10,000 days
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2006 :  2:57:45 PM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
anyone heard the new tool cd yet? i have. it's unreal. probably the first two tracks are my favorite. i suggest checking it out.

death to false metal.

rubylith
Fluffy-Esque

1915 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2006 :  3:03:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit rubylith's Homepage  Reply with Quote
NO WAY! Awesome I'll have to check it out.
Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2006 :  3:10:47 PM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
i didn't know you were a tool fan. maybe there's hope for you yet. haha. only playing around, man.

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page

Hopeful Rolling Waves
Alien Abductee

South Sandwich Islands
2154 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2006 :  11:17:29 PM  Show Profile  Send Hopeful Rolling Waves an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I love Tool, I am all over it.

'He had a lot to say, he had a lot of nothing to say, we'll miss him.'

http://db.etree.org/hopefulrollingwaves/ < My Trading List
Go to Top of Page

Saint Jude
Alien Abductee

USA
2144 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2006 :  11:53:57 PM  Show Profile  Send Saint Jude an AOL message  Reply with Quote
its not even out yet.....

atlest not in my time zone.

THEIF!

Remember, turn off your tv. Read.
Go to Top of Page

dirtysloth
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1302 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2006 :  10:53:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just got mine. I dig the goggles.
Go to Top of Page

rubylith
Fluffy-Esque

1915 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2006 :  10:55:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit rubylith's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yea TOOL was a big part of why I'm so screwed up...heh

I'll give you the cliche line "They are the modern day Pink Floyd"

True though since not many know what they look like.
Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2006 :  2:31:28 PM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
yes. i downloaded it. i download everything first. you wouldn't buy a painting without looking at first, would you?

also, the pink floyd/tool comparision is lazy. they're both progressive certainly, but that's about it. there is no stylistic similiarity to speak off.

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2006 :  2:36:09 PM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
you wouldn't buy a painting without looking at first, would you?

If it was by Tool, yes... I would.

Anyways, saw Tool headline Coachella Sunday night. They took the stage and their first words in 3 years were, "Hello Hippies!" LOL. Awesome show. Got the cd last night at midnight. Thought about getting the new Pearl Jam and Ministry albums, but I'll wait on those, so I can fully digest 10,000 days first. The Goggles are indeed awesome... only Tool would come up with that.

god
Kevin
Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2006 :  5:29:49 PM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Man, the first track on 10,000 days kicks so much ass that I can't even move on to the rest of the album.

god
Kevin
Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2006 :  12:13:18 AM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
vicariously. yeah, it's awesome. the one after it, jambi, is my favorite, though.

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2006 :  12:16:42 AM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
is it just me, or is the 2nd track in 17/16, and then the solo in 6/4?

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page

Saint Jude
Alien Abductee

USA
2144 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2006 :  11:13:48 AM  Show Profile  Send Saint Jude an AOL message  Reply with Quote
i believe its just in a slow 3 for most of the song, or you can count it 9.

listen to the bass drum.

talk box is in 6

after talk box you can count it 5 and 4.

there might have been a bit in there before the talk box in 11. not sure.

Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2006 :  3:51:34 PM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
i don't think that the bass drum is counting even pulses. listen from :20

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2006 :  9:15:13 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I just put this on my iPod but have yet to give it the listen it deserves. I agree on the first couple songs though.
Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2006 :  11:06:22 PM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
on second thought, i think :20 is in a slow 3. i'm thinking of the very beginning. if that's in 3, it's subdivided very strangely.

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page

Biff the Pig
Chatterbox

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2006 :  4:12:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Biff the Pig's Homepage  Reply with Quote
so does anyone have any opinions on where this album stands compared to other tool albums? best, worst, somewhere in between?

www.myspace.com/travismoore3
Go to Top of Page

JoeGamo05
Chatterbox

USA
279 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2006 :  5:08:09 PM  Show Profile  Send JoeGamo05 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
the pot is the best song on that album :)

resetta stoned is crazy too.

When the trees start walking, the ground starts moving, your insane, your insane
Go to Top of Page

Saint Jude
Alien Abductee

USA
2144 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2006 :  12:43:08 AM  Show Profile  Send Saint Jude an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
so does anyone have any opinions on where this album stands compared to other tool albums? best, worst, somewhere in between?

i would say is good, but not great.

Aenema and Lateralus are their best works by far. Get those first.

This album seems to be more of the same to me really. But it is deffinetly tool.

Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2006 :  5:11:15 PM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
as much as i love tool, i generally separate their tracks into two categories. one i call "songs." the other i call "bullshit." in the bullshit category, i would put things like "faaip de oiad" "mantra" "useful idiot" "disgustipated" and "ions." everything i file neatly under the songs category. although admittedly the panning in ions is pretty cool.

the trouble with 10,000 days is that before, tool would make their bullshit stuff separate tracks. i could skip over those tracks and thank the stars i'm not one of those up ass tool fans who listen the whole thing through because they think that not listening to a random two and a half minutes of static with some guy talking about aliens or acid fucks up the flow of music. but with 10,000 days, they don't do the listener that favor. they've crammed their bullshit into the same tracks as their kick ass songs. so now if you want to listen to a good song, you gotta sometimes sit through between 30 seconds or 1 minute of stupidness. "intension" has 30 seconds of almost nothing in the beginning. "lost keys" has another 30 seconds of one held out note. "wings for marie" days has 45 seconds of a single bell hit every 8 seconds. luckily, things like "viginti tres" and "lipan conjuring" are their own tracks. viginti tres is on there to give pseudo-intellectual tool fans something squabble over the meaning of on internet message boards. i have no fucking clue why lipan conjuring is there. it's completely random. don't look for some subtle meaning. completely. random.

i know someone might call me out and said that the beginnings of these songs are to set up the atmosphere or tone or get into the flow or some such thing. i would suggest that, if that's the case (open for debate,) then there doesn't need to be half a minute of it. and i know, the "wings for marie" thing at the beginning is because every time a bell rings an angel gets its wings. does there need to be 45 seconds of it? no. that's self-indulgent overkill. we get it. your dead mom was great, she should get lots of wings. get on with the fucking song, please.

all that being said, the actual songs on the cd are awesome.

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page

rubylith
Fluffy-Esque

1915 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2006 :  12:01:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit rubylith's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I listened to it for the first time last night and it fucking knocked me off my ass. There was some killer shit on there. Dan I know what you are talking about with the "bullshit", lol, pretty funny. I actually enjoy all the abient stuff, when it goes to experimental noise I will start fast fowarding, but I usually like there crazy ambience and stuff. Yea so I cranked that shit to 11 at like 2am this morning at my house, sat in the dark and listened to it, don't ask my why, I have problems, lol. What may be odder is that before the listening, we watched "Throw Momma From The Train", perhaps the poorest movie ever made, that I think has a clear connection between why this country is full of murdeous criminals. I mean that movie is twisted and it's on TBS and shit on Sundays, fucking dudes trying to kill people in a funny sort of way...yee haw. Anyway what the hell am I talking about? Oh yea, Tool rules, but between the movie and 10,000 days I was feeling pretty morbid last night, haha! Oh yea did to mention the mushrooms? hah
Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2006 :  01:38:52 AM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
i wasn't knocked off my ass, not in the same way i was with lateralus, but the cd is pretty fantastic. i don't mind some of the ambient stuff, but my patience for it runs thin kind of fast.

by the way, i have figured out every single obscure, strange, crptyic, mystic, odd and unusual lyric and noise in every tool song, ever. and i'm not just talking about the obvious double meanings, either. i mean the weird shit. the stuff tool fans still argue about today. i'm talking about the meaning of "saturn ascends/choose one or ten" in "the grudge," the thematic significance of "lipan conjuring," and every other last thing like that. here it is:

they just throw random, mysterious sounding shit in their music and lyrics as a joke on their stupid fans. every crazy, acid induced theory, every 20,000 word explaination on songmeanings.net, and every single connection to some extrodinarially obscure occult/arcane practice, rite, and reference is a huge joke to the band members. none of it has any meaning or mind blowing significance. people who interpret tool in exruciating detail, who dwell on the profound meaning of every strange little sound and oddball lyric would do just as well to throw all that shit out the window. their favorite band is laughing at them.

that's my interpretation, anyway.

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page

rubylith
Fluffy-Esque

1915 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2006 :  10:50:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit rubylith's Homepage  Reply with Quote
haha RIGHT ON.

Thats great. Yea my favorite is probably undertow, I remember listening to that when I was like 12 or something, my friends brother had it and I never heard anything like it then. They are a terrific band, and christ some of those time signatures are just nuts! But yea I agree with you, some people look a little too deep into their meanings, but, I'm sure thats the point.

I was thinking the other night, how much it must suck being such a big band, and having to deal with millions of people obsessed with you. Especially American people, hah!

i'm just kidding, anyway, good review Dan, you are very well spoken.
Go to Top of Page

thomasode
Yak Addict

565 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2006 :  6:43:59 PM  Show Profile  Send thomasode an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I thought tool was going to sell out on this one, but I was thankfully proven wrong, this entire CD is amazing, Track 1 is my favorite but the whole CD embodies Tool as a band and it really came together nicely. I'm still pissed I couldnt get tickets to see them in Denver
Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2006 :  01:41:28 AM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
i'm surprised a tool fan would even use the phrase "sell out." read the lyrics to "hooker with a penis" and see what tool thinks about that phrase.

maybe i've mentioned this before, but when someone says "sell (sold) out" the only thing really being said is "i don't like the music they play anymore." you say that you were afraid that they were going to sell out, but then were relieved that the cd was amazing. so if you didn't find the cd to be any good, would you then have claimed they sold out? and band sells out when you don't like their cd? it strikes me as arrogant, to pass such a condemnation on a band's artistic merit simply because what they put out you don't like.

this isn't directed at a specific person, although if it sounds like it applies to you, then maybe it does. you would know better than me. i've struggled to find some other meaning, what people think they mean, when they say "sell out." it seems like the general idea is that they've put selling cds ahead of their own artistic vision. and they come to this conclusion because what the artist puts out fails to meet whatever standards this person has. my question every time someone cries "sell out" is "and just who the fuck are you?" saying someone sells out is also saying you can distingiush between an artistic choice to change direction and a choice to change the music to sell more. and i would suggest that most people can't tell the difference. not really. usually it's because people who say "sell out," and this is going to sound mean, don't know shit about the process of making art. really, you think band x sold out because everyone likes them now? isn't possible that they enjoy or are influenced by a current musical trend? or isn't it possible that people have just started to pick up on their music? the person who says "sell out" usually can't tell, because they have no frame of reference. i'm a firm believer in the idea that sometimes people aren't qualified to form opinions on certain topics.

i have my ideas on "selling out." they're fairly simple. "selling out" is taking money for music. period. the difference between selling your cd for 5 bucks a pop out of the trunk of your car and signing a contract with a multinational record label is, only a matter of degree. but that's not the at the center of my view on selling out. the only thing i care about, the only thing that's important, is the sound that goes from their instruments to my ears. as far as musicians go, that's the only thing in the world that matters. selling out is irrelevent. music is sound. it's not money. it's not politics. it's not ink on a piece of manuscript paper. it's not lyrics. i think, to judge a musician by anything else but the music, the sounds, is to miss the point entirely.

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page

Thilo
Is Anybody Here?

1 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2006 :  10:51:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Plenty of artists make money without selling out. Selling out is comprimising your artistic integrity to make money.

Maybe Maynard is totally into Brazillian Jazz, but couldnt make money off it so he makes this stuff instead. That would make him a sellout. But if this is the kind of music he would make in a communist society, then hes not a sellout.

Without knowing the artist or what they stand for, theres no way of knowing whether or not they sold out. We can assume Tool is genuine, but nobody knows for sure.

And I have sex with cows.
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2006 :  11:05:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I saw a cow give birth last night at the fair in my town. That calf was on its feet in seconds.

Steve Hackett: "I'm my own opening act, you see."
Tim (before "Faceoff"): "Peace, love....and SEX!"
cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2006 :  8:32:14 PM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
that's a fine point of view, philo. and i think that your definition one people use, whether if it's what they mean or not. and you're right, without knowing the artist, you can't really tell what's a financial decision and what is done purely for art. but your definition is not my definition, although it's probably a more reasonable one. and that's the problem with the term; there's no universal definition, but the connotation is certainly universal. i tend not to assign a negative or positive feeling to the phrase "sellout," because a) my definition doesn't allow for it and b) more importantly, it's irrelevent because it has nothing to do with the music. a band can "sell out" by any definition and still make great music.

also, welcome to the boards. stay the fuck away from my cows.

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page

spaceoddity
Try A Little Harder

Belgium
65 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2006 :  9:35:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
i wasn't knocked off my ass, not in the same way i was with lateralus, but the cd is pretty fantastic. i don't mind some of the ambient stuff, but my patience for it runs thin kind of fast.

by the way, i have figured out every single obscure, strange, crptyic, mystic, odd and unusual lyric and noise in every tool song, ever. and i'm not just talking about the obvious double meanings, either. i mean the weird shit. the stuff tool fans still argue about today. i'm talking about the meaning of "saturn ascends/choose one or ten" in "the grudge," the thematic significance of "lipan conjuring," and every other last thing like that. here it is:

they just throw random, mysterious sounding shit in their music and lyrics as a joke on their stupid fans. every crazy, acid induced theory, every 20,000 word explaination on songmeanings.net, and every single connection to some extrodinarially obscure occult/arcane practice, rite, and reference is a huge joke to the band members. none of it has any meaning or mind blowing significance. people who interpret tool in exruciating detail, who dwell on the profound meaning of every strange little sound and oddball lyric would do just as well to throw all that shit out the window. their favorite band is laughing at them.

that's my interpretation, anyway.

All though I'm not a Tool fan, I would have to agree that people will eat just about thing they are given as long as it takes them away from doldrums of their everyday life.Those who might think themselves immune still gobble it all up and speculate on what the significance of it is, just what it might mean.The best part is that someone is laughing their ass off as some get drunk on the Kool-aid over and over again.
Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2006 :  2:30:58 PM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
i don't have much of a complaint against taking yourself away from the doldrums of everyday life. we all do that.

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page

Batstone
Chatterbox

Canada
281 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2006 :  12:12:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Batstone's Homepage  Send Batstone an AOL message  Reply with Quote
yea 10,00 days is a great cd, i downlaoded the leak long before the release, but recently bought the cd... amazing tracks. My favs would be, Vicariously, The Pot, Right In Two and 10,000 days. All great songs. I just wish they would realease a dvd

www.myspace.com/adambatstone
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000