TRelated Topics
 Tim's new Flying V guitar:
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2007 :  1:12:48 PM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote

god
Kevin

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2007 :  3:04:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's easily one of the most beautiful guitars I've ever seen. And TR plays it like it's a part of him.

Steve Hackett: "I'm my own opening act, you see."
Tim (before "Faceoff"): "Peace, love....and SEX!"
cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

Ranting Thespian
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2007 :  01:19:07 AM  Show Profile  Send Ranting Thespian an AOL message  Reply with Quote
It's a very interesting look for a Flying V. One good thing, it's made out of wood, not metal, fiberglass, or graphite. Plus you can actualy see the wood grain. Also, it's a true Gibson not an Ibanez.

I actualy normaly don't like Flying Vs, but I'll definately give it a listen if Tim plays it.

Not communicating can hurt more than any word that can be said -

Nick
-the Ranting Thespian
Go to Top of Page

jsemon2
Yak Addict

USA
920 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2007 :  09:35:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit jsemon2's Homepage  Send jsemon2 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
never been a fan of guitars like this...... but to each his own.

OUT FOR LUNCH
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2007 :  12:30:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wasn't the biggest fan until I a) saw TR's and b) heard him play it.

Steve Hackett: "I'm my own opening act, you see."
Tim (before "Faceoff"): "Peace, love....and SEX!"
cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

gnome44
Yak Addict

749 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2007 :  1:02:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I always thought they were pretty bad-ass...especially on the occasions that Jimi Hendrix would wail on his...
Go to Top of Page

jsemon2
Yak Addict

USA
920 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2007 :  3:00:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit jsemon2's Homepage  Send jsemon2 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
i like the classic mold of a guitar. electrics you can make it any shape you want and it will put out the same sound. im just not a fan of the custom looks, even if tim plays it badass. would sound the same to me on any other gibson.

OUT FOR LUNCH
Go to Top of Page

gnome44
Yak Addict

749 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2007 :  3:25:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can see where you're coming from...but it's not like the Flying V is some new, custom shape (such as VanHalen or Joe Satriani or something).

It's been around since 1958.

I can't figure out how to post pictures (I'm an idiot) but there some really cool ones with Jimi Hendrix and his Flying V. Too cool...too cool...
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2007 :  6:19:36 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
As great as Kev's pics are, they don't do the beauty of this guitar justice. You have to see it in person. Not sure how to describe it but it's shinier, like glossy red. Absolutely beautiful to look at. The wood grain is one of TR's fave things about the look of it. As for the sound, as I mentioned before, TR says it doesn't sound like any other guitar he has ever played. He adores the sound he gets with it. Reminds him of so many of the guitar sounds he liked on records he listened to growing up.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson
Go to Top of Page

Ranting Thespian
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2007 :  02:14:10 AM  Show Profile  Send Ranting Thespian an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jsemon2

. . . would sound the same to me on any other gibson.

I have to say, I played a Les Paul Classic, and it doesn't sound anything like my Les Paul Studio. I also have played an SG, doesn't sound like a Les Paul at all. I also have played a Firebird, even more different, and quite a bit different handeling. I then played an ES-33? (can't remember), and it gave me a rockabilly type sound, unlike solid body Gibsons.

This is not an insult, but I question if you are really listening to the sound.

Nick
-the Ranting Thespian
Go to Top of Page

jsemon2
Yak Addict

USA
920 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2007 :  10:08:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit jsemon2's Homepage  Send jsemon2 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
maybe so, but i dont think it being in the shape of a V gives it its true sound. but then again i've been wrong before.

OUT FOR LUNCH
Go to Top of Page

Hopeful Rolling Waves
Alien Abductee

South Sandwich Islands
2154 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2007 :  10:53:36 AM  Show Profile  Send Hopeful Rolling Waves an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Dolly Dagger.

http://db.etree.org/hopefulrollingwaves/ < My Trading List
Go to Top of Page

jsemon2
Yak Addict

USA
920 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2007 :  11:03:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit jsemon2's Homepage  Send jsemon2 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
dont get me wrong, i love me some TR electric....

OUT FOR LUNCH
Go to Top of Page

Ranting Thespian
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2007 :  04:01:54 AM  Show Profile  Send Ranting Thespian an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jsemon2

maybe so, but i dont think it being in the shape of a V gives it its true sound. but then again i've been wrong before.

Oh ok, you just mean the shape. Sorry, I misunderstood. The shape does have something to do with guitars. Vibration of the strings. Some guitars are built certain ways for more sustain, which certain gibson les pauls are built for better sustain by the actualy neck and body setup and such. Some other guitars are built certain shapes and ways as well. This is only a rare case, normaly.

But yeah, the shape of the V isn't really made for anything other than look.

Sorry for misreading.

Nick
-the Ranting Thespian
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000