Friends Aboard the Space Pod
 Guitar suggestions for me.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2001 :  5:50:32 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Ok, so this may be off topic (as per the fact that Tim doesn't in fact play a bass guitar). But I'm considering (going) to buy a bass guitar soon (within a week or two). I don't have much money (let's just be generous and say...$300.)

What would you people suggest. Musiciansfriend has a few that I would consider. That's probably where I'll buy, as my local shop only has used ones that I'm not crazy about. ZZsounds.com probably has some too...

So someone throw me some suggestions. Brands, # of strings, frets or not (probably an obvious one there...), knobs... Anything at all that will help me in my purchase...

This bass will be for a beginner (me) with no experience on a bass. Please advise.

Thanks a bunch.

-Jason-

I am a servant of the power behind the nothing.

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2001 :  3:22:00 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Ok, here's what I found...It is about two basses and an amp....with some questions...

First bass, an Epiphone, probably the preferred one. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=011123135602064049040243822512/search/g=home/detail/base_id/37461

Second bass, an Epiphone, exaclty like Tim's SG. A good looking one, but not sized like a regular bass.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=011123135602064049040243822512/search/g=home/detail/base_id/36615

And finally the amp, a Crate.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=011123135602064049040243822512/search/g=home/detail/base_id/36176

My question...will that amp (a bass amp) be useful with an acoustic guitar as well (a 12 string, actually)?

And is Epiphone generally a good bass maker?

Thanks for the help.

-Jason-

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2001 :  5:01:22 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I am partial to SVT for basses, but keep in mind they are very heavy. REAL heavy. But they sound great. They sound HEAVY as well. That is what is really important for a BASS head and cabinet.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy ( <>..<> )
Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2001 :  5:09:56 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Unless they have one for about $200, then count me out. I would love to get a really good bass, but I just can't. Maybe I should wait...

Anyway, I emailed the people at musiciansfriend.com and they said that amp (the bass amp) would be fine for the bass guitar and that people often ran a 12 string guitar thru a bass amp. Has anyone else heard that (playing a 12 string with a bass amp)? And why would you do that?

Well, I'll probably just have to figure out all that by myself, as per my having 75% of the posts in this thread...

-Jason-

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000