Classical Guitars
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kenneth
Chatterbox

218 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2005 :  10:16:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I made a huge mistake Saturday by going to The Guitar Center to check out some guitars. The only reason this is a mistake is because everytime I go to a place like this I get the itch to buy. It's a disease for me. I have a bit of a problem, when I see something I want I go after it at all cost. Anyway, I would like some of your opinions on classical guitars. I played a Cordoba Pro-R and couldn't put it down. I sat there and played it for at least an hour. I'll paste the link below that gives more info on this guitar. If anyone owns a classical guitar or has any recommendations for me then it would be greatly appreciated. I absolutely love the nylon strings. It sounds fantastic and it's absolutely stunning.

http://www.onlinerock.com/mf_store/guitar/c/Classical_Nylon_String_Acoustic_Guitars/Cordoba_Pro-R_Classical_Guitar_515770.htm

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2005 :  2:25:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like a beautiful instrument to me. I've also been looking into classical guitars, especially the more I listen to Steve Hackett and his solo acoustic stuff. If you want great classical playing, go to him. He's my second favorite guitarist after Tim.

Steve Hackett: "I'm my own opening act, you see."
Tim (before "Faceoff"): "Peace, love....and SEX!"
cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

Kenneth
Chatterbox

218 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2005 :  3:20:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arthen

Looks like a beautiful instrument to me. I've also been looking into classical guitars, especially the more I listen to Steve Hackett and his solo acoustic stuff. If you want great classical playing, go to him. He's my second favorite guitarist after Tim.

It is beautiful and sounds even better. What kind are you looking into buying? Is there a specific kind you're going after. I just saw this guitar, picked it up, and fell in love. I also played a few other ones in there but they weren't even close in my opinion. If I would have had the funds it's quite possible I would have walked out of there with that guitar. Instead, I may have to wait about 3 weeks. I even dreamed about the damn thing last night. I'm screwed. She's got me right were she wants me.
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2005 :  7:15:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not as up on brands as I am with regular acoustic or electric.

I'm idly looking now, whenever I make it to a guitar center or any shop, just to keep my options open. Cash is another factor. I too am afriad if I had the money, I'd probably buy one. Good luck with it all!

cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

Zachmozach
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1534 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2005 :  8:27:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ya, I can't make any reccomendations based on manfacturing quality, or anything, but I've played cordoba guitars in the similar price range and they've all sounded great.

Go to Top of Page

Kenneth
Chatterbox

218 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2005 :  08:59:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the input. I'm not as up to date on classical guitar brands either. I was originally going to look at a few Taylor's but when I saw the Cordoba I said screw the Taylor, I've got Martin's and don't need another steel string anyway. Now I found a new love, the classical. But I played a few they had and by far the Cordoba Pro-R was the best one in the store in my opinion. But, I'll go back, look over it again, play it some more, and then decide.

It was funny, I was in there playing some different guitars and this older fellow comes in with someone who works there. The older guy hadn't been playing long so he kept asking me to play guitars for him so he could hear how they sounded. All of the sudden, I became the sales man. I was telling him about the Martin he was looking at and giving him all kinds of details and the store worker just kind of stood there nodding. If he wound up buying that guitar then I should have gotten the commission.
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2005 :  2:29:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kenneth

I said screw the Taylor, I've got Martin's and don't need another steel string anyway.

Damn straight! I'd take my Martin over a Taylor any day of the week!

cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

Kenneth
Chatterbox

218 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2005 :  2:38:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Kenneth

I said screw the Taylor, I've got Martin's and don't need another steel string anyway.

Damn straight! I'd take my Martin over a Taylor any day of the week!

True... they're so loud and boomy! I love the tone. Plus, you can beat the hell out of them, on accident of course, and they just keep on ticken. First night I had my D-35 I turned and banged it into my bookcase. I freaked out! But I couldn't even find a mark on it. I've had it for about 5 years and it still looks brand new and I've played the shit out of it! Very durable...
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2005 :  3:21:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is your D-35 Acoustic/electric, or just strict acoustic? And if it's just acoustic, do you use a mic or a pickup?

cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

Kenneth
Chatterbox

218 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2005 :  3:36:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Is your D-35 Acoustic/electric, or just strict acoustic? And if it's just acoustic, do you use a mic or a pickup?

The D-35 model is strictly acoustic and I had this pickup installed:
http://gallery.bcentral.com/ProductDetails.aspx?GID=4585736&PID=2566996

Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2005 :  4:54:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How do you like it?

cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

Kenneth
Chatterbox

218 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2005 :  5:14:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

How do you like it?

I have no complaints. I like it. It has not mucked up on me once. You just have to make sure you take your guitar to someone who knows what they're doing. See, what they do is file down the saddle so the pickup fits underneath it. Therefore, when they put the saddle back on top of the pickup you want to have the same action on your guitar as to begin with or have them adjust it to however you like it. They should ask you about that before they begin and find out how you want it done. I liked the action on that guitar like it was to begin with. I don't prefer the strings too close to the fretboard or you can get some rattle.
Go to Top of Page

Kenneth
Chatterbox

218 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2005 :  10:47:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I took the big leap and bought that guitar Friday; Cordoba Pro-R. I'm in love with it and have barely been able to put it down. The neck is fuckin huge, similar to a 12 string neck but obviously only with 6 strings. So when I play that classical for a while and pick up my steel string Martin it feels so small in my hands... that's what she said.

Seriously, playing that classical guitar makes me better not only in general but on my other guitars as well. This guitar listed for around $1450 but I jewed them down to a little over a $1000 with some accesories thrown in. He was trying to high ball me and I said, "I'll walk out of here right now!" And of course, he came down just like I knew he would.

It comes with a hardshell HumiCase; has a humidifier that goes in the case. They messed up and put my guitar in a dreadnought case and I was like, "this guitar shouldn't be this loose in the case. It should be snug." So of course he fucked up and went to the back and got the right size case. You really have to watch those guys. Some really know what they're doing but the others have no fucking clue.

http://www.onlinerock.com/mf_store/guitar/c/Classical_Nylon_String_Acoustic_Guitars/Cordoba_Pro-R_Classical_Guitar_515770.htm
Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2005 :  10:53:27 AM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Awesome Kenny G. I love classical guitar... you just need to grow out your fingernails like Alex Fox and play some flamenco shit for us now.

Hahah... "that's what she said"... nice... saved me the trouble...

Tim Reynolds Downloads
I am not the albatross of love, I am the human ellipsis. I am dot dot dot. - Leo Kottke

I hate beating people over the head with anything. We can all make up our own minds. What we don’t have is enough music. More music please. - Leo Kottke
Go to Top of Page

Kenneth
Chatterbox

218 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2005 :  11:03:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yea, I've gone back and forth with the finger nail thing. I've grown them out and I've cut them off. I originally learned how to finger pick with just the tips of my fingers so that's really easier for me. You develop caluses on your picking fingers just like you do on your fretting fingers so it doesn't hurt like hell after a while. I can pick my 12 string better without nails. Nails seem to get in the way for me on the 12er. Plus, growing out your nails takes so much maintenance and care; I always either break one or cut them all off in a spur of a moment. Unless I'm mistaken, TR doesn't have long nails and he can pick like a champ as you all know. In fact, I believe he's playing a classical guitar in the Chaos View DVD, "You Are My Sanity".
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2005 :  1:42:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He is playing Classical on Sanity during Chaos View! Congrats on the new guitar, I'm infinitely jealous and happy for you. That is a beautiful guitar, how do you like it so far?

cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

Kenneth
Chatterbox

218 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2005 :  2:19:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

how do you like it so far?

I like it alot. I've had it 4 days and have almost gotten my money's worth already. I can just get lost and play that guitar for hours. Well, any of my guitars really but especially something new.

This one time... I was on drugs and I played guitar for like 5 hours straight. I looked up at the clock and was like, wow, that was cool. But I don't do drugs anymore. I just smoke pot. And ramble...
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2005 :  3:26:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, when I win the mega millions tonight, I'll buy the nicest classical guitar I can find!

cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

reednirvas
Is Anybody Here?

1 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2006 :  12:10:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I purchased the cordoba Pro-R about six months ago and absolutely love it. The sound is fantastic with rich tones. The only negative for me was the lack of markings for the 3,7,9, and 12th frett. Highly recommend
Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2006 :  12:57:36 PM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
if that bothers you, put little spots of tape in the side of the fretboard facing you on 3, 4, 6, 9, and 12. i did that for a little while. eventually you won't even need them. then you can just take them off.

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page

Kenneth
Chatterbox

218 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2006 :  2:03:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It was a little foreign to me at first also but it didn't take long getting used to it. The tape is a good idea but I just played it until it became more familiar. After a few days I didn't even notice it anymore.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000