her way to Betty. When Betty and Rita look through Rita’s’ purse, they find a nice amount of money, and a blue triangle shaped key. Both of these will be important again in the future.

Then at this point there are a few side stories; the first one is about a man (Wilkins) who appears to be a hired killer. He offs his friend, and two others, and makes his way out with a black book. He will be relatively important later in the movie. A second side story is about two police officers in a restaurant named Winkies. One of which speaks of having ‘nightmares’, (a key word that help explains things later) about a man behind the dinner who is “doing all of this”. When the two of them go back to see, the one who has had the nightmares see his man who is doing this, and has a hart attack. This event will be needed later on too.

Then the third side story that is a bit more important and lengthy is the one of Adam Kesher. He is a director whose movie gets canceled by a pair of brothers who want an actress named Camilla Rhodes. They show a picture to him of a blond haired girl, not the same as betty, later on I might refer to this character as Blond #2 to clear up confusion. Anyway, Adam leaves the meeting with the Castigliane brothers and heads home to find his wife in bed with Billy Ray Cyrus… or rather his character Gene. Adam gets angry pours a can of left over pink pant that was in the garage on her jewelry. Billy defends her and tosses Adam out. Adam then heads off to a hotel. This event will be used later to help clear up a little confusion, as will most of the events I speak of.

Then we go back to the story of Rita and her memory loss. She and Betty discover that she was headed for Mulholland Drive and find out if there was an accident recently in that road. To do so they use the phone outside Winkies where the Cops were at earlier. They find that there indeed was and then look in a paper while eating at Winkies. While doing this, the waitress comes over with the nametag Diane. Which jogs Rita’s memory of the name Diane Selwyn. They call her house and get an answering machine, it isn’t Rita but she recognizes the voice. I think this is perhaps the point where David Lynch makes us feel like idiots the most when we figure the movie out later.

Now the story goes back Adam for a bit. He is told to go see “The Cowboy” to talk about getting his film back. To get it back all he has to do is cast Camilla Rhodes in his movie. So Adam says he will do this and leaves, and before he leaves the Cowboy tells Adam that if he does good he will see one more time, if he does good he will see him two more times. This is interesting in that we do see the Cowboy two more times after this in the film, but neither of which he is talking to Adam.

So now Betty goes to her rehearsal, and does a good job. She then is taken to a set to see a casting call. Here she sees Adam and vice versa. Then Camilla Rhodes (Blonde #2) has her rehearsal, and gets the job.

Then after Betty returns from the casting call, she and Rita go over to Diane Selwyns’ house to try to find out some information about the crash and who Rita is. When they go there, they meet one of her neighbors, (who is named in the credits as Women in #12) and hear that Diane hasn’t been around for a while. Rita and Betty then break into Diane’s apartment to find a dead body on the bed. They then return to Betty’s’ aunts house and get Rita a wig for some reason that I do not really understand. They then express their love for each other and head off to Club Silencio. Which in Spanish means Silence. At this club we basically learn what the Film is about, but do not realize it at this time. The man at the beginning keeps saying there is no band, but we hear the music. Or in other words, that it is an illusion. After they watch the singer pass out or die, they find a blue box with a hole in it in the shape of a triangle. They then rush back home to get the key. Before Rita can put the key in the box Betty disappears. Then Rita opens the box anyway, when opened we get sucked in, then the box drops on the floor and we see Betty’s aunt walk in.

At this point in the movie most people got confused and angered at what happened. I know I did. But the most confusing parts just started. After we see Betty’s aunt, we see a few faded images and the cowboy walking in Diane’s house. He says time to wake up. Then we see Betty get up from bed, more precisely the exact pillow that we saw at the beginning of the movie. She walks to the living room, answers the door and sees the women from apart. 12 who has come to get her stuff. When She comes through the door she calls Betty Dianne. Which is confusing. Then she looks around to make sure she hasn’t left anything there, while looking we see a blue key on Betty’s coffee table. Then the woman leaves. Betty/Diane break up, and Betty/Diane starts to get jealous of Adam because she thinks Rita has taken a liking to Adam. Which is true. We see Rita, now being called Camille, on the set of Adams movie, and we see them flirting and such.

Then Betty/Diane gets angry and hires Wilkins to kill Rita/Camille. They meet at Winkies, and they see the same waitress that they Rita/Camille and Betty/Diane saw earlier in the film. Only this time her nametag says Betty rather then Diane, and he hands her a blue key. She, nor anyone in the audience, knows what it goes to. And before the Winkies scene ends Diane/Betty looks over and sees the police officer that had the nightmares.

Now Camille/Rita and Adam are getting married, and Rita/Camille wants to be nice to Betty/Diane, so she invites her to a party where they announce their marriage. On her way to the party in the limo, (same limo as in the beginning) things occur in the same order as the beginning, minus the car crash. At this party we see Coco, who I forgot to mention before. Coco was supposedly Betty/Diane’s aunts land lord. But here we learn that she is actually Adams mother. Another thing that is relatively important that we occur here is when Adam says, “So she got to keep him and I got to keep the house.” Reminding us of his Ex-wife. We then see the cowboy leave the party and we are returned to Betty/Diane sitting on her couch with a cup of coffee.

She sits and stairs at the blue key that Wilkins gave to her. Then she starts to crack and hallucinate. She imagines that the elderly couple she met on a plane ride start to attack her. She runs away from them and into her bedroom and shoots herself in the head.

Now, what one has to do is sort through all of the information given. And the way I like to sum up the movie and information is by saying “Dreams are weird.” By saying that I mean this. The opening scene is perhaps some of the dancers from Adams movie about the 50’s or whatever it was. Then Betty/Diane goes to sleep, we see the camera falling on her pillow. In this dream we get messed up memories of the past. The limo ride is the best example. Then when the Cowboy wakes her up she is in the present time period. Her neighbor comes and picks up her stuff, she makes coffee and walks to the chair. Then she has a flash back. When she climbs over the chair instead of the coffee she has a glass of rum or something instead, showing that this is not one continuous scene. From this point until Betty/Diane is sitting on the couch with the coffee is all a flashback to reality. Within this reality we learn the real names of all of the characters. Brunette – Camille, Blond – Diane, Blond waitress – Betty, Blonde #2 Actress – No name given.

So we can then sort though everything that happened and start to figure out the real story line. Of what I have determined, it is like this. Pretty much everything in Betty/Diane’s dream did not actually happen. It was just all mixed up names and events. But the one thing in it that did happen was the events that revolved around Adam.
Now there are too many little things that connect this theory together for me to explain. The images of Diane/Betty’s phone, Camilla’s/Rita’s and Camilla/No name’s actress pictures matching, there are dozens of little things like this. And going back a few pages to the reason why I think Lynch made us look like fools when Betty and Rita called Diane was because even though it wasn’t Rita’s voice, which is what we were all expecting, we didn’t notice that it was Betty’s. Which again builds on my theory.

I doubt that anyone could give an exact answer to the whole movie. Some of the things my theory leaves out is the fact that Rita/Camilla and Betty/Diane see Diane’s dead body in her bed. There are other theories that they are both ghosts of some sort. But I don’t think this is plausible. And perhaps we will never really know the answer to the question. Because David Lynch himself said that he will not give an answer. Perhaps this means there can be more then one, and I think that I found one of them.

- Without you, without you everything falls apart
Without you, it's not as much fun to pick up the pieces.
Go to Top of Page

drummerboy82
Chatterbox

USA
118 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2002 :  10:27:45 PM  Show Profile  Send drummerboy82 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
good sum up scott. But the reason in the beginning that we see the dancers is b/c Betty/Diana won a jitterbug contest, which is why she originally came to California, not to become an actor like in the dream. And the people in the beginning are dancing the jitterbug. at least that's what i think it is....still an awesome fucking movie. i dont think i'll see one that ever out-does it, unless David Lynch does another fucked up movie :)

Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2002 :  03:19:52 AM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Has anyone had a chance to see the new movie Insomnia? (same director as Memento)? The one with Al Pacino and Robin Williams? It is supposed to be really good. The shitty part is that they were showing it for free at my school but I had to work that night. GRRRRRR. It is made from a foriegn movie with the same name, so I might check that on out first.

Go to Top of Page

Isaac
Chatterbox

USA
461 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2002 :  11:01:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I saw Insomnia last weekend, and I liked it a lot. Really well done, interesting plot, keeps ya guessing.

Isaac
----------------------------------------

"The dark side I sense in you"
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000