New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Robin
Yak Addict

USA
598 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2006 :  9:48:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
O.k. So I live in a university town full of strange and beautiful people, many of whom are rather opinionated, and show it by the bumpers of their cars,I'm not kidding some of them have like twenty stickers. I thought this might be a fun thread to start. Today I saw one that said: Witches, they're not just for burning". I have no idea why that cracks me up but there ya go! Peace, Robin

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2006 :  11:11:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I see one around town alot that has the GOP Elephant on it, and next to it: Grand Oil Party.

Steve Hackett: "I'm my own opening act, you see."
Tim (before "Faceoff"): "Peace, love....and SEX!"
cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

Ranting Thespian
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2006 :  01:02:47 AM  Show Profile  Send Ranting Thespian an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I have a few Bush ones I want to create:

1- Seperation between Bush and State

2- Don't Do (picture of George's head on a fat joint)

. . . in case you didn't get that one, it means, don't do dope.

3- (really really really bad picture of bush's face) Anyone Can Be President

I also have seen a Ribbon one that read: I Support Ribbon Makers!

Not communicating can hurt more than any word that can be said -

Nick
-the Ranting Thespian
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2006 :  06:46:45 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Glenn and Marcus gave one to Rew today that says "Official Soccer Mom" I think they are making a joke at Rew driving the minivan all the TIMe. hehe

TR is on the lookout for one for me that he says he sees all over Santa Fe. When I heard what it said I told him I had to have one:

"Visualize Turn Signals"

One of my greatest pet peeves, people who don't use their blinkers while driving.

Kewlest one I own is one that was given to me by PJK, has picture of Geronimo kneeling with a gun and says:

"America, Love It Or Give It Back"

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson
Go to Top of Page

Robin
Yak Addict

USA
598 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2006 :  3:01:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fluffy

Glenn and Marcus gave one to Rew today that says "Official Soccer Mom" I think they are making a joke at Rew driving the minivan all the TIMe.

You should totally put that in the back window of the van. I can just see the look on people's faces as you all pile out. Peace, Robin
Go to Top of Page

Robin
Yak Addict

USA
598 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2006 :  3:05:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know someone has had to have seen this I've only seen oit one time here in town,and I'd love to get one for TR. It looks all official and says "Buckle Up" and then in much smaller print: It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car.I love that. Peace, Robin
Go to Top of Page

krystal
Try A Little Harder

USA
92 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2006 :  10:06:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The last one that made me laugh out loud said "Fat people are harder to kidnap"
Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2006 :  01:43:33 AM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
i saw one of the ribbon sticker/magnet things a couple days ago. i was expecting something patriotic, or even "[insert disease the driver's relative has] support/awareness." but i got up to it and looked. and you know what it said? "support rock and roll." i could only nod and go "fuck yes." frankly, it's the only cause advertised on a car that i'd actually fight for.

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2006 :  08:48:45 AM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I saw one on a Jeep that was upside down and read, "If you can read this, please roll me back over".

Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2006 :  10:44:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I have seen that one here on base too! I thought it was so good I took a photo of it. Yesterday at a coffee shop in Heathrow I saw the back of a t-shirt that said "If you can read this, please pull me out of the snow" or something. Not sure which ski resort it was from.

teri
Twittering about the DC adventure since Dec '09...
(Micro)Blog * Photo Album
Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2006 :  2:59:25 PM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I like that Turn signal one, that is one of my biggest pet peaves as well. It seems really bad here in So. Cal, but since you guys drive all over this nation, where do think it is the worst?

The only stickers on my car right now are a Tool, and a Flaming Lips one, but the F'Lips stickers is getting really faded

god
Kevin
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2007 :  08:35:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I want the bumper sticker someone mentioned on another board I go to which said:

"Would someone please give G.W.Bush a blowjob so we can impeach him?"

LOL......but ewwwww (That someone would be my hero, LOL!)

"It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!"Friedrich Nietzsche
Go to Top of Page

rubylith
Fluffy-Esque

1915 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2007 :  11:11:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit rubylith's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Go to Top of Page

Ranting Thespian
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2007 :  01:12:13 AM  Show Profile  Send Ranting Thespian an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Opinionated, aren't we

Nick
-the Ranting Thespian
Go to Top of Page

rubylith
Fluffy-Esque

1915 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2007 :  11:41:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit rubylith's Homepage  Reply with Quote
haha you know it!
Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2007 :  12:24:51 PM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
who put all of those stickers on my car?!

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page

rubylith
Fluffy-Esque

1915 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2007 :  2:50:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit rubylith's Homepage  Reply with Quote
HAHAHA
Go to Top of Page

Ranting Thespian
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2007 :  10:48:45 PM  Show Profile  Send Ranting Thespian an AOL message  Reply with Quote
It was the ecstatic drag queen

Nick
-the Ranting Thespian
Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2007 :  09:50:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
There's one on a car parked outside my office that says "Did you have a bowl of stupid for breakfast?" (Funny thing is, that car got booted the other day. ;-)

There is a "bumper sticker" group on Flickr. (http://www.flickr.com/groups/bumperstickers) Some of them are entertaining.

Here are links to websites where you can get your own bumper stickers made:

http://www.cafepress.com/cp/customize/product.aspx?clear=true&no=90

http://www.bumperart.com/Custom.aspx

teri
Go to Top of Page

Hopeful Rolling Waves
Alien Abductee

South Sandwich Islands
2154 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2007 :  07:35:31 AM  Show Profile  Send Hopeful Rolling Waves an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I saw one the other day that said, and I shit you not, "Give WAR a chance," also with the obligatory NRA sticker in the window as well.

Fuck people! Now there's a good one.

http://db.etree.org/hopefulrollingwaves/ < My Trading List
Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2007 :  11:39:43 AM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
that bumper sticker might make sense if we haven't been giving war a chance for like, 4 years. but maybe he just likes violence. i can relate to that.

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page

Zachmozach
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1534 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2007 :  12:47:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hopeful Rolling Waves

I saw one the other day that said, and I shit you not, "Give WAR a chance," also with the obligatory NRA sticker in the window as well.

Well that was pretty much the idea behind the Iraq war and now the second troop surge. All we are saying, is give war a chance.

Go to Top of Page

Hopeful Rolling Waves
Alien Abductee

South Sandwich Islands
2154 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2007 :  9:23:34 PM  Show Profile  Send Hopeful Rolling Waves an AOL message  Reply with Quote
4 years? How about since the beginning of mankind?

Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2007 :  11:02:48 PM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
i'm sure there must have been some stretch of time in human history where no one was at war.

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2007 :  9:24:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They've done studies. I think the percentage is near 93%-95%. So 93% of human history, there has been some armed conflict between two different peoples/groups/tribes/etc.

I'm sorry I can't remember where I got that, but I don't know how they can reasonably name the figure with any degree of certainty.

cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2007 :  11:21:15 PM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
i imagine you just take the accepted point at which civilization began and take every recorded instance of war between countries, within countries, or between tribes or religion. then extrapolate a certain amount by assuming some conflicts were unrecorded.

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page

Ranting Thespian
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2007 :  11:38:51 PM  Show Profile  Send Ranting Thespian an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I like it butter-side down.

Nick
-the Ranting Thespian
Go to Top of Page

Zachmozach
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1534 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2007 :  12:53:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well it depends on when you begin human history. Since there have been anatomically correct humans for roughly 100,000 years and our history goes back to just after the agricultural revolution we have no real way of knowing at anytime except for recorded history. I guess it would require a definition of war too since I don't know if you'd count every bit of fighting as war. I'm sure fights, battles, or wars (you pick one) over resources have happened for a long time since chimps even fight over them. However I think there is a real difference between a battle or fight over a resource i.e. hunting grounds, water, and the like; and a war which to me involves more or less the idea of conquest or repelling conquest.

All I know is that I've never been in war for 100% of my life, but sadly too many people are willing or want to go to war.

Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2007 :  1:23:28 PM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
for a definition of war, i'm going to say extended instances of violence between two or more large, organized groups. this would include world wars, civil wars, wars between two or more countries, and holy wars. it would not include blood-feuds between families, gang wars, fighting between feudal lords, and ethnic cleansings (even though that is sometimes a part of, cause, or motive for a war)

humans have been around for about 100,000 years, as you say, but when do you suppose they started organizing into groups? you can't really have a war without at least 2 opposing sides, and you can't really have sides without some type of organization. a couple chimps, or humans, fighting over water or some shit isn't a war. it's a fight. if you have group a fighting group b for water, it's still just a fight. but if the battles get repeated, it becomes a war. war involves the concept of "us and them."

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2007 :  2:03:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To quote a little group called The Bags:

"Hey Cavemen Now we are a team
We'll attack those other cavemen across the stream
We'll sneak up, ready for a fight
We'll steal their skins and weapons in the dead of night
Rejoice, Cavemen rejoice!"

Anyone else a Guitar Hero fan?

cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

Zachmozach
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1534 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2007 :  5:10:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I think they were organized in groups before they were anatomically correct modern humans, but whether or not they waged war I don't know. I mean animals have groups that they defend from their own species as well as other attackers. However I think that humans or our ancestors in general were organized into tribes and groups and communities for probably at least before they became what we consider modern humans. I don't know. There could have very well been wars then too. I think I remember reading about someone's idea that Homo-sapiens killed off the Neanderthals in what could be considered war.

I don't know, but I have a feeling war wasn't really prominent until we started the agricultural revolution and really desired more resources than we had at our disposal to the point of wanting permanent control over them. Of course it seems to make sense just in that before that time people were much more nomadic than agriculturists and if they had been attacked or suffered a loss they most likely would have just moved on rather than sustain conflict. However once populations increased and the value of land and resources increased I can see more reasons to sustain conflict.

Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2007 :  10:06:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Is this starting to sound like Ishmael or is it just me?

teri
Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2007 :  12:12:38 PM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
we all know that conflict and violence began when video games were created.

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2007 :  4:48:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
True. True.

teri
Go to Top of Page

Zachmozach
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1534 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2007 :  12:15:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ya I think it got talked about more in the story of B. though.

I actually think video games make violence go down since then people get to live out there violent fantasies in a harmless fashion. That's why for the next Mario Party game I suggest actually making it a party to curb underage drinking and drug use. Let's have it be a bunch of drinking games and then you can get Mario fucked up instead of yourself.

Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2007 :  4:27:15 PM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
i disagree. firstly because there aren't any decent studies backing that claim up that i know of, and secondly because most human beings, by the time they can play video games that are more sophisticated in terms hand-eye coordination demand and overall complexity in gameplay, can discern the difference between fantasy and reality. these same arguments can be applied to claims that video games increase real life violence. if you feel more like killing or hurting someone because of a game, or less like killing or hurting someone because of a game, you might be crazy. i went around and killed every single npc player, hostile or friendly, in morrowind. it took a lot of doing, but i didn't feel any more or less full of rage than normal.

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page

Ranting Thespian
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2007 :  03:09:30 AM  Show Profile  Send Ranting Thespian an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Just thought of one to make. I am listening to Is There Anybody Out There? (The Wall Live 80-81). And this struck a chord:

Don't Leave Their Children On Their Own
Bring the Boys Back Home

That song, Bring the Boys Back Home hits home right now. I see and hear about so many people who have finished their service, start a family, only to have Bush drag them away from their young kids who need them because of a "Technicality".

Nick
-the Ranting Thespian
Go to Top of Page

Hopeful Rolling Waves
Alien Abductee

South Sandwich Islands
2154 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2007 :  08:02:04 AM  Show Profile  Send Hopeful Rolling Waves an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Upon returning ,I see I have once again driven a subject way off topic. Yes...

Go to Top of Page

Robin
Yak Addict

USA
598 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2007 :  2:42:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Happy fourth everyone, hope you're all having fun! Bumper sticker for today(saw it this morning)"Born o.k. the first TIMe" just thought I'd share...Peace, Robin
Go to Top of Page

Ranting Thespian
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2007 :  12:27:03 AM  Show Profile  Send Ranting Thespian an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Well, I ordered it, and it's on my new used Ford Taurus:

Don't Leave Their Children On Their Own
Bring the Boys Back Home

Nick
-the Ranting Thespian
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page