jazz
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

chip616
Is Anybody Here?

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2001 :  2:14:46 PM  Show Profile  Send chip616 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Any jazz heads wandering out here on the board. Drop me an email we can exchange favortie artists and shit.O by the way, anybody want to check out some nasty guitar players, pick up Mike Stern's "Play", it featured 3 of the best players ive ever heard. Mike, who played for Miles Davis, John Scofield who also played for Miles, and Bill Frisell. And his rythm section is fuckin' tight.

peace

All ya need is peace, love, and oreos

Jason
Chatterbox

194 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2001 :  3:14:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I appreciate jazz very much man...After playing for about 10 years now I think it is just a natural progression to move towards jazz...as far as playing goes. Oddly enough though I like more brass than guitar...My favorite would probably have to be John Coltrane...

Go to Top of Page

ujohnb01
Chatterbox

USA
107 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2001 :  4:55:19 PM  Show Profile  Send ujohnb01 an AOL message  Reply with Quote

On the 1st day God created Tim.
Go to Top of Page

ujohnb01
Chatterbox

USA
107 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2001 :  4:55:50 PM  Show Profile  Send ujohnb01 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Dave Brubeck rulz!

Go to Top of Page

Dave S
Chatterbox

USA
145 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2001 :  10:02:34 PM  Show Profile  Send Dave S an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Yeah man, Jazz is definitely my first love, music-wise. (Up there with Tim) I'm a sax man myself and lately i've been very much into Phil Woods, that guy was freakin badass =D Just got his album Musique Du Bois from cd now on monday, it was recently re-released by 32 Jazz. Other players that i'm into are Joshua Redman, he's great and he's still touring, that's a bonus. Also Michael Brecker, Eric Marienthal... Dexter Gordon, Sonny Rollins, and of course Coltrane....Parker and Stitt not so much, I admire their technique and skill at improv but their music just doesn't hold that much emotion for me. Maybe i'm just not advanced enough jazz-wise to fully appreciate their playing.

Other than sax, I appreciate Tim's jazz playing, along with Miles, and basically anyone associated with quintet. Been listening to a little bit of Metheny lately, not too into that though...Bela Fleck and Victor Wooten are great, they definitely have a style all of their own, and the Yellow Jackets are always interesting to listen too. If you have any good jazz mp3s/shn that i might like drop me a line.

Go to Top of Page

Dave S
Chatterbox

USA
145 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2001 :  10:03:34 PM  Show Profile  Send Dave S an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Speaking of Dave Brubeck....Paul Desmond was a decent sax player too, i really like the smoothness he plays with on Take Five.

Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2001 :  11:21:52 PM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
scofield is awesome. i have one of his cds...um...a go-go. good shit.

when you think about it, mud is just wet dirt.
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
Is Anybody Here?

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2001 :  02:12:44 AM  Show Profile  Send Sarah an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Yeah I've gotten really into jazz the past year. miles davis, sketches of spain is the sound track to my life. i love it, i live in new orleans and im around good music most of the time. Im still in high school so i started goin this a school for the arts, New Orleans Creative Center for Arts, or nocca and im in a Jazz ensemble and i play guitar so i get to learn so much and its just beautiful. they have a huge music library and i can take cd's home all the time so i have access to a lot of good stuff. coltrane is great i really love parker and Charles Mingus. he makes me want to play upwright bass. I like all kinds of music and its great to have a jazz influence on my playing. also i think i know the guitar better as far as soloing goes cause i can be more expressive and free with whatever comes and i can hear the notes in my head before i play em.

Sarah Q
Go to Top of Page

ujohnb01
Chatterbox

USA
107 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2001 :  05:36:04 AM  Show Profile  Send ujohnb01 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Do you all know how fucked up Miles was?

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2001 :  08:57:22 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
OK here we go:
John McLaughlin and Mahavishnu Orchestra
Shakti
Stanley Clarke
Billy Cobham
Tony Williams
Jaco Patorius
Joe Zawinul
Weather Report
Coltrane
Miles(especially Tribute to Jack Johnson)
Professor Longhair(one of my all time faves)
Louis Armstrong
Glenn Miller
Stan Getz
Django Reinhardt
SadnotHappy
Jean Luc Ponty plays Zappa
Frank Zappa(Jazz from Hell)
John Zorn and with Naked City(freaky shit)
Return to Forever
Larry Coryell(you should all check out his acoustic stuff his
electric stuff is pretty amazing as well. He has a
couple of duet acoustic albums with Phillip Catherine
that are well worth a listen)
Al DiMeola John McLaughlin Paco DeLucia "Passion Grace & Fire"
and "Friday Night in San Francisco" (these 2 albums
are amazing! 3 acoustic guitars going at it. 1 is mixed
to the left channel and 1 to the right channel and 1 in
the middle, so you can distinguish each players parts.
AMAZING We listen to these on tour alot.)
Jazz vocalist faves:
Cab Calloway
Billie Holiday
Al Jarreau(this guy can skat)
Bessie Smith

Man I could go on forever, guess I would have to say those are the ones that top the list. Anybody interested in recommendations I would be more than happy. JAZZ IS DEAD!!!!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy ( <>..<> )
Go to Top of Page

chip616
Is Anybody Here?

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2001 :  11:37:47 AM  Show Profile  Send chip616 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Yea Fluffy, Friday Night in S.F is definately fucking amazing, I was just dropped when I that album. One of my other faves is Kind of Blue by Miles, it reminds me of tim when he plays with puke matrix, the song just have little signposts about where the players are supposed to be and so much of it is straight emotional improv, just awesome. Hey thanks for the list man I know and love most of them but Im gonna check out some of those vocalists you mentioned.

peace

P.S. See if you can convince Tim to scat during Loose Interpretations. :)

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2001 :  2:26:00 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I forgot to mention one that I discovered right b4 this last tour.

12th House "The Twelfth House"

It is like Pink Floyd meets Jazz with some pre-70's dead type jamming. It is awesome! It's on Sonic Dust Records. Check it out!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy ( <>..<> )
Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2001 :  12:25:56 AM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I love Jazz!! And I actually have to admit that it was DMB that introduced me to Jazz. I've yet to get into the older stuff but I'd definitely like to! Here is what I listen to right now... keep in mind I'm a new fan.

Medeski Martin & Wood
Bela & da Tones
Soko
Greg Howard
John Mclaughlin (friday night in SF baby!!!!)
Ottmar Liebert
VTT2
Victor Wooten
Zappa

That seems like a small list... I must be missing stuff.

Anyways I forgot to mentio that I only dig fusion jazz/ avant-gard kinda stuff. I can't stand Smooth Jazz. (gag)

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2001 :  01:07:03 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Kenny G baby! Now thats jazz, NOT!!!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy ( <>..<> )
Go to Top of Page

Dave S
Chatterbox

USA
145 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2001 :  9:18:21 PM  Show Profile  Send Dave S an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Oh my god! They killed Kenny!

....i WISH....

Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2001 :  11:25:48 PM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Jazz is good.
-J

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2001 :  12:03:10 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Kenny is NOT........................... Jazz!!!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy ( <>..<> )
Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2001 :  12:12:05 AM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I love how he is considered to be a joke by all of his contemporaries.
-J

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2001 :  12:14:22 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
yet he still sells millions of CDs. HMMMMMMMMMM A true mystery of the world, kinda like where the hell did Xar come from!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy ( <>..<> )
Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2001 :  12:17:09 AM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Doctors have to have SOMETHING to play in their offices while they check pulses, give prostate exams, drill teeth etc...
-J

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2001 :  12:34:17 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Waynes World, Waynes World, Party Time, Excellent!!!!!!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy ( <>..<> )
Go to Top of Page

Saint Jude
Alien Abductee

USA
2144 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2001 :  12:36:03 AM  Show Profile  Send Saint Jude an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Party on Fluf!

Patriotism is a maggot in their heads. - Henry D. Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

Dave S
Chatterbox

USA
145 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2001 :  12:40:22 AM  Show Profile  Send Dave S an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Kenny is jazz for people who know ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about jazz. So his 'music' doesn't even have to really be jazz for people to consider it jazz... all it takes is for Oprah to tell them that it's good and they will buy it...and they tell their friends that it's good, and their friends buy it...and so on...helping our least-favorite guy (next to mr.durst) sell millions of cds. anyone can sell cds with major backing by a record label...but only someone with true talent can have real fans like tim.

As for why doctors play kenny, it's probably because it is so mind numbing that it serves as a pain killer....seriously =D

Go to Top of Page

FredDurst
Is Anybody Here?

19 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2001 :  01:04:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hold on Now!! I can take the abuse, but comparisons to Kenny G, I may just have to open a can of whoop ass and sing a chorus of "Who let the dogs out" on your ass.(Great song by the way, wish I had written it) Catchy little ditty, I may just have to download it off Napster. Woops, did I say that?

FD "KING OF ALL I SURVEY"
Go to Top of Page

crash258
Chatterbox

USA
256 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2001 :  01:25:51 AM  Show Profile  Send crash258 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
dude "who let the dogs out" is complete trash,

with a login name like "fred durst" i dont think your entitled to say wat is or isnt "good music"

-p

Go to Top of Page

chip616
Is Anybody Here?

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2001 :  4:22:17 PM  Show Profile  Send chip616 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hey this one goes out to "Freddurst", dude why dont you keep your shit to yourself, this is a site for tim fan's to talk about music or anything else just dont fuckin ruin it by bein a dick and saying stupid stuff.

peace

Go to Top of Page

Sarah
Is Anybody Here?

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2001 :  11:22:48 PM  Show Profile  Send Sarah an AOL message  Reply with Quote
A random question. has anyone ever seen the instructional bass video by flea of the chilli peppers?with river phoenix hosting? theyre a decent band but flea is actually a pretty talented musician. It is the absolute funniest thing i have ever seen in my life. The kid is crazy but he knows jazz real well and he sings this armstrong song thats like " all that meat and nooo potatoesss... just ain't right like greeeennn toommatoes" mman. he's so goofy and innocent like dopey and he scratches his head alot and uses lil words, but he really knows how to listen to people and he emphasized that whith improvisational music you have to listenin and respect the people your playing with and love is what its all about. then he made a bunch of funny noises

Sarah Q
Go to Top of Page

Fleabass76
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1026 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2001 :  11:37:48 PM  Show Profile  Send Fleabass76 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, i saw it, it's a hilarious video, even though it's not very informative from a bass player's perspective, but it's still in my video collection just because i love how someone can be so good while knowing (bookwise/theory) so little. This bass player in my reading class at Music Tech was ripping on him saying that he overplays too much and relies on slapping to get through songs and i almost slapped him. I made him buy Blood Sugar Sex Magik so he could hear how supportive and articulate he can be.

Insert Signature Here
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
Is Anybody Here?

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2001 :  11:48:57 PM  Show Profile  Send Sarah an AOL message  Reply with Quote
wow, im surprised someone knew what i was talking about. i think hes great he's an example of how great musicians are defined by their tecnique and all that good stuff

Sarah Q
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2001 :  03:26:21 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Not only by his technique, but also by his style. Some would argue that they are the same thing, but I disagree. I have seen lots of slappin bass players, but none come close to the originality and sheer precision of Flea. There are some others out there but you have to delve more into funk to find them. But Flea still slaps the hell out of it and still manages to make it melodic and rhythmic all at the same time. Flea is the man!!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy ( <>..<> )
Go to Top of Page

Xar666
Yak Addict

USA
546 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2001 :  05:56:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sometimes
Go to Top of Page

Fleabass76
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1026 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2001 :  8:55:33 PM  Show Profile  Send Fleabass76 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, someone can have "perfect" technique and still not be musical, that's where style comes in. Flea definitely has that. I think it's interesting that a post that started w/ jazz has come around to talking about Flea, not that there's anything wrong w/ that...so to segway back into jazz-if anyone wants to hear some great jazz bass players, check out Stanley Clarke, Ron Carter, Paul Chambers, Victor Wooten, John Pattitucci, and there are so many others. Peace

Insert Signature Here
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2001 :  04:35:07 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
May I add Jaco Pastorius to that list?

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy ( <>..<> )
Go to Top of Page

Fleabass76
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1026 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2001 :  10:40:41 PM  Show Profile  Send Fleabass76 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:

May I add Jaco Pastorius to that list?

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy ( <>..<> )

Yeah, and you can slap me in the face for not mentioning him...

"Rarely is the question asked: Is our children learning?"
-Da Bush
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2001 :  03:02:54 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
No slapping needed(unless your are into that kinda thing) Besides, I would rather see some Stanley Clarke slappin any day!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy ( <>..<> )
Go to Top of Page

crash258
Chatterbox

USA
256 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2001 :  3:43:09 PM  Show Profile  Send crash258 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Technique and Style,

two different things,

-p

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2001 :  06:13:08 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Better late than never, crash. Thanx for the backup.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2002 :  06:17:53 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I just thought with all the FNG's talking about Wooten and VTT and similar subjects, they might like to read some old comments by the board on some great JAZZ acts!!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

Evergreen
Yak Addict

960 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2002 :  2:32:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You probably answered this on another post but does TR have any major jazz influences?

If any of you get the chance to see Charlie Hunter you should go. He's an amazing fusion jazz guitarist whos kinda like a cross between Pat Martino and Scofield. He's not like anyone really but if you like either Martino or Scofield you'd love CH.

Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2002 :  8:44:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
jazz, let's see...here's my list of people

bela fleck and the flecktones
victor wooten solo stuff
vital tech tones
uncle moe's space wagon
charles mingus
jaco pastorius(god)
stanlet clarke
marcus miller
john coltrane
weather report
anything jazz mandolin
ray brown
oscar peterson trio
marting medeski wood
joni mitchell
pat metheny
and the list goes on...

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2002 :  4:24:08 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
EVERGREEN asked:
quote:
You probably answered this on another post but does TR have any major jazz influences?

Tim has had alot of jazz influences, he spent a good portion of his life only listening to jazz. I would say, if he had to pick the one who had influenced him the most, it would probably be John McLaughlin. Especially in McLaughlin's Shakti period. Hope this helps, GREAT to see you back, missed ya!!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

Evergreen
Yak Addict

960 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2002 :  4:29:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A friend just gave me the Shakti recording, by JM....it's sooooooo good! Independent of space and time I'd say. I think the recording is from the 70's or something, but you'd never guess when it was recorded. It goes from trippy spacey eastern-like stuff into incredible fusion guitar stuff and back and forth. I'm still not sure how that man's fingers move so quickly.

Go to Top of Page

dirtysloth
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1302 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2002 :  8:45:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm listening to a JM song called "The Wish" which I'm downloading right now. I can definitely see how this man has had a huge influence on Tim. I've never really taken the time to listen to his work. It looks like it's going to influence me too!

Peace,
Patrick

http://members.tripod.com/one4tim/index.htm
Go to Top of Page

powdrdogdmb
Chatterbox

USA
131 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2002 :  09:51:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit powdrdogdmb's Homepage  Send powdrdogdmb an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I think these guys need to be added onto the "working list": Stanley Turrentine, Branford Marsalis, Wynton Marsalis, and Mr. B. Goodman.
Peace Be With
-WBB

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger" Nietzche
Go to Top of Page

Evergreen
Yak Addict

960 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2002 :  10:10:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh my!!! how could we have forgotten them. The Marsalis boys are definite Hall of Famers. And I often listen to Benny on the way to work, bouncing all around the car all psyched(more energizing than the coffee). TR message buddy Hall of Famers that is. I had a little music lesson last night and found out JM's band collaboration is Remember Shakti not the recording's name. Fluffy can probably straighten me out on this. JM has done so much collaborative stuff it still mixes me up a little. All I know is it is all just so amazing. I think the stuff with Billy Cobham is my favorite stuff, but its kinda like TR's stuff....who could ever pick a fav!

Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2002 :  9:33:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
fleabass, you are the man! all those great bass players you mentioned, are so awesome! i'm really heavily into the bass playing style of music, supporting and solo work. some of the new guys that are great with that are stu hamm, michael manring, adam nitti...pretty amazing work! and for old-school upright standards, charles mingus, ray brown. God i love the bass!

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." -Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2002 :  9:57:41 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
They Stu him cause they love him.

-what-
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000