Major league ass. r/o
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

AGirlNamedPsycho
Try A Little Harder

USA
70 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2005 :  12:48:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit AGirlNamedPsycho's Homepage  Send AGirlNamedPsycho an AOL message  Reply with Quote
In the tradition of tape decks, Xerox machines, mp3s, etc... Looks like the next target is internet tablature.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/4508158.stm

This is some serious bullshit. Sure, if you're one of those guys who yanks some career guy's 45-page fully detailed tab of Rush's 2112 and posts it on the Net under your name, you're doing someone a disservice. But how many of us learned to play because of the vast resource the Internet represents? This is just fucken rotten.

rubylith
Fluffy-Esque

1915 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2005 :  06:06:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit rubylith's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Freedom isn't free...
Go to Top of Page

Zachmozach
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1534 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2005 :  1:27:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've really got no complaint, because now people might have to learn to read music, and do their own transcribing.

Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2005 :  11:35:56 PM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
i don't see the problem. tabs don't really represent music that well, if at all. and besides, most of that shit is wrong anyway.

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2005 :  2:41:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dan p.

i don't see the problem. tabs don't really represent music that well, if at all. and besides, most of that shit is wrong anyway.

Agreed. For me, tab helped get me started and on the path, but once I hit a certain point, I found that most of it was unhelpful and wrong, and discovered that figuring something out by ear was a lot more rewarding. If I'm in a rush I'll still look up some chords for songs, but I could get by without em.

Steve Hackett: "I'm my own opening act, you see."
Tim (before "Faceoff"): "Peace, love....and SEX!"
cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

AGirlNamedPsycho
Try A Little Harder

USA
70 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2005 :  12:55:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit AGirlNamedPsycho's Homepage  Send AGirlNamedPsycho an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I might have a biased opinion because my schooling as a musician has come almost entirely from three places; high school jazz band, the Internet, and the road. And I spent a greater deal of my time looking at theory rather than transcriptions, which is ultimately healthier IMO. I have to say though, that the change in attitude towards music as a profession and way of life has changed significantly over the last 50 years. Bands used to be notorious for just blatently theiving songs from each other and nobody cared; jazz guys used to do it before that even, they'd just change the head and call it a new song. Hendrix covered the entirety of a Beatles album 3 days after it came out and it was this phenomenal kind of flattery. Remember like 10 years ago when the Verve got sued over having a few seconds of a Rolling Stones song sampled so low in the mix that it's not even audible? I know certain corners of the industry have gotten out of hand; My Morning Jacket got royally fucked when their album came out online before it hit stores, but then again Wilco's Yankee Hotel seemed to do just fine. I dunno, maybe I'm just worried that I'll get my ass chewed on because I donated tabs of DMB's first couple albums in the greatest detail I could; it represented hundreds of hours of listening and work on my part and I turned around and gave them up for nothing, and now the sites that carry them might get worked over for those among many other people's work and interest in simply advancing the resource that was available.
You know what it really reminds me of? Those assholes who call you during dinner trying to sell you credit reports, when in most states you're entitled by law to receive free credit reports. Just because someone sees a free service and decides they could make money off of it doesn't mean the guys doing it for free should stop, right? It's that zero-sum economics, or whatever you call it; if someone's losing money it's because someone else is making money. It's not about the music in the end, the means aren't there to justify the content of the ends, rather the benefits. This is coming from a poor-ass musician who can't say he's in it for the money because it just isn't there, so take whatever you want to heart and throw out the rest.
Go to Top of Page

Zachmozach
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1534 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2005 :  5:27:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't see how they can sue you for a transcription anyway unless it's comercially available. Either way it's not going hurt me. If it represents your own work of a song and is not used to make money and comes with the standard tab disclaimer then I don't see what they will get you for.

Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2005 :  12:02:55 AM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
i think that this will fall by the wayside, like the "don't photocopy music" thing. trust me, no one pays any fucking attention to that. every school i've been to does it. same with "do not duplicate on the keys." everyone will just shrug their shoulders and keep on doing whatever it was they were doing.

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2006 :  12:53:46 PM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I doubt this will really fly because generally, tabs are just on person's interpretation of the music and can be very wrong. I think it's going to be hard shut down something that, and most times, is just a loose, inaccurate version of the original.

It would be like telling people, "You can't figure out how to play a song on your own, and then teach it to someone else."

Go to Top of Page

JemezFoodPeople
Chatterbox

USA
330 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2006 :  1:11:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit JemezFoodPeople's Homepage  Send JemezFoodPeople an AOL message  Reply with Quote
The user-interpretation argument wont really be relevant here because the basis of the attack on onlien tabs is that they are a derivative of a copyrighted work- this is against the law. Even though they are suually wrong and give the original artist the credit for their work, it's still seen as jeopardizing the potential business they lose by not selling published tab books.

I'm not sure where I stand on the tabs of songs that don't have official books (such as most of TIM's works, and many indie bands), but perhaps they can spin that off as : "well, there woudl be official tab books, if there were a demand for them, but the demand is being su-pplanted by these doggone online tab sites."

Personally, I'm upset that online tabs are in jeopardy. I have learned a lot by looking online at tabs, especially powertabs (the site that has been scared into discontinuing their tabs). Also, I have been influenced to PURCHASE several CDs and pieces of music because I first saw the music(/tab), and thought the tab looked unique and interesting enough to want to check out the artist. After all, you cannot actually learn anything about the song from the TAB only, unless you actually have a recording of the song.

All this being said however, I have only bought one official score of a song, thoguh I've looked at thousands of tabs. I guess that's their point.

this is a forum with some helpful, and some unhelpful people putting their 2 cents in:

http://forum.powertabs.net/viewforum.php?f=24

"Do you have the patience to wait
till your mud settles and the water is clear?
Can you remain unmoving
till the right action arises by itself?"
-Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

www.mattwinn.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000