Friends Aboard the Space Pod
 Anyone seen what "Ginger" is?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2001 :  2:42:39 PM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
[RANT] All I can say is "wow." Some 9 months ago we were promised a completely new invention that would revolutionize the world. It was promised to be bigger than the internet, and that cities would be erected around it. I can now say with 100% certainty that I have been witness to the single biggest crock of shit that has ever come into existence. This puts all other delusionary claims to shame. I am dumbfounded that such successful businessmen would invest in this. Steve Jobs and Jeff Bezos have just lost any inkling of respect that they may have once had. If you've not seen it, it's an electric scooter, called Segway. The ONLY innovation is that it is self balancing... which isn't really something that's going to change the world so far as I can see. These things have next to no market in rural areas. Nobody is going to use them when it is particularly hot or cold outside... not to mention raining, snowing, windy, excessive pollen etc. etc. etc... Plus they're too slow and their range is too short for most people to have any use for them anyway. The inventor obviously has the dilusion that most everyone lives and works within a couple mile radius in downtown urban areas. Even if someone DOES live close enought to work, what happens if they want to stop and pick up some groceries or dry cleaning on the way home? Do they first have to travel home, pick up their car, go back out, and come back again? What if the weather changes quickly while someone is at the place they've used this to travel to? Are they just to be stranded somewhere if they are wearing something expensive that is not to get wet?

The internet claim is lunacy beyond scale... and the "cities will be erected around it" claim is just plain dumb. These things only go 12 mph, and have a range of 11 miles. That would make for an awfully small city. You've got to figure that if a city were designed for pedestrian type navigation, roads for cars would be so inefficient they might as well not exist. Not to mention that you don't see many cities just "popping up" anymore. And what would people do when the weather turns bad? Are they just going to design bubble cities? The only use I can really see for these things is for the elderly and the disabled. They are supposed to be portable, but at 80 pounds, I don't know too many women that would be able to budge one, let alone pick one up and put it in their trunk. Plus who is honestly going to want to spend $3k on a scooter? These things already exist without the balancing thing for like 200 bucks. You could buy one that you've seen in the Sharper Image for your entire family, then take them on a few day vacation with their non-balancing electric scooters for less than one "Segway." Or better yet, how about a bicycle? They are cheaper, lighter, faster, have a longer range, perfectly environmentally safe, and they yield healthier users. Check out their website ( www.segway.com ) and read what they're saying. The "see segway in action" video is really quite funny. I am just dumbfounded by the self-delusion of the idea that just because this was all hyped up a year ago that it's going to change the world. [/RANT]
-J

Isaac
Chatterbox

USA
461 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2001 :  3:11:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah that thing was definatly overhyped, but thats just a creative marketing plan from the asshole who made it. Anyway the thing definatly has applications, I can see airports, big companies, and postmen using them, but I doubt they'll replace cars or walking. If they did god help us the american public would grow even fatter and lazier.

Isaac

"And when King Alexander saw the breadth of his domain he wept for there were no more worlds to conquer"
Go to Top of Page

Black Lotus
Fluffy-Esque

Burkina Faso (Upper Volta)
1043 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2001 :  3:51:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Black Lotus's Homepage  Send Black Lotus an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Indirectly, it may not change the world .. but think of it this way. The technology can, and probably will.

A two wheel scooter that balances itself with a series of gyroscopes, I'm assuming, can provide technology for two legged robots that walk seemelessly, like a coordinated person. It can provide the grounds for a bicycle that children can learn on, or motorcycles for that matter. Speaking of motorcycles, you could probably derive some sort of balance correction system in a motorcycle to prevent crashes from loss of balance and stability - couple that with traction control and a speed limiter based on angle of lean, and you'd have a very safe bike.

I could go on ... but that's just off the top of my head as far as future uses for the technology. But, that's just how I think. Something may be completely stupid and over hyped, but look at what it can provide to other industries and techologies.

Imagine this ... an SUV that CANNOT be flipped over by taking a turn too fast. A gyro and speed limiter can take over, slow the car down and rebalance it so it doesn't roll. Now THAT would be cool, especialy since my wife drives and SUV.

~Dave

-----------------------
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those that falseley believe they are free."
Go to Top of Page

Black Lotus
Fluffy-Esque

1043 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2001 :  3:54:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Black Lotus's Homepage  Send Black Lotus an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Just to add one more ... for you all in California ... buildings that can maintain their balance in the event of an earthquake and not topple over

-----------------------
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those that falseley believe they are free."
Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2001 :  4:04:51 PM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Believe it or not they already have that Lotus... giant (like 10 ton) weights in the top stories that balance according to motion of buildings. And by all means, balancing technology could have great uses, but I guess what I was trying to say is that I resent being yanked around like that.
-J

Go to Top of Page

Black Lotus
Fluffy-Esque

1043 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2001 :  4:07:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Black Lotus's Homepage  Send Black Lotus an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:

... I resent being yanked around like that.
-J

I feel your pain man.

-----------------------
Go to Top of Page

Isaac
Chatterbox

USA
461 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2001 :  10:13:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did ya'll see the Infographic in The Onion this week? Funny Shit.

Isaac

"And when King Alexander saw the breadth of his domain he wept for there were no more worlds to conquer"
Go to Top of Page

Poparad
Try A Little Harder

USA
80 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2001 :  12:20:06 PM  Show Profile  Send Poparad an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I think that the "Segway" has a great opportunity to revolutionize everybody's way of life... particulary it will revolutionize the way people are hit by cars.

Go to Top of Page

Black Lotus
Fluffy-Esque

1043 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2001 :  12:22:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Black Lotus's Homepage  Send Black Lotus an AOL message  Reply with Quote
LMFAO!!! The Onion is the shit!

-----------------------
Go to Top of Page

LizT
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1687 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2001 :  1:53:29 PM  Show Profile  Send LizT an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I guess that is the ultimate gift for lazy people. Then they probably wouldn't use it because it's too damn heavy to lug up and down stairs. The concept is good, but the average Joe Smoe can't waste their hard earned money on that thing!

Just a comment on motorcycles, I think most accidents happen because they are not seen by the drivers in motor vehicles. Also, bikes have a much shorter stopping distance than cars, so they get hit that way too. And for the angle of the lean, thats an awesome thrill on a bike going into a turn with your knee almost kissing the ground! I know I'm crazy! LOL! I miss ridng very much.....
Go to Top of Page

Fleabass76
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1026 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2001 :  5:59:03 PM  Show Profile  Send Fleabass76 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, The Onion freaking rocks. Are you from WI Isaac? Cuz that's the only place I've seen it..I think it's based out of Madison right?

I think that Cities should have retractable domes cuz I just moved up to Minneapolis for college and when it snows it's horrible. Snow belongs in the country, not the city! Just my 2 cents, not that it matters since it will never happen, but since the topic came up earlier, It just reminded me that a dome was the first thing I thought of when it snowed up here last month...

"People always tell you to color inside the lines, [but] who drew the lines in the first place? [Think about that.]" -Victor Wooten
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2001 :  7:16:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
careful. the people who made the Segway might steal that idea from you. Next thing you know, you'll be flying into New York and all you see is a big black ball.

Go to Top of Page

Fleabass76
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1026 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2001 :  7:29:54 PM  Show Profile  Send Fleabass76 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Yes, they didn't mean cities would be built around the Segway, they meant DOMES!

"People always tell you to color inside the lines, [but] who drew the lines in the first place? [Think about that.]" -Victor Wooten
Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2001 :  8:28:34 PM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
The thing is that you know that the first place most of us are going to see these things is going to be lazy asses riding them to college classes instead of walking... it's going to be hard not give in to the temptation to throw a stick on the sidewalk as seen in Big Daddy...

"There's a stick.... there."

-J

Go to Top of Page

Fleabass76
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1026 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2001 :  9:38:10 PM  Show Profile  Send Fleabass76 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
You gotta watch where you're goin pal!

OMG homeless guy (Steve Buscemi) in the cart! He's my fav non-major character ever

Go to Top of Page

Isaac
Chatterbox

USA
461 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2001 :  09:09:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I dunno if your stick idea would work to well silky, the whole point of the thing is that it keeps its balance hehe. Maybe if just put a string at like 6ft to swat them off, like the Ewoks did against the speeders in Return of the Jedi.

Yeah the Onion is definatly a Madison invention, but now its syndicated out of new york which isn't quite as cool but ah well.

Isaac

Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2001 :  2:38:22 PM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
They made a pretty funny joke on SNL about that on the news segment, something like, "experts say "IT" will revolutionize the way people get hit by cars"

Go to Top of Page

Dave S
Chatterbox

USA
145 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2001 :  10:06:04 PM  Show Profile  Send Dave S an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Yeah the Onion used to be based out of Madison, some kids invented it back when my mom was going to school there in the '60s, and named it after the student union.

Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2001 :  01:40:00 AM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
We don't love the ho's. But really, the girl in the picture (circa Isaac's post) is freekin' hot. I'd probably buy the Segway or whatever the hell it's called if she came with it. Good hips, good hair, big strong calf muscles......hell yeah, I'd buy it. And if she came with a pint of Southern Comfort...HELL yeah.

-Jason-

I am a servant of the power behind the nothing.
Go to Top of Page

Isaac
Chatterbox

USA
461 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2001 :  10:11:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Her "T" zone looks a little oily to me, and we can't really see her breasts which we all know is the true deciding factor in a womans attractivness. Still I'd definatly shag her, especially if I was on a segway right behind her and she was in that same possition.

I just had the coolest idea, I think i'm gonna e-mail MTV. The guys from Jackass seriously need to get their hands on one of these things! Can you imagine them ramping a segway into a tree or over an aquaduct. That'd be fucking hilarious!

Isaac

Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2001 :  6:53:56 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I thought I'd bring the picture...er....I mean this post back up. That way, it'll be easier for me to look at...er...get to that girl...I mean, this thread...

-Jason-

Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2001 :  8:29:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
what are you talking about? just being seen with that thing drops her beauty and intellegence.

Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2001 :  8:33:50 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Nope, it doesn't affect her beauty, and it shows me that she has enough intelligence to know that if someone asks to pay her for standing for one picture on some dumbass piece of shit, that she should say yes.

I think that's somewhat intelligent. But Isaac was right, her T-zone does look a little oily.

-Jason-

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000