New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2006 :  10:55:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Please take a momement to check out this link. I am not wanting to get into a debate on this issue here but I know there are many of you out there who would be willing to join me by taking action and sending the letter to your congressman. It's easy to do on this site and it can make a difference.

This is just another way that big business and government are going to change our lives if we don't speak out. Action now can prevent complaining later.

Thanks,
Pam

http://www.savetheinternet.com/ This link gives you some more information on the internet threat.

http://action.freepress.net/freepress/join.html?r=D1wEYLY1mj1kE& This link is what I am signed up with. They notify me on a variety of government issues.

"It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!"Friedrich Nietzsche

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2006 :  11:34:37 AM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
seems sort of vague.

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2006 :  1:20:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dan, you were right, sorry, the link I had there wasn't what I thought it was. I put up a different one with more information and hopefully a link for anyone who wishes to sign up can easily do so. Once signed up it is just a click of the keyboard to send letters to your congressman.

"It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!"Friedrich Nietzsche
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2006 :  2:11:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Done and done! I'll have to print out the forms when I get home to mail them in. Thanks for the info, I hadn't heard much about the issue at all.

Steve Hackett: "I'm my own opening act, you see."
Tim (before "Faceoff"): "Peace, love....and SEX!"
cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2006 :  04:40:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I noticed another article on their site I thought was pretty good that Pam hadn't included, so here it is: http://www.freepress.net/news/15089 (You know I have to read anything with the word libertarian in it!)

I was also looking for more specific information about which bills the SaveTheInternet site was talking about, and which votes they are using for their Flash map of the U.S. My congressman (Barton) is one of the two they're spotlighting on their site, so I sent him an e-mail telling him to support network neutrality.

I was able to find a little more specific info in their FAQ. It's all about the Telecommunications Act, apparently.

quote:
Congress is now considering a major overhaul of the Telecommunications Act. The primary bill in the House is called the “Communications Opportunity, Promotion, and Enhancement Act of 2006” and is sponsored by Commerce Committee Chairman Joe Barton (R-Texas), Rep Fred Upton (R-Mich.), Rep. Charles Pickering (R-Miss.) and Rep. Bobby Rush (D-Ill.).

The current version of the COPE Act includes watered-down net neutrality provisions that are essentially meaningless. An amendment offered in a key subcommittee by Rep. Ed Markey (D-Mass.), which would have instituted real net neutrality requirements, was defeated after intense industry lobbying against it.
This is kind of annoying. Their own words indicate that the sponsors of this act think they are helping to encourage network neutrality, so the SaveTheInternet folks need to give us better info. We need tell our representatives EXACTLY what we're looking for so they can't be confused by the lobbyists that obviously confused them the first time.

teri
Twittering about the DC adventure since Dec '09...
(Micro)Blog * Photo Album
Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2006 :  05:08:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I did a quick search of the CATO (libertarian think tank) website to see what they had to say on the subject of Net Neutrality) and the only thing they have published is more than two years old... Darn.

http://www.cato.org/new/01-04/01-15-04r.html

quote:
For good reason, the Internet has a wild and wooly reputation; it's been a laboratory for all kinds of entrepreneurs, some wacky, some brilliant. This could change, however, if a band of big software companies called the "Coalition of Broadband Users and Innovators" convinces the Federal Communications Commission to regulate the Internet, according to Cato's Adam D. Thierer, author of a new Policy Analysis, "'Net Neutrality': Digital Discrimination or Regulatory Gamesmanship in Cyberspace?"
Despite the age of the article, it sounds like there's big money lobbyists on both sides of this issue...

Oops! Sorry, Pam, I just realized I might be starting that "big debate" you didn't want to get into.

teri
Twittering about the DC adventure since Dec '09...
(Micro)Blog * Photo Album
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2006 :  10:26:01 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
GMTA indeed!!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson
Go to Top of Page

spaceoddity
Try A Little Harder

Belgium
65 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2006 :  9:02:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm thinking my congress people are probablly getting tired of hearing from me by now but lets hope they do something.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000