New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Zack
Try A Little Harder

USA
73 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2006 :  12:12:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey, does anyone know how tim is able to slow down and speed up the pitch of his playing. Sounds like he turns the repeat up on his dd-5 and runs that into something(what!?)to speed up/slow down swells and such then layers over them. Does anyone know what he does it with?

Zack

Hopeful Rolling Waves
Alien Abductee

South Sandwich Islands
2154 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2006 :  1:43:35 PM  Show Profile  Send Hopeful Rolling Waves an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I think it's just him playing with the delay time knob on the DD-5 or DL-4.

http://db.etree.org/hopefulrollingwaves/ < My Trading List
Go to Top of Page

Bakun214
Try A Little Harder

USA
76 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2006 :  1:54:35 PM  Show Profile  Send Bakun214 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I think it's the delay time knob on his DD-5..at least that is what I was told.

Aliens from other dimensions love you man...
Go to Top of Page

Zack
Try A Little Harder

USA
73 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2006 :  2:13:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's not the DL-4 or the DD-6 used alone or together. I think maybe if he ran a dd-5 or 6 into another dd-5 or 6, he may be able to use the 2nd delay time to speed it up or down. Or i was thinking he uses the moog at the end of his setup and uses the frequency/rate knobs. I dont know, what do u think?

Zack
Go to Top of Page

Hopeful Rolling Waves
Alien Abductee

South Sandwich Islands
2154 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2006 :  11:32:56 PM  Show Profile  Send Hopeful Rolling Waves an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I told you what I think, I am pretty sure I am right.

Go to Top of Page

Ranting Thespian
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2006 :  12:29:16 AM  Show Profile  Send Ranting Thespian an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I know he used to do that with his DD-5, before he ever got his DL-4. But, from what I've been hearing now-adays, they seem to be longer loops than the DD-5 can handle. So I think he is doing what you hear on his DL-4 mostly these days.

. . . Actualy, I just looked at the video tape I have of of Tim on Craig Kilborn, and yes he is doing it on his DL-4.

But the DD-5 or even the Line 6 Echo Park Delay (which I have) you can do that, but not with as long of a delay as with the DL-4.

. . . I actualy prefer the Echo Park Delay over the DD-5 (DD-3, DD-4, or DD-6 as well), but to each their own.

Not communicating can hurt more than any word that can be said -

Nick
-the Ranting Thespian
Go to Top of Page

Bakun214
Try A Little Harder

USA
76 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2006 :  2:50:05 PM  Show Profile  Send Bakun214 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
How would you go about doing that on the DL-4? I have one..still can't figure it out..

Go to Top of Page

Ranting Thespian
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2006 :  9:11:16 PM  Show Profile  Send Ranting Thespian an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Don't know, don't own one. I think you best bet is to e-mail Line 6 about it.

Nick
-the Ranting Thespian
Go to Top of Page

Zack
Try A Little Harder

USA
73 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2006 :  6:42:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was about 10 feet away from him when he was playing...its some sort of wierd connection between the dl-4 and the dd-5 or 6. I swore he had two dd-5's or6's running into each other, but i could be wrong. I've had a DL-4 and a DD-6 for 3 years, and neither one on their own does it...i've tried.

Zack
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2006 :  12:20:50 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote

Maybe this will help, here is a pic of TR's current 6 string setup. TR has switched to Fishman acoustic DI's from his former SansAmp acoustic DI's, there are 2 Boss DD-5's, a volume pedal and of course the MoogerFooger which he has only added to the 6 string setup since he nixed the electric portion of the set.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2006 :  08:09:23 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
small correction:

TR is actually using a DD-6 and a DD-5. The one on the left is a DD-6 and the one on the right is the DD-5. TR said he uses the reverse function on the DD-5 to do the affect the pitch. It has an octave range or something. He said he will sometimes affect it then shift if over to the DD-6 as a loop. Hope this makes sense to the tech heads. Hard to translate this stuff when I don't understand it myself. LOL

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson
Go to Top of Page

Bakun214
Try A Little Harder

USA
76 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2006 :  11:52:27 AM  Show Profile  Send Bakun214 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks a lot fluffy! ..I suppose I'll have to invest in a dd-5 sooner or later.

Go to Top of Page

Ranting Thespian
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2006 :  7:10:32 PM  Show Profile  Send Ranting Thespian an AOL message  Reply with Quote
You can do it with an Echo Park, I've tried it. But you have to be slow about it, or it will just get all mushed up . . . but I do that on purpose sometimes :) . Gives me a kewl effect, I can even get it to sound like a space ship flying off, that one impresses the ladies . . . ok well the only lady I've shown it to is my mom . . . guess it doesn't count.

Edit: Looks like his line 6 DL4 is off the acoustic stage now.

Nick
-the Ranting Thespian
Go to Top of Page

sciphish
Chatterbox

USA
155 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2006 :  5:37:51 PM  Show Profile  Send sciphish an AOL message  Reply with Quote
If tims using two delay pedals, how does he get a loop out of it? I dont think theres a loop feature on the boss's. Or has he not been doing that this tour (i wouldnt know... I havent heard any of the new shows.)

I'm almost there...
Go to Top of Page

Hopeful Rolling Waves
Alien Abductee

South Sandwich Islands
2154 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2006 :  11:24:38 PM  Show Profile  Send Hopeful Rolling Waves an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Fun fun fun.

A bongload of fun to be exact. Gotta ante up for the damn DD-5.

Screw you, BOSS!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000