New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2006 :  06:13:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Fluffy, here's a planet just for you!

Astronomers Find Distant, Fluffy Planet
WASHINGTON (Sept. 14) - The largest planet ever found orbiting another star is so puffy it would float on water, astronomers said Thursday. The newly discovered planet, dubbed HAT-P-1, is both the largest and least dense of the nearly 200 worlds astronomers have found outside our own solar system.

David A. Aguilar, Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics / AP
Astronomers say HAT-P-1, which is about 450 light-years from Earth, is so puffy it would float on water.

HAT-P-1 orbits one of a pair of stars in the constellation Lacerta, about 450 light-years from Earth.

"This new planet, if you could imagine putting it in a cosmic water glass, it would float," said Robert Noyes, a research astrophysicist with the Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory. The planet, a gas giant, is probably a puffed up ball of hydrogen and helium.

HAT-P-1 is an oddball planet, since it orbits its parent star at just one-twentieth of the distance that separates Earth from our own sun. While Earth takes a year to orbit the sun, the newly found planet whips around its star once every 4.5 days.

Astronomers believe HAT-P-1 may belong to an entirely new class of planets, along with a second, smaller distant world that's also puffier than theories would have predicted, Noyes said.

Astronomers used a network of telescopes in Arizona and Hawaii to discover the planet. Its parent star is too faint to see with the naked eye but can be spied with binoculars

"It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!"Friedrich Nietzsche

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2006 :  12:58:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah ha ha ha! That's awesome Pam. That explains Fluffy, now we need to find the Tim Reynolds Planet!

Steve Hackett: "I'm my own opening act, you see."
Tim (before "Faceoff"): "Peace, love....and SEX!"
cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

jsemon2
Yak Addict

USA
920 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2006 :  3:10:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit jsemon2's Homepage  Send jsemon2 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
how long before TR gets word of this and makes a song about it?

OUT FOR LUNCH
Go to Top of Page

Robin
Yak Addict

USA
598 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2006 :  4:42:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by PJK
While Earth takes a year to orbit the sun, the newly found planet whips around its star once every 4.5 days.

Go Fluffy!!!
Go to Top of Page

Ranting Thespian
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2006 :  9:30:38 PM  Show Profile  Send Ranting Thespian an AOL message  Reply with Quote
One small step for man, one giant Fluffy Puff Marshmellow for Centner.

Not communicating can hurt more than any word that can be said -

Nick
-the Ranting Thespian
Go to Top of Page

Ranting Thespian
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2006 :  9:33:16 PM  Show Profile  Send Ranting Thespian an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arthen

Ah ha ha ha! That's awesome Pam. That explains Fluffy, now we need to find the Tim Reynolds Planet!

Nah, Tim is from a Parallel Universe where people live on Dogs in a vast giant desert with flying saucers throwing coke bottles down to confuse people.

. . . oh, and all the chocolate you can eat.

Nick
-the Ranting Thespian
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2006 :  10:43:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ranting Thespian

quote:
Originally posted by Arthen

Nah, Tim is from a Parallel Universe where people live on Dogs in a vast giant desert with flying saucers throwing coke bottles down to confuse people.

. . . oh, and all the chocolate you can eat.

You mean Invisible Pagan Underdogs...

cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

Ranting Thespian
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2006 :  11:24:03 PM  Show Profile  Send Ranting Thespian an AOL message  Reply with Quote
They are only invisible to us. Why do you think Tim has those special glasses. Plus, they are under this universe in the Parallel Universe, so they are under us, but in that universe they are equal!

Come on man, didn't you take SMWPS (Stupid Mad People With Problems School,pronouced Smawaps) like the rest of us?

Nick
-the Ranting Thespian
Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2006 :  02:57:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PJK

Hey Fluffy, here's a planet just for you!

Way cool!!!

teri
Twittering about the DC adventure since Dec '09...
(Micro)Blog * Photo Album
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2006 :  07:47:51 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Dammit!!! I have been found out. My goal of world domination is now going to be much harder as I will now be labeled an ILLEGAL ALIEN and we know what that means these daze. I'm screwed. I guess it's back to my MARSHMALLOW planet for me. And then there were NONE!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2006 :  5:48:52 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Ohhh how I long for the good old daze on the Fluffy Planet!!!!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2006 :  9:03:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fluffy

Ohhh how I long for the good old daze on the Fluffy Planet!!!!

You're really like our Superman. You've sacrificed your previous life to be among us and to save us from ourselves. Bless you Fluff-Man.

cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000